S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start :(

Hi everyone, hopefully someone here can help with my issue.
I have a 2004 s type 4.2 v8.
It has been sat for a while and now won't start.
When I turn the key everything comes on, all the electrics work (stereo, windows, seats ect) but when I turn the key to start the car nothing happens at all.
On the dash I get the following flag up, gearbox fault, parking break fault cruise not available.
At first I thought it could be a battery issue so I ripped it out and put it on charge, put it back in and still nothing.
Now to be fair my battery charger is old as the hills so I tried jumping it from my wife's car, still nothing.
I have checked fuses but can't see that any have blown.

Anything I may have missed?

Old 08-18-2017, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

It's probably the battery. You might try measuring how low the voltage sags when it has a really heavy load, to confirm it.

It's a big heavy engine and importantly the modules must have enough volts even when the starter is trying to flatten the battery.

Jumping via another car is a bit risky in terms of voltage spikes and things like alternators fighting each other, not least as the car has a smart charging system.

If you're able to check the voltage at the starter as you try to start that might help but access is awkward.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
It's probably the battery. You might try measuring how low the voltage sags when it has a really heavy load, to confirm it.
+1 on that. I see two options:

1) Connect a voltmeter to the battery. Have a helper turn the key to the start position while you watch the voltmeter. On most cars, 10.0 volts is the low limit for battery voltage under the load of the starter. Sounds bad for a 12 volt battery, but it is perfectly normal to approach that limit. However, as oft mentioned around here, these cars require a higher voltage to keep the computer modules alive during cranking. I don't know what this limit might be, but maybe somebody can chime in. However, I highly suspect you will find the voltage dropping well below 10.0, so the more restrictive limit will be a moot point.

Or

2) Take the battery to a parts store and have it tested. Ask around for a capacitance type tester, as that style will give more accurate results than a simpler resistive tester.