Sponsored by:

Camshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 07:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camshaft position sensor

Hi all just purchased s type r diesel
And have restricted performance.
Would like to check camshaft position sensor but have no idea where it's located,
Idiot proof instructions would be appreciated thanks in advance phildog.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts

Phildog,

Its on page 1160 of the S type workshop manual.

I suggest you download it, Gus has a downloadable copy from his website.
see jagrepair.com

If not it is only going to lead to more questions, and the manual provides lots of answers.

Good luck

I assume the S type R diesel, R being for restricted.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

S type R diesel ???? Wow. never knew they made them. Please post some photos.

Thanks

Old 02-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Default My mistake

Originally Posted by phildog
Hi all just purchased s type r diesel
And have restricted performance.
Would like to check camshaft position sensor but have no idea where it's located,
Idiot proof instructions would be appreciated thanks in advance phildog.
i believe it's a 2.7 diesel s but I could be wrong anyway it's a lovely car but drives like a pig all for a 10 min job and a 15 pound sensor would you mind telling me how I can get in touch with gus so I can arrange to ask him if he would make workshop manual available to me. Have seen in other threads that there is a how to on this, how do I access the how to section have tried to search but unsuccessful. Thank you.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:39 AM
Received 6,351 Likes on 5,530 Posts

Welcome to the forum phildog, "the how to" section is at the top of the page https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-guides-41364/ you can also download JTIS from here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...archive-66031/ you will find Gus's site here JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
The new members section is here New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum we always like to see an intro from new members.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:05 PM

Ok have looked on the gus website can't find find work shop manual or any thing that would point me in the right direction. Thanks to anyone who tried to help I'm obviously to stupid to navigate round this site, I shall look elsewhere if anyone knows where the camshaft position sensor is located I would be grateful if you would tell me will check tomorrow for any ans to this then log out and give up thanks for trying. Cheers.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by phildog
Ok have looked on the gus website can't find find work shop manual or any thing that would point me in the right direction. Thanks to anyone who tried to help I'm obviously to stupid to navigate round this site, I shall look elsewhere if anyone knows where the camshaft position sensor is located I would be grateful if you would tell me will check tomorrow for any ans to this then log out and give up thanks for trying. Cheers.
phildog. not trying to send you away but maybe try the UK jag forum

This forum has very few members who own diesel Jags. most of the members are from countries that never sold diesel S types.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-12-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:49 PM

Will try there thank-you

Old 02-11-2017, 01:34 PM
Received 13,379 Likes on 6,595 Posts

Hi phildog,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums.

Out of curiosity, what has prompted you to want to check the camshaft position sensor (CMP)? Did you have the car scanned for stored diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) that pointed you to the CMP?

Other than determining whether the CMP has somehow become disconnected, there is little you could determine by a visual inspection. By the way, if the cylinders in your engine are oriented in a V formation, your engine may have two CMPs.

I would recommend that you have the DTCs scanned by a shop with the equipment necessary to read the proprietary Jaguar fault codes and not only the generic OBDII codes. Carefully write down all the codes, including their initial letter (P, B, C or U) and post them here and at the U.K. forum as MyBlackCat recommended. We'll try to help, and I'm sure some of the U.K. members will do likewise.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 02-12-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi phildog,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums.

Out of curiosity, what has prompted you to want to check the camshaft position sensor (CMP)? Did you have the car scanned for stored diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) that pointed you to the CMP?

Other than determining whether the CMP has somehow become disconnected, there is little you could determine by a visual inspection. By the way, if your the cylinders in your engine are oriented in a V formation, your engine may have two CMPs.

I would recommend that you have the DTCs scanned by a shop with the equipment necessary to read the proprietary Jaguar fault codes and not only the generic OBDII codes. Carefully write down all the codes, including their initial letter (P, B, C or U) and post them here and at the U.K. forum as MyBlackCat recommended. We'll try to help, and I'm sure some of the U.K. members will do likewise.

Cheers,

Don
car was scanned in garage and it was Crankshaft not camshaft low signal and EGR insufficient flow going to take off EGRs and clean make sure electrical contacts are clean if so replace.. Have had lots of help from UK site asked same question on there as here got ans diagrams and advice straight away just waiting for a break in the weather and will get it sorted. Also have dpf full on screen so will take this off and have a look as it's only 6 months old will check sensor first see if it's operational. Thanks for your reply.
Cheers Phil.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:59 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

If you are getting dpf full check your oil level as you may have diesel in it and if you drive the car you will seize the engine. If you are not sure change the oil.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-12-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 03:52 AM
Default Dpf full

Oil has just been changed and level seems constant and there is no brown gunk around filler cap, dpf is only 6 months old so will take off and have a look it may just be sensor, there is a company close to me that will clean with high pressure water am considering this as it's cheaper than a new one. Thanks for your response. And advice.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:21 AM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

No problem I just thought that you may not know about this problem.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:08 AM

Thank you anyway would much rather get told something I already know than someone not tell me and I blow my engine up :-D