S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't find VOICE MODULE plug/harness in trunk!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:50 PM
jya
Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Can't find VOICE MODULE plug/harness in trunk!

Found the Bluetooth harness and plugged up Bluetooth module, (see photo).

But there are 4 unknown other plugs that won't fit the VOICE module, (three grey and one green).

I would love to know what modules these spare plugs are for! (see photos)

Will I therefore need to purchase a harness/plug/loom to solve this problem?

Attached Thumbnails Can't find VOICE MODULE plug/harness in trunk!-phonemoduleafterplugsattached.jpg   Can't find VOICE MODULE plug/harness in trunk!-detailof3spareplugsinboot.jpg   Can't find VOICE MODULE plug/harness in trunk!-greenspareplugintrunk.jpg   Can't find VOICE MODULE plug/harness in trunk!-rearofvoicemodule.jpg   Can't find VOICE MODULE plug/harness in trunk!-smallbluetoothmoduleplug.jpg  

Old 11-25-2010, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Some ideas:

1. Check the connectors against the ones detailed in the Electrical Guide. The 2004 one not only has circuit diagrams but also, on the page before each diagram, related useful info (like connector colour, # pins). JTIS and also here http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co...ec%20Guide.pdf

2. wait a few days and if no-one's said what they are, PM WinterJag as he's been there, done that (some or all of it)

Old 11-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 3 spare plugs are for a Factory GPS / NAV unit (drive).
That green plug looks like a Premium Stereo CD changer plug.

EDIT: That green connector looks like a female receptacle, not a male plug.
What year S-Type is that?

Last edited by DittoGlen; 11-28-2010 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Being more specific
The following users liked this post:
uropnm6 (05-22-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 07:31 AM
jya

Sorry to take so long to reply DittoGlen, I was OS at the time and am only now revisiting where I left off.

The car is a 2002 pre production STR with sat/nav (and 6-CD stacker) so the grey plugs cannot be for that.

I have found the phone/bluetooth loom with plugs (one plug under arm rest and one in trunk)and plugged the bluetooth modules in directly as well as the overhead mic, although the system is not working.............. I will have to go to the dealer for that one.

I do want to buy a factory amp as well to plug in but am unsure which will fit.
And as jagv8 told me I suppose I should have just continued this thread on for that instead of start another for the amp question.
Please forgive me fellas as this is my first forum experience.

Cheers.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,342 Likes on 1,843 Posts

Tough to tell but if this is in the console do you have the ACM installed for the Ipod and USB?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

The Electrical Guide (in JTIS and http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co...trical_Guides/ ) states the wire colours and number of pins in each connector so you could figure out what they are from there.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:47 AM
jya

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Tough to tell but if this is in the console do you have the ACM installed for the Ipod and USB?
Yes I did retro install the ACM on my own and that works fine, but I am not sure what you are referring to clubairth1; these plugs are in the trunk and they do not fit the Voice module I bought when I was last in the USA. And as I have never seen the amp am not sure if they are for that or anything else.

I will however study the electrical guide that jagv8 has graciously put me on to.

Thank you very much for that jagv8.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Well, I'm here! Okay, yes I have done all this (fitted voice and bluetooth and nav and acm) so I can shed some light on this for you! First, the phone module looks like its hooked up fine, as does the BTUM. If it isn't working, make sure you have the correct PSE phone module. I forget the part number off the top of my head but if you could post what yours is I could tell you if it is right or not. If everything is still working on the D2B network, even though the phone isn't, then at least you know that all the modules are good and that you didn't mess something up installing it (been there, done that!). As for the extra connectors, the ones in the second picture (two grey ones almost the same size) are for premium sound. They plud into the back of the amp if you've got it. As for the green one, you've got me! I have no idea what that is for. My car didn't have that in it so I can't tell you what it is for! As for fitting voice, the plug for that should look like the ones for the amp (grey) but it will be a little longer. If I remember correctly, there is only one plug (besides the D2B harness one) for the voice, even though you can see it looks like it takes two. I don't see the correct plug in your pics, but in my car, it was tied up to the factory harness and buried way back behind stuff. But, if you found your phone connectors, I'd be surprised if the voice wasn't there. I'd take a quick look at mine, but it's been kinda cold here lately (-42C the other night) so that isn't really friendly weather to work in!

Also, you don't have to go to the dealer for anything! These cars are smart enough to discover when things have been installed. When I did mine, everything was working fine as soon as I turend the key! So save your money, don't go tot he dealer and we'll see if this can be sorted out! Also, I'm wondering if because your car was pre-production if some things are a little bit wonky on it which would explain that strange green plug and possibly no voice connector? I'll take a better look at your pics and see if I can find some answers for you!

Just noticed you can see the part number on the phone module and it looks like the right one to me so that shouldn't be your problem.
Also just noticed that in the pic of the center console that nothing is plugged into the correct connector for the BTUM. If that pic is with it plugged in, then you have it in the wrong one! It should be plugged into the one in the top right corner of the pic, if you can tell what I mean! If you don't have it plugged into that one, then that is why it won't work.

Last edited by WinterJag; 01-19-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: New information.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:17 AM
jya

Very impressive retrofit effort WinterJag!
Hopefully I can get to the bottom of my problems and avoid the dealer also.

Have retrofitted ACM, reverse/sensor, Rear Seat Connectivity Systems easy enough!As well as upgrade standard front speakers to splits.
But I am totally stumped with these Bluetooth/Phone and Voice modules.

So the 2 grey plugs in these photos go to the premium sound amp which I don't have. But I am still not sure which one to suit my car as there are plenty for sale on ebay.

In my previous photo it looked like I haden't pluged the small Bluetooth module in (the plug in the middle of that photo was from the ACM) but I assure you I had, into that male/red 9 pin plug under the console. The car didn't have the 5 pin one which I know would have needed additional wiring.
At least everything else that was there still works on the optic network
I have included some fresh photos of what was in the trunk, including the new screen message I now get when I press the phone symbol on the console. This is the only thing that has changed!

As for something to plug the voice module into???
Have a look at the photos, but I can't see what to connect it to.
Perhaps I have too modern a module?
Or which would be very suprising, no prewiring as you have mentioned.
Or perhaps the wrong country designated modules?? (These are USA spec).

I took jagv8's advise and had a look at the electricals but I can't get much out of it.

Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails Can't find VOICE MODULE plug/harness in trunk!-whenpressphonebuttononconsole.jpg   Can't find VOICE MODULE plug/harness in trunk!-allspareplugsleft.jpg   Can't find VOICE MODULE plug/harness in trunk!-veiwofnavcdandaddedphonemodule.jpg   Can't find VOICE MODULE plug/harness in trunk!-navigationmodule.jpg  
Old 01-24-2011, 06:05 PM

Well, I got that message on the screen when I first installed mine, but that was because I had the wrong Phone module, from what I see, you have the right one. It is possible that the bluetooth module is faulty, but short of trying a different one, I don't know. I know that the BTUM will work from any software level (ie. AA and up) since I use one that says AA and that is the first software level, as far as I know! So, on that screen, I don't really know what to do next!
Now, for the voice, I still can't see the proper connector there for it. I have no idea why. It shouldn't matter where the module came from, since I use one from the UK and it works fine with a Canadian spec car. I've also heard of others using mix and match parts from all over the world and they all work fine, unless there is something special for you guys down under. The only thing I could possibly think of, without looking at the car myself, is that the odd green connector that nobody seems to know what its for is actually for voice. Maybe since it was preproduction they though they might use a different kind of voice module but once they started making the car they went to what the rest of us have. I figure that is unlikely, but at this point I'm out of ideas! The strangest thing is that I can see on the D2B network labels (yellow ones) that you have one labelled phone/voice. This is the same as I had and mine was prewired. As far as I know, only prewired cars got this extra loop labelled phone/voice (correct me if I'm wrong people!) so the voice connector should be there. Although anyone who has done anything with these cars can tell you that Jaguar seems to throw curve ***** at you when you try to do something! They'll tell you you aren't prewired, and you are, or tell you you are prewired, and you aren't. The list goes on. Maybe the guy who built your car decided to have some fun that day and add a mystery green connector.
For the amp, I believe that any premium sound amp from any Jag should do. Now, I haven't worked with that particular retrofit before, so don't take my word on it, but I believe that any one will do. It should also be plug and play.
Hope this helps! And anyone with anything to add, or correct, feel free to chime in!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member

Are we talking about the green plug at the bottom left of the 2nd photo above?
If you count the holes (for pins), how many are there and is there no similar one listed in the electrical guides?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 PM
jya

Thanks for the comprehensive reply WinterJag.
It appears that this is going to be alot harder than I expected.

Have certainly looked at the electrical guide and I am struggling to find that 12-Way Green connecter anywhere!
And very strange that this car appears not to be prewired for Voice but prewired for just about everything else.

I will make a time and visit my friendly Jag dealer.
Let you all know how it goes.

Cheers

Old 01-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Some cars dont have the voice prewire. This early model might not. Starting in 2005 only R, VDP, and NAV equipped s-types have the connector. Its sometimes taped back into the harness, and needs to be cut out.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

A list of the colours of each of the wires in the green plug would give other people the chance to look to see what it may be.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:39 PM

Just to clear up the prewire issue, cars before 2005 did have the prewire. Basically things from 2003 on were prewired for most things from what I have herd. There are some exceptions, but for the most part, all facelift cars have prewire. I know mine did and it is a 2003 and even before the VIN cutoff Jag gives for prewire. Basically, the onyl wat to tell is to have a look!

Old 03-18-2011, 06:15 AM
jya
Default Fibre-Optic plug

Yes still persisting with the phone and voice modules!
I will get there eventually.
The dealer today claimed they spent an hour to get the phone module to talk to the car and got nowhere. They have sent off an email to Jaguar with the software issue and will let me know, so I will keep you posted.
The car certainly is pre wired for phone(2002.5, preproduction STR, M45134). As phone module plugged straight in.
Definately no loom pre wire for the voice module though. ANYONE know if this loom is available to buy? Or able to be wired up?
It was all to hard for the lazy parts staff at my dealer. They gave up after a few calls.

Also I assume that I will now need to change the 3 point fibre-optic network loop plug to a 5 point, as it now has to take :-
1) Pwr Amp (recently purchased and car was prewired for)
2) Existing Sat Nav
3) Existing CD
4) Phone/Bluetooth (retro added)
5) Voice module (still sitting in box and retro wiring/loom required)

These optic loop cables have FORD part numbers.

As for the mysterious/elusive GREEN plug in boot, I can only assume it is for a tow bar???
For any guru's out there that may know here are the wire colours/ details-:
11 Pins:

1-White, 2-Black, 3-White, 4-BLANK, 5-White/Black, 6-White/Red, 7-Black, 8-Black/Silver dot, 9-Orange/Green, 10-BLANK, 11-Black, 12-BLANK, 13-BLANK, 14-Drk Brown/Burgandy,
15-BLANK, 16-Black.

Cheers John.

Attached Thumbnails Can't find VOICE MODULE plug/harness in trunk!-ampnavphonecd.jpg   Can't find VOICE MODULE plug/harness in trunk!-fibreopticplug.jpg   Can't find VOICE MODULE plug/harness in trunk!-misterygreenplug.jpg  
Old 03-18-2011, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

If other cars don't have that 16-way (green) connector, maybe it's unique to your pre-production car. Tracing where it goes and exactly what each wire is would be next on my list in that case.