Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wash/Limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Car wash/Limp mode

Hello All!!...
Took Jaggy over to the car wash today (I've had it there before). It's the kind where you sit in one place and the machine moves. Actually...it does a very good job, even the wheels (the only part with a brush). Anyhoo...as I went to pull out, I noticed the engine was ideling high. I pulled over to the vacuums and I had a check engine light, DSC fault, Hand brake fault and system engine fault. So I shut her off and restarted... same thing. I limped her home (at 10 mph) and shut her off again. Turned her on (started it up) and same faults were reading again. I disconnected the positive terminal of the battery for 30 or so seconds and tried again and presto...all faults were gone except it now said apply foot and hand brake. After doing that, I still had the engine light (orange) so I ran up to the Ford store where they generaly read my codes for me, ( the car was no longer in limp mode) but the service guy who does that was at lunch. So...I went to two other places where they said they didn't have a reader. When I left there I started the car and the engine light must have reset itself, because it was off. Now it's running fine. Had to reset the windows also. Sure wish I knew what triggered the faults. I guess I'll have to hand wash her from now on.. Oh well...it could have been worse...
Drive On!!...

Fast Freddie

Old 07-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same thing happened to me several times after going thru the car wash. Would shut it down, wait several minutes and then it would start back up just fine. Told my dealer about it and he fabricated some kind of cover for some kind of sensor.
The problem cleared right up.
Sorry about being vague. The next time that I go to the dealer, I'll ask him to tell me which sensor he covered up.
I also have an 05 str.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

If you use Search or even better Advanced Search and choose just this forum, you'll find this is fairly common and almost always due to water going where it never should. Sometimes due to a leak which has developed and needs sealing (such as below windshield - we say windscreen). Other times a connector which again should be sealed but over the years now isn't (such as at throttle body). Have a good read as the fixes are there too.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:38 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You got it wet - don't let it happen again.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:06 PM

Thanks Fellas for the reply;
FireCat: I would appreciate the name and location of that sensor should you get a chance, then mebbe I can keep this from happening again.

jagv8: I know what you mean. I've looked under that long plastic piece at the bottom of the windshield, you immediately see the bottom of the glass. And the cover doesn't even seal the window and water can get in there easy enough. I don't know what is below there... obviously some kind of drain for water that gets in there. And I agree, search and advance search works just dandy...IF... you know the correct words to search for. Otherwise it doesn't show you anything. In this case, what would you use..."windshield seal"?, "car wash"? "wet engine"?....

Thanks again fellas

Drive on!!...

Fast Freddie

Old 07-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FireCat
The same thing happened to me several times after going thru the car wash. Would shut it down, wait several minutes and then it would start back up just fine. Told my dealer about it and he fabricated some kind of cover for some kind of sensor.
The problem cleared right up.
Sorry about being vague. The next time that I go to the dealer, I'll ask him to tell me which sensor he covered up.
I also have an 05 str.
00 3.0 stype I got alot of water in the grill and it Idled very rough shaking and wanting to cut itself off.

sigh these cars man, I use a rinse-less car wash now

Old 07-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Kinda strange to me lol, S type don't like car wash then
I never try these either , hand by wash is a better yet ordeal work to do lol

Old 07-24-2011, 05:39 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

On the STR, the throttle body is mounted to the rear of the engine....Making it a prime target for water to flow on to it if the lower windscreen/cowl piece is not sealed properly.....The sensor connectors DO NOT like water...hence the limp mode...

Old 07-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Good search words like
limp
restricted
water

I think people over where you are call it a cowl (here it's a scuttle I think).

Old 07-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I remember on one of the posts some people having the same problem with the water which I had also experienced. It was suggested I take a clear silicone and apply between the windshield and rubber that the windshield sits in at the bottom of the glass to better seal it. You can peel back very carefully that piece of rubber to apply the silicone. Not sure how the water was working its way down from there but did what was suggested and have not had an issue since. Took a couple of minutes.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by hafferf
Hello All!!...
Took Jaggy over to the car wash today (I've had it there before). It's the kind where you sit in one place and the machine moves. Actually...it does a very good job, even the wheels (the only part with a brush). Anyhoo...as I went to pull out, I noticed the engine was ideling high. I pulled over to the vacuums and I had a check engine light, DSC fault, Hand brake fault and system engine fault. So I shut her off and restarted... same thing. I limped her home (at 10 mph) and shut her off again. Turned her on (started it up) and same faults were reading again. I disconnected the positive terminal of the battery for 30 or so seconds and tried again and presto...all faults were gone except it now said apply foot and hand brake. After doing that, I still had the engine light (orange) so I ran up to the Ford store where they generaly read my codes for me, ( the car was no longer in limp mode) but the service guy who does that was at lunch. So...I went to two other places where they said they didn't have a reader. When I left there I started the car and the engine light must have reset itself, because it was off. Now it's running fine. Had to reset the windows also. Sure wish I knew what triggered the faults. I guess I'll have to hand wash her from now on.. Oh well...it could have been worse...
Drive On!!...

Fast Freddie
There was a Service Action published by Jaguar for this very issue. Easy to correct. Many folks even elaborate on the repair and add a deflector of sorts to shed water away from the Throttle Body. The water gets in the TPS connector and sends her into limp home. See attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
S303-S159.pdf (54.8 KB, 921 views)
Old 07-25-2011, 12:51 PM

Thank you XJR Guy...
I don't know how much difference it makes, but my Jag is way out of that Vin range. But I'll take a squint at mine and see if it's the same.
Thanks again.
Take Care
Fast Freddie

Old 07-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by hafferf
Thank you XJR Guy...
I don't know how much difference it makes, but my Jag is way out of that Vin range. But I'll take a squint at mine and see if it's the same.
Thanks again.
Take Care
Fast Freddie
I'm betting you will find the little patch they are talking about is there, but the cowl finisher has been off and on once or twice and it's partially gone or full of holes.

Cheers,