S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A cautionary tale, my spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 07:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A cautionary tale, my spoiler

I'm sick over what I did today. I was approaching our 2003 STR from the front with an armload of things to put in the trunk. I pushed the button on the fob and sometimes it will raise on its own with just the assist from the struts, but other times it won't quite make it. This time I saw it pop up just a little and figured just a light touch would do the trick, as I was juggling the load I was carrying, and lifted the end of the spoiler with one finger. I felt like I barely touched it, but the end snapped completely off.

I suppose the only practical option I have for now is to do my best to line it up and use some super glue that's approved for plastic. I believe I still have some Gorilla Glue I used on plastic for a different purpose a few months ago. Obviously you'll still be able to see the seam and I'm not sure whether there's any effective way to disguise it. I'm sick over this, but what's done is done.

Don't make my mistake.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:46 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Oh boy

Old 03-23-2024, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

That's odd - mine's not so flimsy. Previously repaired or replaced maybe?

Old 03-23-2024, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
That's odd - mine's not so flimsy. Previously repaired or replaced maybe?
Nothing on the carfax about anything that could have led to this. No accidents or body damage at all. It certainly didn't look repaired previously, it appeared flawless until my fumble. And the spoilers, especially from the 2003 pre-facelift, are pretty much unobtanium. That leaves me with figuring out the best way to repair it and I'm going to take my time to do some research before I lift a finger. It breaks my heart, I'm really disappointed in myself for causing this.

Old 03-23-2024, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

It's not your fault if they're so easily broken - I'll be super careful what I do in future!

The following users liked this post:
velobard (03-23-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
It's not your fault if they're so easily broken - I'll be super careful what I do in future!
That's my mine purpose in posting this. I don't want anyone else to suffer this fate.

I remembered today about a shop nearby that does custom work on motorcycles and hot rods. I'm going to drop in next week to see if they might be able to help me. I cant prioritize it too high in my budget at the moment, things such as new tires and property tax come first. We bought this STR just recently,a 2003 with only 70k miles. Well...one of the hazards of an
older car with low miles that I failed to consider until this week is that the front tires are dated from 2011, with almost full tread! The rears arent quite as bad, but theyre due as well.

Old 03-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry for your poor luck and good luck with the fix.

velobard (03-23-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 03:13 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe get a trunk without wing from the wreckers might be dirt cheap depending on where you live.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:57 AM
Received 169 Likes on 132 Posts

The solution may be to rebuild it stronger. It is currently hollow. Fill the hollow with fibrous filler. Fill the hollow in the snapped off part with fibre filler and a long bolt sunk in the middle, press the two together and leave to cure. Once cured, sand, fill, prime, and respray. If done properly, no one would ever know it had been broken.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sportston:
Sheff928 (04-03-2024), velobard (03-24-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 09:50 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Your color appears to be a standard white as opposed to some kind of variant of a white. If so, maybe use an adhesive like you are already planning and if (as in you already know it will) the mending line shows, you could wrap the spoiler in vinyl. Not that it makes things better but it might get you by.

velobard (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 09:34 PM
jya
Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Looks like you missed my warning post from 18 months ago about this very same issue, and in exactly the same spot as yours!
I'm teasing as of course you hadn't joined this marvellous forum at that stage.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. See post link below.
20 years of heat and UV rays will weaken many exposed plastic components.
Was a task to remove the spoiler without damaging anything. I noticed the tabs it had were broken long before, probably from vibration and heat. The double sided tape was still holding very well.

I have temporarily taped up the boot holes while I continue to work out the best way to secure back the broken piece. Glue on its own is not sufficient, especially Gorilla Glue, strong Supa glue etc. Likely part will fall off and then you've no way to keep the original look.
You're right in that the X202 STR spoiler is no longer available. And I would advise against buying second hand; going to be the same problem. I've avoided any aftermarket sellers due to unknown quality and loosing the cars originality.
The X204 and above spoiler is still available from Jaguar. There are heaps of confusing part numbers but basically there are two versions of the same (obviously much smaller than the X202) spoiler profile. One which has the bottom protruding tabs; this is the spare part to refit the X204 and X206 STR and the other is the same profile spoiler without the bottom protruding tabs; this was sold as an 'option' to fit any other X204 or X206 S Type. This later spoiler has a modern pretty profile.
There is a comprehensive factory issued instruction (which I will attach) showing how to fit this genuine later Jaguar spoiler.

Upon a trial fitting it does appear that these later spoilers will actually fit on top of the X202's boot. To do this with the genuine X204/206 STR spare part, you just need to grind off the tabs. The tabs of course align with the X204/206 STR boot holes and don't align with the X202 STR boot holes.
Both are just double sided taped on the boot. Unlike the X202 STR spoiler (which was double sided taped on as well), which also has (to memory) three fairly useless clips; the tape would have done most of the work.
The double sided tape is attached from factory to the spoiler. I managed to buy a new spoiler from Jaguar a few months ago from when they had their 30% off sale. Their current sale is only 20%. Still okay, ends Sunday.
Cost me about 125 pounds delivered to Australia, amazing value from Jaguar.
I had no idea which version of the later spoiler I was buying until it arrived. I emailed Jaguar Rover Classic (where it was bough from) to try and confirm but they were clueless.
It ended up being the X204/X206 STR spare part version. Unpainted of course. Nicely wrapped and nicely packaged and a very well made part. Different plastic to the two piece (and two type of plastic) X202 STR spoiler which must have the two pieces either glued or heat melted.

If you want the original look (no fillers and the same factory look underneath) the only way to secure the broken piece on is to use two custom cut internal pin pieces (probably of aluminium) epoxy resin glued internally needing to support the broken piece; like my dentist did recently to support one of my broken off front teeth! Just not with epoxy LoL.
And epoxy gluing on its crack the broken piece on as well. One piece of the pin needs to be glued at each time. Glue the first aluminium pin to the main spoiler and the second to the broken piece, with glue all round of course.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...er-str-265340/

Attached Files
Old 03-28-2024, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by jya
Looks like you missed my warning post from 18 months ago about this very same issue, and in exactly the same spot as yours!
I'm teasing as of course you hadn't joined this marvellous forum at that stage.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. See post link below.
20 years of heat and UV rays will weaken many exposed plastic components.
Was a task to remove the spoiler without damaging anything. I noticed the tabs it had were broken long before, probably from vibration and heat. The double sided tape was still holding very well.

I have temporarily taped up the boot holes while I continue to work out the best way to secure back the broken piece. Glue on its own is not sufficient, especially Gorilla Glue, strong Supa glue etc. Likely part will fall off and then you've no way to keep the original look.
You're right in that the X202 STR spoiler is no longer available. And I would advise against buying second hand; going to be the same problem. I've avoided any aftermarket sellers due to unknown quality and loosing the cars originality.
The X204 and above spoiler is still available from Jaguar. There are heaps of confusing part numbers but basically there are two versions of the same (obviously much smaller than the X202) spoiler profile. One which has the bottom protruding tabs; this is the spare part to refit the X204 and X206 STR and the other is the same profile spoiler without the bottom protruding tabs; this was sold as an 'option' to fit any other X204 or X206 S Type. This later spoiler has a modern pretty profile.
There is a comprehensive factory issued instruction (which I will attach) showing how to fit this genuine later Jaguar spoiler.

Upon a trial fitting it does appear that these later spoilers will actually fit on top of the X202's boot. To do this with the genuine X204/206 STR spare part, you just need to grind off the tabs. The tabs of course align with the X204/206 STR boot holes and don't align with the X202 STR boot holes.
Both are just double sided taped on the boot. Unlike the X202 STR spoiler (which was double sided taped on as well), which also has (to memory) three fairly useless clips; the tape would have done most of the work.
The double sided tape is attached from factory to the spoiler. I managed to buy a new spoiler from Jaguar a few months ago from when they had their 30% off sale. Their current sale is only 20%. Still okay, ends Sunday.
Cost me about 125 pounds delivered to Australia, amazing value from Jaguar.
I had no idea which version of the later spoiler I was buying until it arrived. I emailed Jaguar Rover Classic (where it was bough from) to try and confirm but they were clueless.
It ended up being the X204/X206 STR spare part version. Unpainted of course. Nicely wrapped and nicely packaged and a very well made part. Different plastic to the two piece (and two type of plastic) X202 STR spoiler which must have the two pieces either glued or heat melted.

If you want the original look (no fillers and the same factory look underneath) the only way to secure the broken piece on is to use two custom cut internal pin pieces (probably of aluminium) epoxy resin glued internally needing to support the broken piece; like my dentist did recently to support one of my broken off front teeth! Just not with epoxy LoL.
And epoxy gluing on its crack the broken piece on as well. One piece of the pin needs to be glued at each time. Glue the first aluminium pin to the main spoiler and the second to the broken piece, with glue all round of course.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...er-str-265340/
I dropped by a shop today that does custom work on hot rods and motorcycles. The owner was confident he could do a proper repair. It would entail basically a splint into the main part that would extend into the broken part, so it's better reinforced. But still not a lift point, eh! I can't recall what he mentioned as far as reattaching the broken plastic, but I trust he knows what he's doing. He said painting would require removal and replacement of the spoiler. You say it's tape along with a couple of pins into the lid? He only noticed the tape, didn't know about the pins. He's not certain on the price of the paint, but all told it would be in the range of $300. I have some other pressing priorities, but I have a tentative plan on getting it back in one piece.

From what I can see tonight, Jaguar no longer has spoilers available for any year of the STR.

Last edited by velobard; 03-28-2024 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:29 AM
jya
Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Yes, by another word a 'splint' needs to be inserted internally for support there, so he seems to know what he's talking about. An 'epoxy resin' two pack glue to reattach the broken piece and the same glue likely to secure the pin or splint into place. Pin probably to have a few holes for the glue to attach through.
He's right again, to paint it properly you'd need to remove the spoiler. It's going to need to be removed to get the pin/splint in there properly anyway and after the epoxy sets its going to need a sand, prime etc. All impossible to do with the spoiler in place.
Have a look at the link to my previous post, I removed the boot liner and from inside the boot I took photos of the clips and central protruding plastic alignment pin; all underneath the spoiler so he won't be able to see them. They barely secure the spoiler, as mentioned the double sided tape is doing all the work.

Mmm, I must've bought the last genuine spoiler. Its for the later S Type's anyway; X204 onwards.
Even though it'll likely fit my X202 and will look quite nice I'm in two minds whether to use it. I'm going to repair my original spoiler anyway so I may just put this new one up for sale, see how I go.
By the way, $300 is well worth it, there's a few hours work there.

velobard (04-02-2024)