Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020 | 12:24 AM
jya
|
Default Cam Cover

Usual oil leaks from both cam covers. Not such an easy job, especially on a RHD vehicle; on the LHS bank I have had to remove the air filter box, loosen and move away the power steering pump and still going to get to the bolts and studs...
Unless I'm wrong, surprise, surprise there doesn't appear to be a complete kit to buy to include all the stud/bolt rubber grommets, both rubber com cover gaskets and spark plug seals. I am unaware at this stage whether the bolt/stud rubber grommets are available as a separate item, looks like you have to buy new bolts and studs that come with the grommets? Again unless I'm wrong no surprise..
The cover being plastic as well has its own issues with possible cracks from over tightening and from heat over time but fortunately I have had the vehicle since near birth.
Changed the RHS gasket easily enough but it's started weeping minute amounts of oil from around the bolts and studs; looks like through the rubber grommets. I thought I could get away without changing these grommets but maybe not so by the looks of things. However I did not use a torque wrench to get to the 12 Nm and only lightly tightened them in fear of cracking that stupid plastic cover. I will go back and re-tighten this time with the TR. All the rubber grommets looked to be in excellent condition.
The dipstick as well will not easily budge over one of the studs it is mounted on but I believe I just need to wedge it off its stud - somehow!
The workshop manual is incredibly vague on comprehensive instructions (for reference page is 983). Scant detail on what really needs to be dislodged to get to the bolts and studs.
On the RH bank there are 3 studs and 11 bolts. On the LH bank there are 5 studs and 9 bolts.
Also unsure why on the top corner of each plastic cam cover there is one odd bolt to the rest; top right hand bolt on the LH bank and top left hand bolt on the RH bank. The rubber grommet and metal shuttle on these bolts slides freely off the bolt as compared to all the other bolts/studs.
Nice to have a good supply of these grommets if anyone knows where they are obtainable.

Spark plug seal. Eight required.

Bolts with fixed shuttle. Eighteen in total.

Studs with fixed shuttle. Eight in total.

Shuttle that slides off two of the bolts. Two in total.

Old 06-29-2020 | 12:29 PM
SRT

Originally Posted by jya
Usual oil leaks from both cam covers. Not such an easy job, especially on a RHD vehicle; on the LHS bank I have had to remove the air filter box, loosen and move away the power steering pump and still going to get to the bolts and studs...
Unless I'm wrong, surprise, surprise there doesn't appear to be a complete kit to buy to include all the stud/bolt rubber grommets, both rubber com cover gaskets and spark plug seals. I am unaware at this stage whether the bolt/stud rubber grommets are available as a separate item, looks like you have to buy new bolts and studs that come with the grommets? Again unless I'm wrong no surprise..
The cover being plastic as well has its own issues with possible cracks from over tightening and from heat over time but fortunately I have had the vehicle since near birth.
Changed the RHS gasket easily enough but it's started weeping minute amounts of oil from around the bolts and studs; looks like through the rubber grommets. I thought I could get away without changing these grommets but maybe not so by the looks of things. However I did not use a torque wrench to get to the 12 Nm and only lightly tightened them in fear of cracking that stupid plastic cover. I will go back and re-tighten this time with the TR. All the rubber grommets looked to be in excellent condition.
The dipstick as well will not easily budge over one of the studs it is mounted on but I believe I just need to wedge it off its stud - somehow!
The workshop manual is incredibly vague on comprehensive instructions (for reference page is 983). Scant detail on what really needs to be dislodged to get to the bolts and studs.
On the RH bank there are 3 studs and 11 bolts. On the LH bank there are 5 studs and 9 bolts.
Also unsure why on the top corner of each plastic cam cover there is one odd bolt to the rest; top right hand bolt on the LH bank and top left hand bolt on the RH bank. The rubber grommet and metal shuttle on these bolts slides freely off the bolt as compared to all the other bolts/studs.
Nice to have a good supply of these grommets if anyone knows where they are obtainable.

Spark plug seal. Eight required.

Bolts with fixed shuttle. Eighteen in total.

Studs with fixed shuttle. Eight in total.

Shuttle that slides off two of the bolts. Two in total.
I pride myself at keeping my Jaguar in first class shape, but at the lowest possible cost. That does not mean I will cut corners on safety, but it means I will try and make a plan without having to go and buy Jaguar parts at high cost at the dealer.
I also had my cam covers off, but unlike you, Mine are back on, and they leak no oil.
I also had a good look at these special bolts, and I came to the conclusion that most of them would seal ineffectively, because the rubber grommets had flattened to a certain extent.
I therefore added a small O-ring to each seal, to give them a bit of extra pressure when tightened. I even did that with the screws holding the compressor parts together, and mine is/are still bone dry!
Where I need to seal, i use sealant compound. I also re-used my front timing cover seal, filing a thin layer of silicone sealant into the grove in the cover, and fitted the rubber seal into place, and left it on a glass plate, seal down, to let it sit and seal on the thin coating under the rubber. Does not leak a drop. The sealing compound I have found works wonders is Victor Reinz Rinzosil. I think it is better than any other product I have ever used, including LocTite, in this particular application. It is tough, oil, petrol and water resistant and it settles nice and firmly without ever getting hard.
Just a couple of ideas you can use if it suits you!

Old 06-29-2020 | 12:51 PM

The FEL-PRO VS50724R kit comes with the bolt isolators.

VICTOR REINZ 151071101 also comes with the isolators as part of the kit.

Old 06-29-2020 | 07:24 PM
jya
|

Thanks SRT and motorcarman. Some great advise there.
I had little idea where to source these kits. I have ordered the Fel-Pro kit. See how I go with that.
Sometimes it's just a ridiculous cost buying genuine parts, the key is knowing who made the genuine part in the first place and sourcing it from there.
I did have a set of genuine Jaguar cam gaskets only sitting around. They have 'made in the USA' on the packaging...