S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying an Early Type R versus a later Type R

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Hey this black one is neat. It is a rare Portfolio car with the Ultra-Rare Aluminum Trim Package.....

Here is the link...Little pricey but heck it is a really rare 07...
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Old 05-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another nice black one. 2007 bit higher on the miles but has EVERY option including radar Cruise Control.

http://jaguar.niello.com/details.php?id=23540

Old 05-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Hey this black one is neat. It is a rare Portfolio car with the Ultra-Rare Aluminum Trim Package.....

Here is the link...Little pricey but heck it is a really rare 07...
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Nice cars, but two quick things...

#1 Why are the calipers on the first one painted red? They arent Brembo so I'm assuming the owner did it?

#2 I REALLY dislike that chrome strip on the boot lid on an ALL black vehicle. NOTHING else is chrome except for that. Does not fit or flow well at all. Fail.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is one of those on autotrader now in Riverside CA I think. I'm looking now and might go take a peak

Old 05-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
Nice cars, but two quick things...

#2 I REALLY dislike that chrome strip on the boot lid on an ALL black vehicle. NOTHING else is chrome except for that. Does not fit or flow well at all. Fail.
Unless I'm seeing things aren't the mirrors chrome?And leaper.

I love black or dark body colors but hate black interiors,too hot in summer,even with tinted windows(at least too hot here in Texas)

Old 05-11-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat

I love black or dark body colors but hate black interiors,too hot in summer,even with tinted windows(at least too hot here in Texas)

No your not seeing things I just noticed the mirrors. In my opinion from the rear it does NOT look right. Even with those mirrors, looks a little ridiculous. If your gonna do chrome, go all out with the trim etc. Dont just stick random chrome pieces on an all black body. Thats almost as good of an idea as the determinaton to produce the K car.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat

Yes, remember ALL S Types came with the leaper in North America.

Chrome mirrors are part of the package...

Old 05-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Veteran member

That is a rare Aluminum trim package car as well....Two in one day!

Now Bull wrote:
"No your not seeing things I just noticed the mirrors. In my opinion from the rear it does NOT look right. Even with those mirrors, looks a little ridiculous. If your gonna do chrome, go all out with the trim etc. Dont just stick random chrome pieces on an all black body. Thats almost as good of an idea as the determinaton to produce the K car. "

and:
"Nice cars, but two quick things...

#1 Why are the calipers on the first one painted red? They aren't Brembo so I'm assuming the owner did it?

#2 I REALLY dislike that chrome strip on the boot lid on an ALL black vehicle. NOTHING else is chrome except for that. Does not fit or flow well at all. Fail. "

So, the car I pictured is a Portfolio package car...That included the red center caps, red brakes, chrome mirror covers and the lower mesh. Those items were not added by anyone. That is the way Jag made it, and they are really, really rare.

Jaguar changed the brakes on all S Types in 2006. The Brembos were dropped as were the two piston standard brakes. The R still got larger single piston calipers with the R logo.

Now all kidding aside...To be honest when I stand in my garage and compare my 05 S with my 85 Dodge 600 (a K car!) I am actually quite disappointed with the quality of the Jaguar. None of the chrome on my K is pitted nor coming loose. The leather shows no wear even though the car is 25 years old with over 40,000 miles on it. Heck even the seats are piped. The seats in my car are wearing out already. Granted, the K has been well cared for, but at the same time the constant sitting is not good for it either. There are no puddles or leaks. The lines are clean and dry..And most of those are still original. Dynamically, it was not a great car, but it is not falling apart either. That is even more amazing considering that it is a convertible with a tremendous amount of body flex. So, all teasing aside, my K car rag top is holding up MUCH better than my 20 year younger Jaguar....

Old 05-12-2010, 07:53 AM

Ok you know what I am going to retract my comment about the chrome covers on the side mirrors. The more I look at them, the more I think I MAY like them. If they were on a Honda Civic that would be one thing, but the Jag just may be able to pull it off........still hate the random chrome piece ont he boot lid.

Thats really cool that Jag added the lower mesh, do you think they manufactured them or got them from a place like Arden or Mina? I also like the red calipers, had them on my Porsche, just thought Brembo were the only quality manufacturers that used the red paint or coating prevelently.

Speaking of Arden, aren't they supposed to be "Jaguar's AMG". MB AMG's are very common and I would like to see more Jag/Arden offerings. They do fantastic work.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
Ok you know what I am going to retract my comment about the chrome covers on the side mirrors. The more I look at them, the more I think I MAY like them. If they were on a Honda Civic that would be one thing, but the Jag just may be able to pull it off........still hate the random chrome piece ont he boot lid.

Thats really cool that Jag added the lower mesh, do you think they manufactured them or got them from a place like Arden or Mina? I also like the red calipers, had them on my Porsche, just thought Brembo were the only quality manufacturers that used the red paint or coating prevelently.

Speaking of Arden, aren't they supposed to be "Jaguar's AMG". MB AMG's are very common and I would like to see more Jag/Arden offerings. They do fantastic work.
Hi Joe,

From what I have been able to gather, there isn't a factory Jaguar/Arden tie-in like there is for Mercedes/AMG. I would like to see it though as Arden does do some real high quality work. AMG used to be a separate company but then Mercedes was so impressed with their work they bought the company. Maybe Jaguar might do the same thing with Arden. Would make going to the Jaguar parts department much more interesting.

Mike

Old 05-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi guys. Thanks for the input. I just talked to my jag mechanic this morning and he said that as long as I get an 03 up, I'd be happy. He said that the improvements to those cars versus 02 and prior are huge. He said the difference between 03,04 and 05 and later is more subtle and that they got the bugs out by 03.

He said a customer of his got an 05 with 11k miles for $15k recently! I asked him if he knew of anymore of those and he said that the customer found the deal. I need to keep looking!

Old 05-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,429 Likes on 8,631 Posts

Cars.com has about 7 dozen S-Types within 250 miles of the greater L.A. area. All types, colors and condition, including several STR's in the mix.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:54 PM

I'll check that out. I found a black on black S type R, 2003 w 73k miles for 10k today. More miles than I'm looking for, but 10k is cheap!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts
Default S Type R

I just picked up a very clean 03 R, silver, w/89k, Jersey Shore area, no mods, for $11,900. These cars will do alot of miles if cared for properly. I notice it turns heads anywhere I go. Like an orca, I notice Lexus's, BMW's, Audis's, MB's, etc. become very nervous around it, not just because it looks like all business, it's modest 400 hp and all 410 lb/ft of torque all in at only 3200 rpms allows it to slip out very smartly. The non-supercharged must spool-up before launch or at a 60-100 dash.
Any suggestions regarding exhaust, pulley, air filter, ecu, etc.?

Old 05-14-2010, 06:03 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Could well be an excellent motor Bfs; mine's done 120,000mile and the engine doesn't consume oil at all, sounds great. In fact you wouldn't know the mileage unless you squinted at the mileometer.
Leedsman.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:38 AM

Update... sold my 02 S type yesterday. I'm going looking tomorrow at an 04 with 38k miles. The guy was asking $19k. After talking on the phone, he came down to $17500. I'd like to pay $16. We'll see how it goes....