Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD changer skipping

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CD changer skipping

2005 S type 4.2, 70K miles.

I've noticed recently that my CD changer has been skipping (in dash CD players is still fine).

I swapped out the CDs thinking maybe they had been scratched, but that wasn't it.

It's not a bad skip, just a "hiccup" like when you go over a bad bump (but it occurs without a bump), but it is still annoying.

It seems like the longer one CD plays, the less it skips (i.e. if I have it shuffling between all six discs it skips a lot, but if I'm just playing a CD all the way through it skips less).

Has anyone experienced this?

My only thought is maybe dust build up. Would it hurt anything to use one of those dusting spray cans of compressed air (like for cleaning a computer keyboard) to blow in there to see if I can get the dust out?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,387 Likes on 2,866 Posts

It could indeed be a dust build-up on the optical components within the CD player. It could also be that your CD player's optics need a simple recalibration....

First things first - clean the laser head with a Q-tip dipped in just a touch of alcohol. This is a precision job - not a good idea to go spraying a can of compressed air in there (way too much moisture in the can's propellant). Some optical designs are easier to reach than others. I've had units where it was easy to comfortably get a Q-tip in there, as well as units where I was fortunate to be able to get a toothpick in there. Take a good look at your unit using a flashlight and let us know what you can see through the CD slot. If we knew the make and model number, it would be easier to help you....

Old 01-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if the ambient temperature is affecting the operation of the CD changer. Consider the recent cold spell on the east coast, in conjunction with the location of the changer...and there are electronic devices (like some head units) that need high temperatures to operate most effectively...it's worth a shot I suppose.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

Any chance there's condensation/damp in there? You may like to check by and under the spare wheel.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dwhitall
I've noticed recently that my CD changer has been skipping (in dash CD players is still fine). Has anyone experienced this?
I did have this issue however, I let it lie and upgraded to the ACM; frankly, great move.

Not a lot of help, but with the additional functionality that the ACM brings, it is well worth considering.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:12 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Many people don't know the track following system for compact disc is ANALOG. Only the music is digitally encoded. There is more than one way of doing this, a few different philosophies, so therefore the 'mechanical disturbance problem' can vary due to the partic. manufacturer.
You can clean your discs with a proprietory spectacle lens cleaner and a soft cloth, but don't rub circumferentially, rub RADIALLY. The fine, invisible scratches cleaning off dirt and debris don't cause track-following disturbance unless they are in line with the track. Any scratches therefore are least troublesome when radial.
Another problem that sometimes causes mistracking is very small bubbles in the optical plastic. These are usually invisible to the naked eye, but defocus the laser beam, sometimes causing a skip on some track-following systems.
An old dodge for a bad disc was to polish it with wax polish; sometimes this worked a treat.
The laser has a focussing lens (objective) which commonly gets dirty after much use, especially in cars. It should be cleaned with a proprietory lens cleaner. Cotton buds are handy for this job. As the lens is plastic, I wouldn't clean it with solvents -- you never know!
Leedsman.