S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C cold except when its hot!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy A/C cold except when its hot!

Whats going on guys...I have been driving myself CRAZY trying to figure out what is going on with this AC and the dealer only wants to charge me just to take a look at it.

I got the AC recharged and it blows great in the morning and when its not hot outside but I live in Atlanta and its ALWAYS hot outside. When its hot I can feel it but its not really cold enough to cool down the car.

any idea what it could be?

2001 S Class 4.0

Old 07-24-2014, 10:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm having the same problem, can anyone chime in with thier ideas..

Old 07-25-2014, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

One possibility is DCCV - they fail and tend to blow hot so fight the a/c

Lots of threads... do some reading.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

If you know your system is properly charged and holding its R134a with no leaks, then your compressor is probably in the process of dying. The factory compressor on my 2005 S-Type began to fade away in May 2010. As it slowly failed, it began to struggle more and more with keeping the interior sufficiently cool as summer approached. It could handle the task as long as the outside temps remained below 80 degrees. Once the mid-80s and into the 90s were upon us, it could no longer get the job done. A new compressor solved the problem. I went with an aftermarket unit through a trusted local A/C shop and it continues to provide ice-cold A/C on a daily basis more than four years later. Quite a few of us S-Type owners have had to replace our factory compressors and it sounds as if you'll be joining the club....

Old 07-25-2014, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
If you know your system is properly charged and holding its R134a with no leaks, then your compressor is probably in the process of dying. The factory compressor on my 2005 S-Type began to fade away in May 2010. As it slowly failed, it began to struggle more and more with keeping the interior sufficiently cool as summer approached. It could handle the task as long as the outside temps remained below 80 degrees. Once the mid-80s and into the 90s were upon us, it could no longer get the job done. A new compressor solved the problem. I went with an aftermarket unit through a trusted local A/C shop and it continues to provide ice-cold A/C on a daily basis more than four years later. Quite a few of us S-Type owners have had to replace our factory compressors and it sounds as if you'll be joining the club....
thank you for the detailed information...if you dont mind me asking how much did the job cost? where might I find a cie cold blowing after market compressor?

Old 07-25-2014, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

If I remember correctly I spent about $800 for the entire job including diagnosis, parts, and labor. I wanted to source my own compressor, hand it to them, and save about $200 but they would not allow this. I have since found a local shop that will allow me to source my own parts, so if another compressor fails I'll go there....

You can source compressors via Google using your car's year, make, and model along with the word "compressor". Be aware that just because the website info says it will fit your specific car, it may not. Research and verify before completing any purchase. Your greater challenge will be finding an A/C shop that will allow you to supply your own parts. Check with the independent A/C shops in your area as a first step. You'll need a proper diagnosis of what is actually wrong before you start looking for parts. Lots of places offer free or minimal-cost A/C system checks this time of year. Call around and ask. Just be sure you've selected a reputable shop because there's no margin for error when it comes to A/C service....

Last edited by Jon89; 07-25-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
If I remember correctly I spent about $800 for the entire job including diagnosis, parts, and labor. I wanted to source my own compressor, hand it to them, and save about $200 but they would not allow this. I have since found a local shop that will allow me to source my own parts, so if another compressor fails I'll go there....

You can source compressors via Google using your car's year, make, and model along with the word "compressor". Be aware that just because the website info says it will fit your specific car, it may not. Research and verify before completing any purchase. Your greater challenge will be finding an A/C shop that will allow you to supply your own parts. Check with the independent A/C shops in your area as a first step. You'll need a proper diagnosis of what is actually wrong before you start looking for parts. Lots of places offer free or minimal-cost A/C system checks this time of year. Call around and ask. Just be sure you've selected a reputable shop because there's no margin for error when it comes to A/C service....
Thanks a lot Jon89....I did some calling around to get quotes to put on a compressor and that is what everybody asked me..."are you sure that's the problem"...as much as I didnt want to pay for a diagnostic I think it might be the best...