S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car alarm problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Car alarm problem

Hi all. I purchased a 2001 S-Type V8 black Jag in mint condition about 4 years ago. Paid cash so it is mine! I have wanted one since I was 12 years old. Finally got one. I love the style of the S Type.

I've had to deal with the heating issues already and had a new heater control valve and thermostat put in. Goodyear said I had a few leak issues when I had the oil changed last week. A few weeks ago my car alarm starting going off for no reason. I drove it one day and then that night everything was completely dead. I came here and joined, read some suggestions and to see how to open the trunk to try to jump the battery. Found the keyhole. Thanks!!!

So from reading here it was the battery causing the alarm to go off three or four times during the day or night. I took the battery to Autozone and let them check it and they said it was 'done.' So I bought a new battery and it's in the car. Starts up with no problem.

However, the car alarm just went off AGAIN for no reason.

Any suggestions?

Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Does it go off all the time or only after being parked and locked for a while?
Only at night or day time too?

Do you have an (electrical) meter so you can measure voltages?

A few things spring to mind. There's a backup (small) battery inside the alarm which needs to work. Or you may have an electrical drain (which will not be kind to the new battery).

Old 02-07-2013, 04:13 AM

Thank you for replying.

It only happens once n a while. Before I bought the new battery (which I received advice regarding that from someone else here) it happened more frequently. I would be in a store shopping and would hear it go off. It would go off in the middle of the night and I'd run outside thinking a squirrel jumped on the car but nothing. I'd just turn it off.

I put the battery in today and locked the car. About an hour later the alarm went off and I just turned it off. Haven't heard it again. I don't have a meter but I will take it tomorrow (today) and have it checked fro a drain.

Where is that backup battery located?

Old 02-07-2013, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

Another thing it may be is one of the sensors, commonly the bonnet (hood) one - in effect seeing a (false) break in. Could be boot (trunk) sensor, either.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Common problem with 2000-2002 S Type vehicles. Open trunk and lift carpet covering spare tire. Look for signs of water intrusion. Look for small white 2 pin connector next to battery. Maybe hard to find but keep looking. Those connectors get water in them and corrode and can cause alarm to go off. This connector is for vehicle transit relay, for when car is new and being transported that battery does not go dead. If you find connector just cut off connector and put electrical tape around open wire. Also open and check remote for car. Can get nasty in there and may need to be clean. You may have to take to dealership and have them look up last alarm data which would tell them what was causing alarm.

Attached Thumbnails Car alarm problem-p2060250.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
aprilneo (02-08-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by JagMaSteR0917
Common problem with 2000-2002 S Type vehicles. Open trunk and lift carpet covering spare tire. Look for signs of water intrusion. Look for small white 2 pin connector next to battery. Maybe hard to find but keep looking. Those connectors get water in them and corrode and can cause alarm to go off. This connector is for vehicle transit relay, for when car is new and being transported that battery does not go dead. If you find connector just cut off connector and put electrical tape around open wire. Also open and check remote for car. Can get nasty in there and may need to be clean. You may have to take to dealership and have them look up last alarm data which would tell them what was causing alarm.
Thank you! I will do this. As of now I'm upset thought because I just went outside to start the car and it won't even turn all the way over. I'm waiting on my son to come over and we will look at it and use your suggestions.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 PM

Okay I got someone to jump the battery and he also looked for that cable. I showed him the pic. He says there's only a black cable and he's afraid to do anything to it. He did see some water though. I am so frustrated right now. It won't turn over.

There is a dealer near me but I absolutely do not trust them. I took my car to them once and they were supposed to replace a simple tail-light bulb and put it on the diagnostic machine to see why the heater wasn't working. They charged me $157 and the next day I noticed the tail-light was still out. Since they were closed I went to AutoZone and the associate said the tail-light was the same old burnt out one. So I refuse to ever go there again.

I will look here for a reliable mechanic near Tacoma, WA.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member

You absolutely need a fix to stop water getting in the trunk! It's fairly common and the previous threads are worth reading.

Hunt more for the wire mentioned above, although if there's water that wire need not be the problem as there are plenty of other things in the trunk all of which need to be dry at all times.

aprilneo (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

i'd also check the trunk/boot light is switching off when the boot/trunk is closed.

have a look here for where some water enters Jaguar Water Leak in Trunk

another thing to do is remove the boot/trunk seal and rotate it 90* then refit it.

I had lots of water in the trunk/boot and the two fixes stopped it.

aprilneo (02-08-2013)