S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C1165 (RH Rear Speed Sensor failure) Fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts
Default C1165 (RH Rear Speed Sensor failure) Fixed!

Last week my '03 S-Type 3.0L threw a C1165 code, along with ABS fault light and DSC disabled light. Other things I noted were Cruise Control was also disabled and the digital speedometer on my scan tool could not display my speed, even though the car's speedometer was working fine.

First thing I did was read the code, then cleared it. I charged the battery overnight to ensure it was not a false positive triggered by a weak battery. Next day I drove the car only a few miles and the C1165 code returned, along with the same issues as before.

The next day I had the car in the shop for a thorough inspection of the RH Rear ABS Sensor. My mechanic uses this forum as a resource, and he and I both agreed that most speed sensor issues reported on the forum were actually due to reluctor ring failures, not sensor failures. But here's what he actually found...

The reluctor ring was intact and appeared to be working fine. The speed sensor was also intact and clean. However, it had developed some corrosion on its plug terminals, and there was corrosion on the wiring pigtail that connects to it. Evidently, water got into the connector and caused corrosion, which then caused an intermittent break in the communication link between the speed sensor and the ABS system, thus triggering the failure code. He recommended that I replace the wiring pigtail as well as the sensor itself, as they both were moderately corroded. But no local parts supplier, including the local Jaguar dealer, had a speed sensor in stock. In the meantime, he cleaned the corrosion off both pieces as best he could, put some dielectric grease in the connector, and reconnected the sensor to the pigtail.

That was a week ago. Since then, C1165 code has cleared and the ABS, Traction Control and Cruise Control systems are all fully functional again. And my scan tool now reads my speed correctly again too.

Sometimes the simple fixes are all that are required to get things working correctly. The lesson of my story is that one should not assume that an item like a sensor needs replacing until he has thoroughly inspected the electrical connection to the sensor first. ABS sensors are not cheap - around $160 each - and my mechanic's methodical approach to diagnosing and repairing my ABS sensor problem saved me about $200 in parts and labor. Sooner or later I'll take his advice and replace the sensor and pigtail, but for now it seems there is no urgency to do this immediately.

Man, I love my mechanic.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Good job....

Us XK8 owners often get ABS/DSC errors on our cars caused by the wheel speed sensors getting clogged up with dirt and road grime. The well-known fix is to remove each sensor (one 8mm bolt), unplug the harness, hold your thumb over the electrical connector part of the sensor, and scrub the rest of the sensor with an old toothbrush using a mixture of water and Dawn dishwashing detergent. Allow the sensor to air-dry for 15 minutes or so, then re-install it....

My wife's XK8 began displaying random ABS/DSC errors in the fall of 2012. I discovered this sensor scrubbing procedure here on the forum (thanks to "Reverend Sam" and his many XK8 repair videos), performed it, and as in your case, it fixed the issue immediately. Ever since then, I have added this sensor scrubbing task to my oil & filter change / tire rotation schedule every 6,000 miles. My wife has not reported an ABS/DSC error since....

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-14-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Default Great tip!

Great tip. Thanks, Jon89! May I suggest that you work some dielectric grease into those connectors (but avoid getting it on the metal terminals, as it is an insulator) before reassembling them. Iit's both water repellant and lubricant, and tolerant of very high temps. Thus, it should reduce the liklihood of corrosion reoccurring there.
Steve.

Last edited by Jumpin' Jag Flash; 10-14-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Added info
Jon89 (10-14-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 12:13 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent!

Instead of replacing the sensor and wiring you could just eliminate the plug and connect the wires directly, and I suggest you not blow it off. Corrosion at the terminals will slowly make it's way through the wires destroying them. When you strip the wiring for the repair ensure that the wires are clean and bright, if they look at all corroded or dark keep cutting 'till you reach clean wire, even if it means splicing in an extra section of wire to make up the length. While you're at it, check the rest of the sensor connectors, maybe this one was just crappy or compromised somehow, or the car was exposed to conditions that weren't normal.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-16-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by '05 STR
Excellent!

Instead of replacing the sensor and wiring you could just eliminate the plug and connect the wires directly, and I suggest you not blow it off. Corrosion at the terminals will slowly make it's way through the wires destroying them. When you strip the wiring for the repair ensure that the wires are clean and bright, if they look at all corroded or dark keep cutting 'till you reach clean wire, even if it means splicing in an extra section of wire to make up the length. While you're at it, check the rest of the sensor connectors, maybe this one was just crappy or compromised somehow, or the car was exposed to conditions that weren't normal.
Thanks for the tip!