S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camshaft seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default camshaft seal leak

I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 S type 3.0 for about three thousand Canadian. It has 180 000 on the clock.

I am told it has a camshaft seal leak somewhere in the middle of the camshaft [if that makes any sense]. I was looking at one of the forum threads and there seems to be some green seals that will stop an IMF leak [sorry, don't know what IMF means] and that will resolve most of these leaks [Brutal was the advisor].

I am moderately handy with a wrench and see that these cars retail for about four to five thousand. I would like to own and drive it for about a year or so. It is an investment but it is also for the pleasure of driving a Jag.

I know it is a chance but my three thou is only making about one per cent in the bank anyways. Should I jump?

Bob

Old 02-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Welcome to the forum musk.

I would like to direct you to the new member section per forum protocol and introduce yourself: New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

My personal opinion is that a preface MY with 180k on the clock is going to be more than just replacing the IMT O-rings. The thought of getting $4~5 gees down the road, well to be blunt ain't going to happen.

Good luck with your decision though.

Last edited by joycesjag; 02-03-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Ditto to Rick...Bob, if you must, fix her and love her. 3 g's isn't too bad.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Default current value of a 2001 S type?

Rick,

I wasn't planning to make a fortune when it came time to sell the car. Just to get my money back and make a little on the side, say about four per cent. My main return would be the pleasure of driving the Jaguar for a year or so. I take it from your reply that three thousand is not an extraordinarily low price for such a car. What is a more realistic expectation of sale price?

I view the "investment" as similar to a penny stock I might add. I could lose all of my money [which I could also have blown on a trip to Mexico this year] or I could make a little and enjoy the company of a fine car for a year or so. I would view that as a return on my money as well. If the transmission blows I lose everything. If not I could recoup my investment.

Bob.
Originally Posted by joycesjag
Welcome to the forum musk.

I would like to direct you to the new member section per forum protocol and introduce yourself: New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

My personal opinion is that a preface MY with 180k on the clock is going to be more than just replacing the IMT O-rings. The thought of getting $4~5 gees down the road, well to be blunt ain't going to happen.

Good luck with your decision though.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I would negotiate that price down to the lower $2K range and this is ONLY if the interior is in great shape - also, be sure to road test the transmission as well and hook up an OBDII reader to scan for any "stored" codes and go from there.

Additionally, have the suspension checked out - front & rear.

If you find any issues with the points above - use them to get the price lowered.

Good Luck

Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Default I think I will opt out

Thanks abonano,

This car is being sold at an auction and I know from the auctioneer that the seller wants three thousand.

So I can't take it out to get the OBDII reader put on it. Nor can I seriously check out the transmission. The auction owner is declaring the camshaft seal leak and he does seem to be an upright guy so I would accept his word that the only obvious thing wrong with it that he knows about is this leak from the camshaft.

Interesting that you mention the upholstery. There is a hole in the left side of the white leather seat back and I had plans to deal with that. The rest of the upholstery is okay but not pristine. It is twelve years old so I wouldn't expect it to be like new.

I think I will take your advice and not go for the deal. I will just have to settle for my Volvo and my Citroen to get me through the summer.

Thanks to everybody on this list for their advice.

Bob Pellow
Parksville, Canada

Originally Posted by abonano
I would negotiate that price down to the lower $2K range and this is ONLY if the interior is in great shape - also, be sure to road test the transmission as well and hook up an OBDII reader to scan for any "stored" codes and go from there.

Additionally, have the suspension checked out - front & rear.

If you find any issues with the points above - use them to get the price lowered.

Good Luck

Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Bob, whilst it's natural to understand the owner wants $3k for the car...he'll take $2500, cause that's all it's worth.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:33 AM

Thanks bsf

Even if I were able to get the price down to $2500, taxes and buyer's fees would bring it home at $3000 and from what I am reading on this thread that is not a particularly good price. I have found some S types for sale at dealerships on line for $3000 so I now think the price is not particularly low. To buy an auction car I want the price to be significantly lower than what can be bought at a dealer so that I can pay for whatever is not revealed by simple startups and short movements and general observaton.

It is a very pretty car and it looks like it would be a hoot to drive but I think I should shy away.

Your observations helped me to make the decision and for that I thank you.

Bob Pellow
Parksville
Originally Posted by bfsgross
Bob, whilst it's natural to understand the owner wants $3k for the car...he'll take $2500, cause that's all it's worth.