Sponsored by:

CATS System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Default CATS System Fault

Hi Guys,

2000 S Type V8

I went to Firestone a few weeks ago to get my front lower ball joint replaced. I have the lifetime allignment option w/ them (otherwise - I would go elsewhere for this repair)

Anyway, they reported back that both of my rear struts were in need of replacement (which I knew as the bushings were shot - both sides)

I have a replacement set of CATS struts and I replaced the passenger rear today. I disconnected the electrical connector before starting the work but had to move the car for the wife and I started the car w/o reconnecting the connector to the strut.... bam.... CATS System Fault message pops up.

In realizing this (duh) I paid no attention and replaced the strut (which BTW was a royal PITA... JTIS instructions were vague at best)

When I started the car after reconnecting the electrical connector to the replacement strut - the CATS System Fault message is still there...

I have the battery totally disconnected for at least 30 minutes in hopes of discharging the modules - any other ideas?

I have a Matco Determinator - but that is no help to reset the CATS System Fault message.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas - Anthony

Last edited by abonano; 11-23-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:29 PM

An update - left battery disconnected for an hour and touvhed positive and negative terminals together for 30 seconds as suggested on the forum.

No change - still have CATS System Fault message.

Disconnected harness at ADCM - then reconnected - fault message still in information display.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

I never got mine figured out, now I have non-CATS struts. I even took it to the dealer and they were pretty vague and said I needed all new struts; but I think they were guessing at it since they could give me the actual fault codes and they said they were "having problems with their scan tool" and such.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,415 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Might take Brutal to answer this one!
Sounds like a reset would fix it but it must be buried somewhere?
Hate to say it but maybe a dealer visit?

Old 11-24-2013, 12:49 PM

Thanks clubairth1 - I have that dealer feeling too...

I hooked up the battery this morning and started the car - no CATS System Fault message... then when I started the car again... there it was.

The only connections I disconnected was the rear struts - left and right.

Everything was 100% before disconnecting the CATS (rear passenger side) then starting the car. Thinking that maybe the replacement strut is crapped out - I hooked up the old strut (that was working) and still the CATS message is there.

Or, I just have to get the CATS codes deleted compliments of the Jaguar dealer... or I may indeed have a true CATS fault... One would think that once the fault is cured - the module would act as normal - but knowing Jaguar/Ford - that would be too easy... (still kicking myself for unplugging the strut then starting the car...ugh!)

There are two harnesses that plug into the ADCM - disconnect them both or just the blue harness until I can get her to the dealer/sort this out... to get rid of the CATS Fault message...?

Thanks - Anthony

Old 11-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Default Fault - Resolved!

Thought I would update everyone.

I found a used ADCM for $40 - purchased and installed. CATS is working 100% - no error message.

Jaguar quoted $150 to hook up, review codes and possibly reset them (if they could)

$40 spent and a valuable lesson learned - ensure battery is disconnected before unplugging any CATS component and ensure all is fully reconnected before proceeding...

Old 11-28-2013, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 3,945 Posts

How depressing.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,415 Likes on 1,900 Posts

You are one good shade tree mechanic!! I think you have fixed more on the early S Type than anyone else has.

Just the timing tensioners alone was tough enough and now you figured out a CATS problem! Most people would have unhooked the box and just lived with the car as it it turns into junk. But NOT you!!

Good work again! I learn from your adventures in repair.

How many miles do you plan to get out of the car?

Happy Thanksgiving to all of us Jag guys!

The following users liked this post:
abonano (11-28-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
You are one good shade tree mechanic!! I think you have fixed more on the early S Type than anyone else has.

Just the timing tensioners alone was tough enough and now you figured out a CATS problem! Most people would have unhooked the box and just lived with the car as it it turns into junk. But NOT you!!

Good work again! I learn from your adventures in repair.

How many miles do you plan to get out of the car?

Happy Thanksgiving to all of us Jag guys!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and our other forum members as well clubairth1 - I appreciate your support.

As of this morning - I have 218,236 miles on the clock. I would like to get the old girl to 300K miles...

I love the CATS system and just couldn't live with unplugging the harness, having that firm ride (like my 87 Pontiac GTA) and calling it a day. The old struts were in good shape but were showing signs of aging, especially the bushings - they were shot, which prompted me to swap them out...

Old 11-26-2015, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CATS

[I wanted to ask you if when you installed the used ADCM did the fault just not show up or did you still have to reset it.
Originally Posted by abonano

I found a used ADCM for $40 - purchased and installed. CATS is working 100% - no error message.

Jaguar quoted $150 to hook up, review codes and possibly reset them (if they could)

$40 spent and a valuable lesson learned - ensure battery is disconnected before unplugging any CATS component and ensure all is fully reconnected before proceeding...

Old 11-27-2015, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Sullivan

[/QUOTE]

Sounds familiar if I must say myself...lol

Old 11-27-2015, 11:21 AM
Received 8,151 Likes on 4,917 Posts

There is PROBABLY nothing wrong with the suspension module. When you installed the replacement module there were NO DTCs in that module and your system was operating normally. When you plugged it in there were no faults to display.

If you had cleared the DTCs from the original module it would probably have operated and NOT displayed CATS FAULT.

The module needs to be cleared with WDS, IDS, AutoLogic etc.

Some modules stop 'displaying' a fault if the circuit is corrected (eg. the ABS) but some need to be cleared after repairs are made. (not self clearing)
The fault will still be logged and a code for the fault retained in the module until it is ERASED. (just not displayed in the INSTPK)

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
macon6500 (01-13-2016)