S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car got keyed today...does this happen a lot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car got keyed today...does this happen a lot?

I've had my car for less than three freaking weeks, and for about half of that time, the car's either been inoperable or in the shop. Finally got it back over the weekend good to go, and already within my first two days of taking it to school, some scumbag kid keyed the drivers side, got me pretty good too.

I got some stuff down at Wal-Mart, and it made it look slightly more tolerable (should've taken some before/after pics), but the thing that really pisses me off is that no matter how close to original shape it's in, it will always look 10X worse to me.

Is this a common thing when you drive a car like this? I'm sure there's a whole lot more scummy kids hanging around a high school parking lot than there is out in the real world, but if it took less than two days for me to get keyed there, it makes me wonder how often people get keyed elsewhere...

/End rant.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Not a common thing because S-types are not really anything special, unless its in super condition and the shiny paint is just begging to be scratched. If you need a paint job, it could total your car though which is not good

Old 04-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

When I first started my bussiness in 78, I got a lot of vandalized jobs like this. I came from working in a Caddy dealer so I got several of those but also Lincolns. And I'm not so sure it was just kids. Most times it happened outside of nightclubs/bars late at night. Jealosy I suppose. And if you pissed off any members of the opposite sex, all bets are off.

Sounds like yours was a random thing hopefully. Are you a student or teacher? Maybe someone didn't like their grade? Anyway, I really don't see as much these days. I think the bad ones are too busy stealing stuff for drugs to waste time scratching cars.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gotmoss89
I've had my car for less than three freaking weeks, and for about half of that time, the car's either been inoperable or in the shop. Finally got it back over the weekend good to go, and already within my first two days of taking it to school, some scumbag kid keyed the drivers side, got me pretty good too.

I got some stuff down at Wal-Mart, and it made it look slightly more tolerable (should've taken some before/after pics), but the thing that really pisses me off is that no matter how close to original shape it's in, it will always look 10X worse to me.

Is this a common thing when you drive a car like this? I'm sure there's a whole lot more scummy kids hanging around a high school parking lot than there is out in the real world, but if it took less than two days for me to get keyed there, it makes me wonder how often people get keyed elsewhere...

/End rant.
sorry to hear that man, Im sure you wanted to kick them in forehead 4 times. next time dont park near the school. I walk to pick up my niece from school because the kids are all over the street and angry moms driving letting go of there estrogen at everybody

Old 04-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This boils my blood!! I'm so sorry. repairs can be costly so it may not be worth it to repair.

There are 3 things you never touch on a man no matter what your issue is with him. His wife, his kids, or his car. People need to have some mafia style honor these days.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

I feel your pain.....Give dr.colorchip a try; color you get is exact match. It will help fill in the deep scratch atleast. I was playing around like being picaso yesterday with it on my car, its additive using it. But it does work, I still have to take some pics of it. Key to using it, let it dry the first time around then recoat atleast 2 more times to get it right

Jealousy is the root of all evil

Last edited by jag79; 04-05-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree dr.colorchip is pretty good. The best thing about it is the color match is spot on.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

There are 3 things you never touch on a man no matter what your issue is with him. His wife, his kids, or his car.
Tell that to Keyser Soze.

I always hate parking lots (especially valet lots in NY). No matter where you park there's always some new ding or scuff on the car from some careless moron. More often when I was in school that at work lots, but it happens everywhere.

I think you should track this person down and key their face! Keying my car is like walking in the yard and kicking my dog.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

What a scum , I dearly hope that someday those who key anyone's car will be keyed in turn

Old 04-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I dream of the day I catch someone doing that to my cars...free pass to dole out a good ol fashioned whoopin'. In Texas the Castle Doctrine extends to your car, you can defend your personal property with lethal force, not that I would want to defend myself for double tapping some kid for keying my car but at least it makes some people think twice about messing with a man's possessions....for those that actually think.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gotmoss89

/End rant.
Wow. Sorry dude. Dont shop at Wal-Mart anymore!!!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisSTR
This boils my blood!! I'm so sorry. repairs can be costly so it may not be worth it to repair.

There are 3 things you never touch on a man no matter what your issue is with him. His wife, his kids, or his car. People need to have some mafia style honor these days.
Well said Chris !

Old 04-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmainevents
Wow. Sorry dude. Dont shop at Wal-Mart anymore!!!
To be honest I don't think he was shopping at Wallys, he got the patch up kit there.
I like Walmart 'cause the car parks are big enough to park away from everybody else, and most people there won't take the trouble to walk that far.

Gotmoss, I understand how you feel, sickened when you first saw it and furious every time since.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

That sucks. But it happens. If that didn't happen, then it would be that dump truck on the road hauling gravel without a tarp and spraying your car with it. I've lost a few windshields like this, and got a few dings and chunks too. There is always something out there to get ya....

Have a pro give it a try with color sanding would be my advice, if it is not the whole way through the paint.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably random, happens at my school sometimes from the townies.... Hasn't happened to me on either of my cars I've had here though...

could have been something personal

Old 04-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its happened to 4 of my previous/current vehicles. It made me wonder if i pissed someone off but it was random and years apart. I've been fairly lucky that they weren't deep though. I took 3M rubbing compound then swirl mark remover to the spots to get the key mark out. The X300 got keyed down to the metal though. I had to build it up with touch up Brooklands Green then compound to blend it in. I still notice the spot but you need to be looking for it to catch it.

When someone keyed my CJ-7 I kinda felt proud of the old girl. Someone else payed attention to the rust and primer black jeep even if it was for just a few seconds. I got my rattle can out and fixed it.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Say hello to my friend Dr.ColorChip, before & after pics!

Deleted......

Last edited by jag79; 04-08-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:40 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I sympathize 100% Gotmoss re. your scratched car. It is just another thing about the modern western world I just don't get. (Can you imagine it happening in Japan?). Oh, and BTW it happens in Britain too, but not as bad nowadays as it was in the 1970s.

Of course, we can talk all we want on a website or in casual conversation, but WE have spawned these malcontent kids/kidults, and WE have failed to bring them up and educate them into responsibility and respect for other people's property.

I see it as part of a society (yes, I still use that word) that is too soft, too wrapped up with political correctness, too wrapped up in political ideology, too blinkered to life's realities. Amazingly, even the teachers are rebelling against this mamby-pamby treatment of teenage wrongdoers. A strike is forecast in a northern british town, not over pay, pensions or salaries, but over the ruling educational elite refusing to back up the teachers in trying to apply some sort of discipline to the schoolkids.

"There is no such thing as society" -- So said Dame Margaret Thatcher when she was Prime Minister in UK. Boy oh boy oh boy did she get THAT wrong!

Leedsman.