S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can not apply parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Yes, Norri's prety sharp. Funny thing how an AMERICAN website is the best for BRITISH car problems!
Leedsman.
Of course I am a British import myself.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's automatic on the manual trans. also.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 03 S Type is pulling up this code also, stating that there is a park brake fault. I tried resetting the battery by pulling it, restarting and recalibrating the brakes by applying them a few times before I reapplied the parking brake. This allowed me to get the parking brake to reengage, however when I try to disengage it goes right back into the loop stating that the park brake is faulting. I know its not the motor because I could hear the brake disengage. The car doesn't go into limp mode or anything like that when I drive, however I'd like to remedy the solution so that I don't put myself at risk.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Your battery may be in the early stages of failure. Dying batteries often begin to cause random warnings in these cars....

Old 07-31-2010, 08:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any particular way for me to test the battery to see if this is the case? My battery is only a few years old (I think I got the car in 2007/8?) and changed the battery shortly after I received it. I do know I drained the battery the last time I waxed my car two weeks ago (my amp runs 500 RMS so it drains power rather quickly if I listen to the stereo while the car isn't cranked). But my assumption is that the battery shouldn't fail this fast would it? I'm sure some others on here should be able to chime in and add some info on how long I can expect the battery to last.

This fortunately is the second time I had an issue with the car, the first of which being a failed O2 sensor at 100K. I believe (crossing my fingers) that the car may be able to ride to the nearest auto store for a new battery if that be the case. I was able to make it home without any issues , I just didn't want to drive it again unless I absolutely needed to.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Maybe that's it. But I know the car parked will automatically set the parking brake when unattended.

I know about the manual disengagement (holding down while turning key off), and the ability to set it...
I was just stating this for the people who don't think they use their parking brake ever, cause they don't set it..

George
Wait, you can permanently turn that thing off?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you so much for posting the electronic parking brake re-calibration procedure!

You can clearly hear whether or not the motor is working and engaging the e-brake calipers upon shutting down the engine, especially with the window rolled down.

I think a big contributor to the premature EPD pad/rotor wear condition could be the e-brake caliper pad slides/pins and the flimsy spring clips. All of these components corrode rather easily. When combined with packed-in brake dust between either side left and right of each backing plate and the mini caliper, the pads hang up in the "park" position, albeit with less pressure, and continue to wear against the rotors. I belt sanded the edges of my new parking brake pads to remove excess paint, brushed a thin layer of black paint, allowed to dry, then applied anti-sieze compound before installing. The old ones were binding in the caliper.

Unfortunately the brake hardware is only available through the dealer. My last dealer (Jaguar of South Bay , the rip-off experts) priced an "EPB hardware kit" (4 pins/slides, 2 spring clips) at $100 just before they closed down for good.

By the way, the EPB pads are available at rock auto, although I bought mine directly through a friend at Centric. Shop around and you will find them.

Last edited by Classic_Engr; 10-15-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

FYI, you have to hold the parking brake switch in the center console down AND COMPLETELY REMOVE THE IGNITION KEY before releasing the switch to prevent the rear EPB (electronic parking brake) from engaging. If you only turn the ignition switch to KO (key off) position and release the parking brake switch, the EPB will engage upon pulling the key from the ignition.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

And I think the electronic parking brake pads wear out so fast is all dependent on how spirited your driving skill is. I read somewhere the DSC uses the epb for traction control.

Jag-techs please chime in. I think I read it in the JTIS but I'm not 100% sure

Old 10-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm confused I've done this process and my EPB is not calibrating or resetting itself. Is there something special that needs to be done on an R???

Old 10-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rather like the electronic "no-think" parking brake, one of my favorite features of this car. I could never get my wife to set the thing, and I could never remember to take it off, so with this car I don't worry about either! Then again, I've never had any problems with mine, and like to think most people haven't either.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jimehrke
I just got a 2007 S type and the next day the info center reads cannot apply parking brake. any ideals..Jim
Hi,
Mine did the same the other day and I carried out the recalibration procedure and all is now well.
Changed the rear brakes about a year ago now, and the electric hand brake worked okay. However it did start showing this warning now and again, but by switching the ignition off and on it cleared the fault and the brake worked okay. However it became more frequent, so carried out the calibration sequence and all is now working as it should.
So, if changing Rear Brake Pads and Discs (rotors), recalibrate the EHB as the last job when finishing up the repair.
Regards,
Inver.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:26 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

My parkbrake was jammed on before I bought it, and the salesman called the AA. They seemed to know all about it and fixed it in a trice. It has not gone wrong since.
Leedsman.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 PM

Hi everybody.Could you please help me figure it out what is wrong with my EPB???? I have a 2005 S type and the first time I got the error message "cannot apply parkbrake" I followed the procedure to calibrate the EPB (electronic park brake) by removing the battery and that worked. The second time the message showed up the car had been under heavy snow I do not know if the weather conditions had something to do with the electronics in this model, i reset the error following the same procedure. Today,by mistake I put the wrong key in the ignition ( I had another jag xj6) and I noticed the message "cannot apply parkbrake" showed up once more. I am thinking maybe putting the wrong key cause the car to lock the brakes, or might be the weather, or ?????

Old 05-04-2011, 04:33 AM
JDS

If the battery has run down, the car has been restarted and you now have the message displayed "cannot apply parking brake" accompanied by a continuous beeping from the instrument panel, the fix is very simple. Disconnect the battery ground for about 30 seconds; this will reboot the car's entire computer system. Restart the car. You will now have a message that says "apply foot brake and hand brake"; this will reset the electronic parking brake and you are good to go.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 5 sp. manual trans S-Type and the stupid park brake sets every time you turn off the car. My park brake will not release when below 48 degrees outside. I'm going to try this re-calibrate proceedure. I hope it fixes the problem. I know I replaced the rear brake pads a couple years ago and I didn't re-calibrate the park brake. Maybe this has been the cause of my problems with the park brake all this time?

Old 05-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmoo
If you have the message “can’t apply parking brake” then I wouldn’t think you will be able to re-calibrate the EPB because it will be rendered inoperable. I think this error message is also normally accompanied by an audible warning.

The fault finding procedure I would try is something like this:

1. Check the EPB fuse which is number F35 in the luggage compartment fuse box.
2. If that’s OK its worth checking the connectors to the EPB Module are seated correctly. The module is located behind the boot lining on the right hand side, just remove the connectors and re-insert again until they click in position.
3. If all this fails to clear the error and you feel brave you can check the motor function by removing connectors from the module and directly attaching wires from the battery to the two thickest wires in the left hand connector, reverse the connections to ensure the motor winds in both directions. If the motor does not actuate then the motor is dead, if the motor winds then it’s possibly the module.

Hope this makes sense.
Hi,
I have 2005 facelift S with a manual gearbox and had the message "Can't apply handbrake" about six months ago. Went through the re-calibration process (needed 3 times for it to work) and it has been fine ever since.
The manual version does not have the automatic handbrake release as found on the autobox unless specially ordered at time of build.
It took a bit of getting use to the EH when I first got the car, but soon settled with it.
Regards.
Inver.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Originally Posted by EZrider800
I have a 5 sp. manual trans S-Type and the stupid park brake sets every time you turn off the car. My park brake will not release when below 48 degrees outside. I'm going to try this re-calibrate proceedure. I hope it fixes the problem. I know I replaced the rear brake pads a couple years ago and I didn't re-calibrate the park brake. Maybe this has been the cause of my problems with the park brake all this time?
If you don't want it to set each time you could read this forum or the handbook for how to prevent it

Oh yeah, no-one reads the handbook........ and forum only sometimes........

Anyway, just press the paddle down as you turn engine off.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Jag V8. I have read this forum and have learned a lot. But I don't want to park my manual transmission car without the park brake on I would rather that it just worked properly!!!

I'm working 60-70 hours a week right now so I'll try all the recommendations when I get a day off. Hopefully I won't have to buy a new EPB motor.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
Worth a try?

Electronic Park Brake (EPB)
Re-Calibration Procedure
2003 MY-ON
S-TYPE
M44998-ON

Issue:
On some 2003 MY-on S-TYPE vehicles, a customer may report a concern of premature
parking brake pad wear or the brakes binding. This condition can result if the electronic
park brake (EPB) system is not re-calibrated after the removal of the rear brake callipers
to replace the brake pads.
Action:
Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the calibration
procedure detailed in this bulletin.
1. Reset the EB module:
a. Switch off the ignition.
b. Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds. For additional information, refer to STYPE
Workshop Manual Section 414-01.
c. Reconnect the battery.
2. Start the engine.
3. Firmly apply and release the foot brake five times.
4. Confirm that the message ˜NOT CALIBRATED" or ˜APPLY FOOT AND PARK
BRAKE" is displayed on the instrument cluster message centre. This indicates that
the parking brake is in calibration mode.
5. Lightly press the foot brake pedal.
6. Apply the parking brake by using the EB switch.
7. Release the parking brake.
8. Release the foot brake.
9. Confirm that the brake warning lamp is no longer illuminated on the instrument
pack and that the ˜NOT CALIBRATED" message is no longer displayed in the
message centre.
10. Apply and release the EPB five times to ensure no error is present.

Or maybe there is a fault with the actuator.

Hello everyone, been a while since I get on here and glad to be back (went on vacation and also some hospital time from a car accident) My "R" is ok BTW in case your wondering.

This tip was very helpful as it happened to me last week, easy steps and big time in savings, took me literally 10 min. (I think). Anyways hopefully ill be on here more often.

Quick Reply: can not apply parking brake