S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Issue- Right center Vent blows hot...sometimess

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 09:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A/C Issue- Right center Vent blows hot...sometimess

As of late my right center vent blows hot, left vent is fine throughout my testing. A/C works fine until I stop the car in park with it running for a little bit then drive off. The right blows hot and never goes back to cool UNLESS, I turn the car off for several minutes then start it back up and go. I notice this more with sub 80degree outside temp. I went into a store and it was about 78degrees and it was blowing hot, then when I came out it was pushing 90degrees and the A/C ran like a champ nice and cold the rest of the way home, about 10minute trip. It was 75degrees this morning cloudy with right rain and I had to get a pre-op covid test at the hospital which they conduct outside under a canopy. I had to stay in the car and move up until my turn and the right vent went hot after about five minutes and never went back to cool until I shut it off to fill up for gas. I then left and it was nice and cold for about 1o minutes then went hot again....sigh. This issue makes no difference if on manual or Auto low speeds or highway. My set temp and outside temp are always at least 9degrees apart. Now, I've had a little nagging issue where my center climate control display wierds out and flashes erratically but will straighten out eventually if I just tap the screen or just leave it alone, and this happened several weeks ago and may not weird out for a whole year, I just never know. I'm thinking some sensor for the left vent or a sticking vent, or maybe that climate control display. So there it is, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as always. Thanks in advance

Old 06-22-2021, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Are you aware of the DCCV? It will fail and if it has not been replaced start with that.
Can you DIY the repair?

Old 06-22-2021, 01:17 PM

clubairth1- That was replaced two years ago. At that time it blew hot air out of both sides. I get cooling out of the right side most of the time so I don't feel it's the DCCV, unless it can fail some of the time.

Last edited by Cobbler; 06-22-2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobbler
That was replaced two years ago. At that time it blew hot air out of both sides. I get cooling out of the right side most of the time so I don't feel it's the DCCV, unless it can fail some of the time.
The DCCV has a very high failure rate and would be the prime suspect here, even though it's fairly new.

One quick thought, based on how you mentioned the problem is more prevalent after stopping. Get a little voltmeter doohickey (sorry for the technical lingo) that plugs into the cigarette lighter. One possibility is your charging system is marginal, but not bad enough you'd notice starting problems. When you idle the engine, the alternator RPM drops and so does the output. Combine that with high electrical load (HVAC fan blasting away, for example), and the overall system voltage drops. You'd still have a marginal DCCV, too, but this low voltage aggravates its behavior. The one side has a weak solenoid and it spring-loads open when voltage drops. Rev up the engine, voltage increases, and the solenoid closes properly. Just a hunch, but quick to rule out with a voltmeter.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,061 Likes on 852 Posts

DCCV or climate module

Old 06-23-2021, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

If you still want to troubleshoot further?
Clamp all 3 heater hoses shut with pliers or clamps. These run side by side along the passenger side of the engine compartment. Mostly hard tubing but with rubber sections you can squeeze shut.This will prevent any hot water from entering the DCCV. If you have working AC from all vents now then change your DCCV again.

As others have said above it's not unusual to have it fail again after several years. Which is right where your sitting now!
But that really is a better failure than your AC so hopefully not real expensive or difficult to fix.

Old 06-26-2021, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by kr98664
The DCCV has a very high failure rate and would be the prime suspect here, even though it's fairly new.

One quick thought, based on how you mentioned the problem is more prevalent after stopping. Get a little voltmeter doohickey (sorry for the technical lingo) that plugs into the cigarette lighter. One possibility is your charging system is marginal, but not bad enough you'd notice starting problems. When you idle the engine, the alternator RPM drops and so does the output. Combine that with high electrical load (HVAC fan blasting away, for example), and the overall system voltage drops. You'd still have a marginal DCCV, too, but this low voltage aggravates its behavior. The one side has a weak solenoid and it spring-loads open when voltage drops. Rev up the engine, voltage increases, and the solenoid closes properly. Just a hunch, but quick to rule out with a voltmeter.
I have one already. I checked it yesterday at idle after a few minutes and it averages 13.75V. It was 85 outside temp so the A/C was working fine. This is a very good point though and I'll keep an eye on voltage. I'm almost retired now so I don't drive much so I think I'll start using my battery tender on it to keep the charge up. I can go up to 5 days without driving it, it stay under my permanent carport out of the sun but it's still outside. On the highway the charging system reads about 14.10v Thanks for the heads up BTW- so far the A/C has been problem free, but it has been over 80 degrees and like I mentioned in my OP is seems to have issues under 80 outside temp. Thanks again

Old 07-01-2021, 08:24 AM

Since I don't drive the car a lot I decided to hook up my battery charger/maintainer the other day. It's a nice Schumacher charger and when connected, it read the battery was only holding a 25% charge. I let it charge till the following day until it read 100% I took it for a short ride and let it idle in a parking spot it was reading an average of 14.20v, up from the other day when it was only 13.70v. Now I'll have to wait until the temp drops to under 80 degrees, since that's where it seems to have issues and see what happens. Keep you posted.I know I'm taking my time about this issue, please be patient.

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (07-01-2021)