Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C compressor and clutch assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 01stype30
The A/C was on when the the whistling started. btw: no longer whilstling now sounds like metal rubing (probably bearing; the clutch hub and drive pulley look pretty bad: The drive pull bearing feels ruff) The black goo is not from the belt the belt is fine (goo most likely coil insulation). Picture of goo coming tonight getting ready for work right now. Shouls have pulley and coil off tonight.
That sounds more and more to me like a coil failing and or the bearing on the clutch's shaft failing. How long was this whistling sound going on before the failure?

You know what you COULD do. Keep the new compressor on the shelf for a rainy day, and replace just the coil / clutch portion for now.

(Thus saving the expense and complication of dealing with purging the system of refigerant)

It'll be double the labor if the compressor is bad, BUT you need to watch it like a hawk, you dont want the old compressor taking out the new bearing.

(I'm assuming you ordered a complete assembly - compressor with coil and clutch installed arlready here).

Take care,

George

Old 01-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Confirmed black goo is from the coil insulation. Removed pulley and coil today. The insulation of the coil on the pulley side was gone; The coil windings were exposed.

Yes, I ordered the compressor and clutch assembly, I had thoughts of putting the new clutch coil and pulley on the old compressor; so I wouldn't have to break the A/C lines. I started turning the shaft on the compressor again and I felt some rough spots when I was turning it. So I'm going to bite the bullet and use the refurbished compressor which means I'l have to get the A/C system evacuated, flushed, vacuumed, and charged.

Already talked to a local garage that I deal and they are going to do it.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:07 PM

Also, Pictures coming tonight.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Confirmed black goo is from the coil insulation. Removed pulley and coil today. The insulation of the coil on the pulley side was gone; The coil windings were exposed.

Yes, I ordered the compressor and clutch assembly, I had thoughts of putting the new clutch coil and pulley on the old compressor; so I wouldn't have to break the A/C lines. I started turning the shaft on the compressor again and I felt some rough spots when I was turning it. So I'm going to bite the bullet and use the refurbished compressor which means I'l have to get the A/C system evacuated, flushed, vacuumed, and charged.

Already talked to a local garage that I deal and they are going to do it.
FYI. If the coil winding were exposed. That A/C compressor is done...

Good call. You gonna swap the compressor or let them do it?

Take care,

George

Old 01-19-2011, 04:22 PM

I'm going to put the old compressor and pulley back together drive it to the garage and let them install the new assembly, so they can evacuate the system. I don't have the tools to do the job correctly. I would like to do it myself just cant.

Lesson learned
With all the talk about the DCCV on this forum I assumed it was the DCCV because of the heat issue. I replaced the DCCV first (now I have a spare DCCV) I should have checked the fuse first and I would have saved time and money.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

I'm going to put the old compressor and pulley back together drive it to the garage and let them install the new assembly, so they can evacuate the system. I don't have the tools to do the job correctly. I would like to do it myself just cant.

Lesson learned
With all the talk about the DCCV on this forum I assumed it was the DCCV because of the heat issue. I replaced the DCCV first (now I have a spare DCCV) I should have checked the fuse first and I would have saved time and money.
Hey, it happens. No worries, at least you got everything figured out.

Consider the DCCV preventative maintenance on a car of your age...

Take care,

George

Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 PM

Pictures as promised and final analysis

CoilA/C compressor and clutch assembly-100_8705.jpg

PulleyA/C compressor and clutch assembly-100_8707.jpg

Clutch hubA/C compressor and clutch assembly-100_8708.jpg

CompressorA/C compressor and clutch assembly-100_8709.jpg

Black goo found above compressor pulleyA/C compressor and clutch assembly-100_8711.jpg

Right or wrong this is my analysis. It looks like the bearing on the pulley drive locked up causing a lot of friction/heat which caused the coil insulation to melt which led to the coil to fail and possibly leading to compressor bearing failure.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

Before figuring out that our compressor was failing last May, I also initially assumed that my problem was the DCCV since it appears to be by far the weakest link in all of our S-Type HVAC systems. My $18 Pep Boys mechanic's stethoscope saved my wallet on this one. Without it, I never would have heard the failing bearings in the compressor. A couple of years ago, that same stethoscope enabled me to figure out that the water pump in my 1999 Dodge Ram was in the process of dying. You don't use a stethoscope very often, but when you do have a situation where you need to figure out what component is in the process of failing, it really saves you time and money....