S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot apply parkbrake New weekly STR Proble

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cannot apply parkbrake New weekly STR Proble

New weekly problem with the 03 STR is cannot apply parkbrake accompanied by constant beeping! Tried the EPB reset, the message stays on but the idiotic beeping is gone. Why Jag made the automatic, unneccessary automatic electronic brake in the first place is crazy! I guess they had to give you something for the $65K when new.
Anyway from the forum it looks as though an old battery could be the culprit. The car has a jag battery, not sure if it's original since we bought the car used last August but it could be, now maybe 8 years old Wallmart has the Maxx H8 in stock for $95
The battery book says I should use the smaller H6 for a 03 V8 but I think the STR must have used the bigger battery, The battery in the 03 STR is at least 14 or 15 inches long, did the 03 use a smaller battery for the 4.2 and a bigger battery for the STR?
I've also heard mention of a recall for the brake module. Does anyone know if this is true?
The vehicle is a 2003 STR VinM53654
Any ideas about the problem, battery and recall are appreciated.
Thanks,
Cheers.
Bob

Last edited by Cadillac; 06-07-2011 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Vin edited for fraud concerns
Old 06-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

can you hear the motor at all? when you take the key out?? i had to replace mine due to a worn gear

Old 06-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

the part is about 260 shipped from nalley jaguar, and it can be changed by anyone with average skills. i can lay out the easiest way to change it for you, all you need is a jack and some stand and a few different wrenches and sockets. Should take no more than 1.5 hours to completely swap the unit out.

Also i got the Bosch battery from Pep Boys. I stay away from the wal mart batteries

Old 06-05-2011, 11:28 AM

I thought I could hear it motor once after the EPB reset but nothing after that the lights are still on but somehow the constant beep is off.
I think I'll throw $95 at a walmart MAXX H8 battery, how bad can they be, they are made by Johnson Controls in Wisconsin
If that does not work does anyone know if there was in fact a recall about this Parking Brake motor/controller?
Thanks,
Cheers.
Bob

Old 06-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Chances are it's the battery.

Recall R166 - make sure it's been done or does not apply (ask dealer)
ditto R167 (which also refers to R166)

They are safety-related recalls.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:08 AM

I hope it is the battery.
Just called my local dealer with the VIN.. the R166 recall was completed in June 2005
I do remember the parking brake making a more noticable sound when the key was removed for a while a few months ago. The wife has a 2004 S 4.2, the parking brake activation is almost silent. Why it was necessary for the extra calipers and even more stuff to go wrong on the STR I will never know.
STR owners...is it normal to hear the parking brake motor and activation everytime you remove the key?

Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

Yes if I let it apply. The risk of it not releasing means I usually don't let it.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Yes if I let it apply. The risk of it not releasing means I usually don't let it.
I didn't know there was option for the car not to apply the parking brake.
Whenever the key is removed...varrooump... brake is on.
If there is a way to bypass this "manditory safety feature" I would like to know it.
Thanks,
Cheers.
Bob

Old 06-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Aargh... (LOL) this needs to be a FAQ!!

On a LEVEL surface, shifter into P (or N but if N then CARE NEEDED!), hold paddle down, foot on brake, turn engine off, remove key, take foot off brake and release paddle. Car may roll a little if in P.

May roll a LOT and CRASH if in N

There are times when you don't need foot on brake but the above works.

---

You can apply it any time by just lifting the paddle.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:04 AM

Ah,
Hold panel down while turning off engine.
Thanks
Bob

Old 06-07-2011, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Hey, I edited your VIN just in case . It's wised to not reveal your VIN , still you can PM your VIN or e-mail when necessary
Thanks

Old 06-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Default Park brake Fault /ABS

I installed a brand new battery in the 03 STR and the Park brake Fault/ABS light is still ON... I can't hear the parking brake motor anymore.
I know the ABS does not work because I can lock up and smoke the tires if I jam on the brakes.
Is there a way to check the park brake motor?
Why would this problem cause the ABS fault?
Any help and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cheers.
Bob

Old 06-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

change the motor like i did. it is doing exactly the same as mine was. let me know if you need further help. it takes abut an hour to an hour and a half to swap them

Old 06-23-2011, 11:53 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by maxthrottle
I hope it is the battery.
STR owners...is it normal to hear the parking brake motor and activation everytime you remove the key?

It is on my 03 STR, I almost always ensure that it does not come on when I take the key out. My VIN is within 100 of yours.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:36 AM

Thanks for the response.
Phd12volt...I sure would appreciate your insight into how to change this out in only 1 1/2 hours.I took off the right rear wheel yesterday and I could almost see where the cable ended in a motor looking thingy halfway into the car above the axle. Looks like a real bear to get to.
After you replaced the PB motor the ABS started working too?
I wonder why one would have anything to do with the other? Perhaps the software disables the ABS since it believes the park brake to be on anyway?
So it's about $260 for a park brake motor?
Thanks,
Cheers.
Bob

Old 06-24-2011, 06:46 AM

Hey Jason;
I searched and found your write up and photos of the Parking Brake swap.
Did you motor stop making noise too or did it continue to make noise without pulling the cables?
So you have to unbolt and drop the rear pumpkin about 4 inches in order to fit the new motor? Maybe it would be best to drop the pumpkin first to make the motor easier to remove too.
Did you use a lift or raise the car on jack stands and then use the floor jack to raise and lower the pumpkin?
Did you do this yourself or get some help?
Just wondering if you needed a third hand.
Thanks,
Bob

Old 06-24-2011, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Be aware that you live in rust country and I would bet you have rusted cables. This can take out the park motor. Make sure your cables are free. The park brake also needs to be calibrated if anything is moved. This is in the JTIS. I have had good luck with cycling the PB on and off a couple of times.

Yes you should hear the PB motor. I can hear mine at idle with all the noise turned off. They are pretty simple to work on. Check your parking brake pads too. They are hard to find outside the dealer. I have a Beck Arnley part number of #0899001 about $78. Supposedly made by TRW. This was for my 2005 STR.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:21 AM

I can't hear the PB motor at all anymore.
About one month before this all happened, the PB Motor was much louder and a grinding noise, just before it just shut up with the Parking Brake Fault, ABS light and beeping! Somehow the beeping was shut off after I disconnected the battery for a while. If I play with the PB paddle then I get a new red brake light flashing on the dash but still no noise or actuation from the PB motor. Removing the battery cable for a while removes the Brake Light flash but the Parking Brake Fault and ABS light are still there. The brake E brake pads look good.
I may try just removing the green 30 amp fuse for the ebrake, could that possibly disable the entire mess?...probably not.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by maxthrottle
Hey Jason;
I searched and found your write up and photos of the Parking Brake swap.
Did you motor stop making noise too or did it continue to make noise without pulling the cables?
So you have to unbolt and drop the rear pumpkin about 4 inches in order to fit the new motor? Maybe it would be best to drop the pumpkin first to make the motor easier to remove too.
Did you use a lift or raise the car on jack stands and then use the floor jack to raise and lower the pumpkin?
Did you do this yourself or get some help?
Just wondering if you needed a third hand.
Thanks,
Bob
It was making noise and not pulling the cables. I unplugged it. You will still have the abs light on if you unplug it.

Just order a new motor (nalley had mine in stock) then remove both rear wheels. i put stands under the rear just high enough to get under there, take the 3 bolts out for the pumpkin, and i used a floor jack to drop it down, once it was dropped, it would be a piece of cake to swap everything in. if you want to do it yourself, let me know, i may just be over in that part of the state. You know a good road trip and a WAWA run would be fabulous right now............................................... .........

Old 06-24-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by phd12volt
It was making noise and not pulling the cables. I unplugged it. You will still have the abs light on if you unplug it.

Just order a new motor (nalley had mine in stock) then remove both rear wheels. i put stands under the rear just high enough to get under there, take the 3 bolts out for the pumpkin, and i used a floor jack to drop it down, once it was dropped, it would be a piece of cake to swap everything in. if you want to do it yourself, let me know, i may just be over in that part of the state. You know a good road trip and a WAWA run would be fabulous right now............................................... .........
I ordered the EPB motor from my local dealer and they should have it in on Tuesday. I hope to jack up the car and drop the pumpkin as per your helpful instructions and pictures this weekend and rip the old motor out.
WAWA does make a good hoagie.

Quick Reply: Cannot apply parkbrake New weekly STR Proble