S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car won't start randomly

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car won't start randomly

Ok guys..I'm getting crazy frustrated here and hoping you can give me good advice. My wife has a 2002 S-type R that we've had on the road about a year now. Unfortuantely, she's only driven it a grand total of maybe 6 months inbetween trips to the shop. The problem no one can seem to figure out is that it occasionally won't start. It cranks, but not starts. Most often, when it does this at all, it has trouble once or twice but then will catch no problem after that. The only code i ever had was the P0420 which I replaced the catalytic converter and that went away. The shop has experienced the starting problem but it's too random for them to see it consistently. They had the fuel pressure gauge hooked up as well as that little wire that shows spark. Stopped by the shop last week, we tried it together and no start first attempt. He said he was seeing no spark. I was thrilled! We actually saw a problem. But today he told me he hasn't gotten any further because they try it every day and it always starts. I know that. The issue is too random to catch it every day. But when it's a problem, it's a problem. Isn't there something the shop could be looking at to see why we got no spark even when it's not acting up? We're never going to get a consistent occurance of the starting issue, it doesn't do it. BTW, since I've had the car, I've done plugs and coils, new battery (which tests fine and holds charge no problem) and new fuel filter. Sorry so long winded, but it's been a long ordeal.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Is it possible the transponder in the key is causing the issue??? watch the red light for the transponder if it flashes it isn't picking it up.

And the build date may be in 2002, however it is in theory an 03. (or 2002.5 from what i can see)

Old 06-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,941 Posts

+1 (as a possibility) - and you should have a 2nd key. Try using it and see if all is then OK.

If it also fails when using the 2nd key, then maybe it's the steering column lock / related parts to blame. Brutal posted about it some time back. He's a jag tech.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Not the column lock, but the ignition switch. But its more of a no crank, not a crank no start.
I guess im gonna assume its a non dealer that doesn t have accessto ids/sdd to jaguar specific codes cause theres alot that generic scanners will never pick up.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, sorry. What Brutal said

What codes would IDS etc detect for this?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:21 PM

Can busses off, network integrity test, instrument pack faults and on and on

The following users liked this post:
JagV8 (06-29-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  19.3 KB

I'm not saying that this is your issue, but I've had several issues recently with another 2 cars that had the same problem and the crankshaft sensor was the culprit........perhaps someone with knowledge such as Brutal could advise if this may a potential issue here?

Old 06-28-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64

I'm not saying that this is your issue, but I've had several issues recently with another 2 cars that had the same problem and the crankshaft sensor was the culprit........perhaps someone with knowledge such as Brutal could advise if this may a potential issue here?
yes possible. dont see that much at all and SHOULD throw a code for the crank sensor...did I say SHOULD? there are many things that are faulty without giving a clue to their fault however making it even more difficult to diag. and being intermittent is the worst
"Did I really fix the problem? or is it just not acting up right now???"

Old 06-28-2011, 09:31 PM

thanks guys. i appreciate the input. yes Brutal, you are correct, i have it at an indy shop. as it turns out, on a separate issue, i also have a cat sytem fault message that showed up after another shop replaced my tie rod and control arm (hmmm...) and that guy isn't standing by his work. anyway the new guy is taking my car to the dealer this week to get diagnostics on that. sounds like i should have the dealer run additional diagnostics for those codes the generic scanners can't pick up? even though i have no check engine lights, etc.? what should i ask for? anything specific?

Old 06-28-2011, 10:25 PM

you can have all kinds of codes without check engine lights on. just make sure they dont clear codes and then see what comes back. while this is fine AFTER you reach a certain diagnostic point, some techs thinks that a first diag proceedure. and many extended warranty companies try to get out of repairs by saying "well lets clear the code and drive it and if it comes back we'll pay for the repair" they know that many codes for cel's and not always hard faults and just pisses us and customers off. your biggest problem is its not a hard fault. and this can lead to alot of time/$$$ spent. you really need to know what codes like U codes,(communication) P codes, etc... see whats there. Realize you probobly wont get a hard quote or repair for a check out fee. Many issues like this run alot more involved. But then you might get some info that will help to get it fixed quickly

Old 06-29-2011, 10:45 AM

ok. thanks, again. I'll keep you posted when i have something to tell. let's hope it's soon.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by phd12volt
Is it possible the transponder in the key is causing the issue??? watch the red light for the transponder if it flashes it isn't picking it up.
If this were the case (causing the PATS system to kick in) would it cut off the spark? I would expect that scenario to cut off the fuel pressure, as most similiar sytems do. Pressure at the rail is fine when this is occuring. Or am I wrong about how the PATS system works?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:31 PM

ok all, promised to post when there is more to tell. unforunately that's not much. dealer picked up no codes at all. having my guy switch it over to standard shocks (see other related post) and going to have to wait and see about the random starting issue. luckily it's a very random issue and always catches on the 2nd attempt (so far). Bought the car private and never had a spare key. Going to order one up...can't hurt even though it's expensive.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:07 AM

Hey kgrosse,

I know it's 3 years later but would love to know if you or (anyone for that matter) ever found the source of this issue it's happening on mine.

Symptoms:
Insert key(I only have one)
Turn key
Car doesn't crank - (red alarm light does stay on)
Dashboard lights on
Keep trying steps above until cranks and starts up.

It's intermittent. And iv'e taken it to a shop and they couldn't find anything even said they tried to start it 40 times and it did every time. When the day before I was trying to get it to start for 10 mins before it did.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

If it doesn't crank you can rule out a bunch of things and are only looking at the others. Ignition switch itself is one.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

You have a different car so it would be worth your time to start a new thread.

But what was missing from both problems is what the red light on top of the dash is doing? This is the PATS light for the passive theft control.

It is NOT any of the dashboard lights you are looking at.

Is it on?
Is it flashing or solid?
Does that change between having the key on to when you actually crank the car?

Old 09-23-2014, 04:56 AM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Gracecaght
Hey kgrosse,

I know it's 3 years later but would love to know if you or (anyone for that matter) ever found the source of this issue it's happening on mine.

Symptoms:
Insert key(I only have one)
Turn key
Car doesn't crank - (red alarm light does stay on)
Dashboard lights on
Keep trying steps above until cranks and starts up.

It's intermittent. And iv'e taken it to a shop and they couldn't find anything even said they tried to start it 40 times and it did every time. When the day before I was trying to get it to start for 10 mins before it did.
Does it have a "steering column locked" warning on the control panel?

If so, try pulling the 10 amp blue fuse. No. 19 in the fuse box near driver's feet. This will prevent the steering column lock from working and the car will start reliably. If it is not showing steering column locked on the panel then you could try it to see. Your car is the same model as mine and pulling out fuse 19 won't effect any other important electrics (other than the steering tilt mechanism).

Although this is only an interim repair it is better than your intermittent non start issue and it will send you towards the purchase of a new locking mechanism.

There is also an issue with a failing battery which cause odd faults that are mentioned quite a lot on this forum.

I hope this is a help with your issue.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:01 PM

tbird6 - thanks I started a new thread |https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...5/#post1066173

Paul792 - No, it doesn't show "steering column locked"

thanks all, I started the new thread here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...5/#post1066173

Old 09-25-2014, 09:18 PM
Received 8,116 Likes on 4,899 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul792
Does it have a "steering column locked" warning on the control panel?

If so, try pulling the 10 amp blue fuse. No. 19 in the fuse box near driver's feet. This will prevent the steering column lock from working and the car will start reliably. If it is not showing steering column locked on the panel then you could try it to see. Your car is the same model as mine and pulling out fuse 19 won't effect any other important electrics (other than the steering tilt mechanism).

Although this is only an interim repair it is better than your intermittent non start issue and it will send you towards the purchase of a new locking mechanism.

There is also an issue with a failing battery which cause odd faults that are mentioned quite a lot on this forum.

I hope this is a help with your issue.
U.S. spec S-Types DO NOT HAVE STEERING COLUMN LOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When we replace an INSTPK we MUST configure it NO STEERING COLUMN LOCK FITTED.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
Paul792 (09-29-2014)
Old 01-21-2015, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same kind of problem.

Hello my name is chris and I am having a problem with mine similar to this one. One day I was getting off of the freeway and it stalled out when I made a left turn kinda fast. I messed with it for a few checked wires no luck. I sat in the car for a few and it started randomly on its own. I drove it home. It said engine stall again as I pulled into the drive way. I replaced the fuel pump. And still no luck. Its getting fuel and spark and seems like it is something so simple. And its bugging me. I really like this car and dont want to get rid of her. But at this point im at a stand still

Quick Reply: car won't start randomly