S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD-changer mounting points

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD-changer mounting points

We've recently obtained a 2002 S-Type (3.0). Absolutely love it so far. It's wired for (but did not have) the trunk-mounted CD-changer.

Having found an example of the factory Clarion changer on eBay (with the factory mounting bracket), I figured I had but to jog over to Home Depot to find the right sized bolts and then cinch 'er down.

But when I peeled back the protective tape covering the mounting points, where I expected to find threaded bolt-holes, I found instead hexagonal holes.

My question then, is: What sort of unholy fastener do I need for this? (I mean, really... hexagons?)

Old 08-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: CD-changer mounting points

Hey pal, I'd love to help, but I'm a bit lost. What bolts exactly are you talking about? It sounds like you need allen wrenches! Very common in mechanical work! A picture is worth a thousand words, so take one and I'll be glad to help! Welcome BTW, and a couple of pics of the car to go with it!

Old 08-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  7.4 KB

Welcome to the forum Frog..........As Biggie says......Post a few pics.......Lets see your ride.

Enjoy

Jim

Old 08-16-2007, 09:15 PM

I'd post a picture but the camera's gone missing. Let's see what I can do with a thousand words...

On the floor of the trunk, way over next to the left side, behind the trunk upholstery (which is fitted with an aperture where the changer magazine slides in and out) are the four mounting locations for the CD-changer. They line up perfectly with the four "feet" of the changer bracket. The "feet" of the bracket have maybe 3/4 inch holes in them, and it seemed like it would be quite simple to screw a bolt down through each one and into the floor.

Only instead of threaded holes in the floor which would accept a bolt, there is at each mounting location a hexagonal (6-sided) hole, or perforation, really. That's it. Just a hexagonal perforation in the metal. Very curious.

I reckon my best hope here is if someone on the forum has ever had occasion to remove their changer bracket and remembers how it went. Otherwise I guess I'll just have to break down and take it to the dreaded Dealer. (The one who's parts counter took thirty minutes to get the part number for floor mats. The wrong floor mats.)

I'll try to get some pics up if the camera ever turns up. Anyway, thanks for the replies, guys. Cheers.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Frog, wait til tomorrow mate. I'll remove my CD changer to see what you're talking about! I have an 01 3.0 and they should be the same!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:35 PM

Camera located. Now a few pics...

First the CD-changer in its bracket sitting in its place in the left rear. Notice that each of the four "feet" of the bracket lines up nicely with the four spots that have been covered with circles of black duct tape. (The tape was there when we got the car; seems to have come from the factory that way)

Detail of the "feet" showing the round perforations in them. You might be thinking now that you'll need to screw a bolt down through the "foot" of the bracket and into the floor, no?

Well, no. Peel back the tape and you do not find a threaded hole ready to receive a bolt. Instead you find a hexagon. A (an?) hexagonal perforation in the floor at each mounting point.

Close-up view of same.

As I've said, I expected this to be a simple bolt-in installation. But then this is my first experience with the spawn of Coventry and Dearborn. Perhaps things aren't always so simple...

Anyway, here's one of the car itself:

Bog-standard S-Type, and destined to stay that way.

(Unless I can find some Konis that'll fit...)

Old 08-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

OHHHHHHHH!! It's plastic clips like the ones that hold 90% of the plastic pieces in all cars. For whatever reason(oh wait...for a very specific reason) Ford chooses plastic over metal because it's cheaper. It holds it down just enough, and easy to remove should you choose to do so. Just get plastic clips to put in there and you should be good. I'd go to the dealer. Shouldn't be more than 5 to 10 bucks.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:53 PM

Ahh... plastic clips. The Devil's Handmaidens. (Or perhaps the Bean-Counter's Handmaidens. Same thing, I suppose.)

Well, that makes sense. Mystery solved then.

Off to the dealer we go.

Thanks m8!