S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a 4.0 really make STR owners cry?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can a 4.0 really make STR owners cry?

Clicky linky and think of the possiblities! [sm=crossbonesgif.gif]http://www.ststurbo.com/

Old 09-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Can a 4.0 really make STR owners cry?

Interesting site. I know there are superchargers then there are turbo kits. I truly dont know the difference. There must be a reason why Ford used superchargers vs. turbo in the Jags. It is a tradition Iguess. A turbo Jag sounds funny as would a turbo'd Mustang. This kit for a4.0 Jagmightbe great and asyou say a STR nightmare. BUTwhynot buy a STR to begin with then soupit up. A modified STR seems to be better then a 4.0 modified. Maybe its me.An M3 all hooked under the hood would be sicker then a 325ci hooked up.Plus STR come with big brakes to deal with the speed. Amonstrous 4.0 Jag such asmine would still need a nice set of brakes.Just my 0.02 cents

Old 09-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: harounq21

Interesting site. I know there are superchargers then there are turbo kits. I truly dont know the difference. There must be a reason why Ford used superchargers vs. turbo in the Jags. It is a tradition Iguess. A turbo Jag sounds funny as would a turbo'd Mustang. This kit for a4.0 Jagmightbe great and asyou say a STR nightmare. BUTwhynot buy a STR to begin with then soupit up. A modified STR seems to be better then a 4.0 modified. Maybe its me.An M3 all hooked under the hood would be sicker then a 325ci hooked up.Plus STR come with big brakes to deal with the speed. Amonstrous 4.0 Jag such asmine would still need a nice set of brakes.Just my 0.02 cents

+1

Old 09-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

My duster has a rear mount T76, and it makes over 700 at the wheels.. If the supercharger ever takes a **** on the jag, you guys will certainly see the first STR with a rear mount turbo.. I figure around 18lbs of boost with a GT30, GT35 or a T70 would make far more power than the ZF tranny could handle..

Old 09-22-2008, 01:34 PM

Having one car that is turbo'd and one car that is supercharged I can go ahead and tell ya. If someone creates a turbo manifold, I'd go remote mount twins on the back...

Reasons:
1. Using a twin scroll or ball bearing turbo you can eliminate turbo lag. (mainly lag is the byproduct of putting a large turbo on a small *cough* honda *cough* motor...) A 4.2 could turn a .60-.80 trim like its nothing...

2. You make more power and its easier to tune...

3. You'd have better gas mileage because turbo's use waste (exhaust) gas as opposed to using engine hp to turn a supercharger pulley.

4. Blow off Valves (BOV's) sound awesome...

5. A quality turbo would greatly outlast a supercharger.. My 86' turbo was fine, no shaft play or anything. I just went bigger...

6. There more efficient.. Turbos run around 80 - 9x percent efficient. The most efficient eaton (3 rotor design) is 75% efficient.

7. Have you ever seen a TT Cobra??? There bad. My friends made 954hp on race gas... 8xx on the pump. No nitrous...

Old 09-22-2008, 01:41 PM

I dont know about pre 2003 SType. the 4.0 is a pretty fragile motor
I own one and me thinks there would be just to much to modify internally to add Turbocharging to the car to make it reliable. You can make anything go faster but will it last.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: KAZSAM

I dont know about pre 2003 SType. the 4.0 is a pretty fragile motor
I own one and me thinks there would be just to much to modify internally to add Turbocharging to the car to make it reliable. You can make anything go faster but will it last.
Good point.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 PM

I agree... The 4.2's were built for supercharging, therefore they have built internals to handle the heat...

Perhaps a 4.0 with built internals.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:04 PM

Good feedback folks!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Whats your cuda running in the 1/4 marcus?? I am dying to build a 70 pro street cuda, but I need to sell some stuff first..

Old 09-24-2008, 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Marcus

The best solution is displacement. My Cuda has a 528 Hemi in it which, after work from Indy Heads, produces in excess of 750 or so HP. It will destroy anything 0-100.

Puhleeeze....apples to oranges! And are you suggesting a 4.0 / 4.2 can be stroked and bored enough to equal the output of a twin turbo setup??? Ain't gonna happen!

FWIW...Since we're comparing apples to oranges... I would destroy your 11 sec Mopar with my puny little 1199 cc, normally aspirated, 4 cylinder, 9.2 sec Kawasaki...on pump gas. Displacement is NOT the answer-all.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

Marcus i feel like our cars would make for an amazing race, mine weighs in at 2500lbs, ford 9" w/ 273 gears, 700hp, torque should be over 800 ft/lbs soon, no spray, 295 drag radials..

Old 09-24-2008, 03:21 PM

No, you would not. With street slicks I would be able to take you through the quarter mile easily. I stayed neck in neck with a V-Max through the 1/4 and I know I could take you if I hooked up.

A 4.0 or 4.2 could not beat a twin turbo setup, certainly outlast it though. What I mean is DISPLACEMENT. My 528can be built to put out1100HP without trying hard and live to tell the story.

A large engine not working hard will always outllast a smaller one being twisted to the limit.
Picking up 2 seconds simply by switching to street slicks..you're extremely optimistic my friend![sm=icon_rofl.gif]Besides.. I think you lost the point of my reply in the translation? Just as I'm struggling to understand the point of how a big block has anything to do with a Jag S Type??? Lastly..obviously I wasn't there to witness you hung in there with a V-Max..but I can tell this..stock V-Max's run 11's (high 10's w/ a pro rider) in the 1/4 mi. But I'm sure this V-Max was highly modified....correct? [sm=smiley29.gif]

Old 09-25-2008, 10:05 AM

The problem is hooking up. Having done this for a number of years (Vettes, Camaros, Chevelles and others) I know that a set of slicks in a partial or full tub set-up will remove up to two seconds on a 1/4 time. It isn't optimism, it's fact. Plus, please re-read my statements. Where do I mention STREET slicks? Before getting all worked up, be certain you know what you are talking about.

Venumb, I don't understand your statement. I run 11s now and ran neck and neck with a V-Max which, by your words, run 11s. What's there to be confused about?

First... Your post signature is spot on. I directly quoted YOU on the "street slicks"..go back and re-read your own writing before you put your other foot in your mouth.

I have NO confusion in regard to your 11 second car. You ran neck and neck with a slow *** 11 sec V-Max..big deal! I was running 11's w/ my 72 Dart and a scrawny little 340 but who cares? The confusion is yours.. and once again, I'll point out that the reason I brought up my 9.2 sec Ninja being able to smoke your big-block was simply to point out that you were comparing apples to oranges in regards to the topic of this thread. You claimed displacement was the way to go and then when I questioned you about it in regards to a 4.0 /4.2 you acted like you said nothing about displacement....Sheesh dude, man up to your own words would ya?

My only question was in regard to the logic behind your original reply..to which I've learned..there was none.

We can go back and forth all day about what additional mods you could do to make your Mopar quicker and how intelligent it is to have all that power and not being setup for it.. but it'll still have nothing to do w/ the topic at hand.

Understand now???

Quick Reply: Can a 4.0 really make STR owners cry?