S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD Changer won't play non-factory CD

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 01:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CD Changer won't play non-factory CD

I could swear I saw this thread somewhere, but searching didn't find it, so if this is a duplicate, I apologize. Maybe somebody can move it to the right forum. My S-Type CD player (both the 6 pack changer in the trunk and the in-dash single) won't play my own recorded CDs. it will play retail. The screen either says 'No CD Loaded' or it indicates playing, but no sound. The counter moves as if it's playing, but that's it. So I'm not sure if the unit was never designed for non factory CDs or there is a problem with either the programs I'm using to create them, or the format I'm creating them in. I'm formatting them as MP3, and they work in every other application, i.e., laptop/desktop MP3 player. The unit appears to be working, but not being any kind of expert, I can't say for certain. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

It won’t play them because it can’t play MP3. If you just copied the CD as a CD it would play that but when you format it as an MP3 you need an MP3 player. Heres a post I found https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3D-mp3-193657/

The following users liked this post:
davidladewig (12-03-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 07:03 PM

I've using my own music library and burn my own CDs. They are all MP3 formatted. Had no idea the Jag would not play that format, so I'm curious as to what the format is, and whether my software can burn to their protocol. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:59 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

CDs were originally designed as an audio only (with a *tiny* bit of metadata) format. I haven't tried anything but standard audio CDs in my 2000 and I wouldn't expect the factory CD player to recognize MP3. There might have been aftermarket auto CD players that would play MP3 in 2000 but if I recall correctly it was the late Naughts before it was common.

I don't know what software or OS your using but there's plenty of cheap or low cost software that will convert MP3 to Audio CD format (Google it) and you'll have to resign yourself to only having 80 minutes of music per CD in the car.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:25 AM

I have several fairly high-end music converter programs that can convert into almost any protocol format such as AAC, WMA, AC3, MP3, WAV, M4A, FLAC, AIFF, MKA, OGG and even Apple's priority M4A and M4P, and none of those formats will play. I wasted 10 CD-R disks burning the same 30 songs in 10 different formats and inserting the disks and none of them played. I even used the same format as the retail music disk and it still wouldn't play. There has to be something written to the retail CD that I can't copy over to a blank that the system needs to read in order to play. Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,048 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by FhvnEd
There has to be something written to the retail CD that I can't copy over to a blank that the system needs to read in order to play.
Just curious, are you copying directly from a retail CD to your disc? I have burned a dozen or so CDs and they play just fine in my '02 (trunk unit). One possible difference is I've first copied the retail CDs to a library on my computer. From there, I've burned CDs directly from the computer library. If you're copying directly from CD to CD, perhaps there's some important bit of info not getting transferred, but the library feature automatically adds it.

Wish I could tell you what settings I used. Nothing fancy, just the basic copy and burn functions on a PC running Windows.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:24 AM
Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Try dubbing in WAV format. That is the most commercial recording format.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:54 AM

No. These are all music files bought and downloaded from iTunes, then converted to MP3 files. About 1700 all told over the years. I've converted the MP3 files into other formats because everyone here is saying MP3 won't play on the system. I've tried all the different transfer methods from creating a music CD to straight music file to CD transfer without the fancy software interface to Data Transfer to straight copy from music folder to CD. Nothing works. I've done this for years converting the files to MP3 and playing them everywhere but in the Jag. Slip them into the Ford Edge CD and they play just fine.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:08 PM
Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

Every CD in my CDC is a disk I have burnt myself on a PC from a MP3 file. They all work fine.
My guess would bre that whatever you are burning the disks on is not finalising the CD.
Have you tried the CD's you have made in another normal CD player?
They are all standard CD audio format.

Mellow

Last edited by M-e-l-l-o-w; 12-04-2020 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:09 PM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Hi
they will only play standard audio cd format
you can only get 20 to 23 tracks on usually depending on track length
most will burn to standard audio, I use Roxio and also windows media player will burn to standard audio
they wont play wav either
cheers
Joe

Old 12-06-2020, 04:02 PM

Thanks for that. I was burning them as a music cd. Using Roxio Creator NXT 3, I have the menu choices for Burn MP3 CDs; Burn Audio CDs; Burn Data Disc; Create Disc Music Projects. Evidently using anything but Burn Audio CDs puts non readable metadata on the disc the car's player can't read. Some will actually activate and show on the screen as "playing"... the counter even moves, but no sound. All the other options show up as "No Disk". Using the Burn Audio CDs option worked. When I burn Music CDs, I and get 70 or more pieces on the CD. Using this option only allows 30 and they all show a (track_1 [thru 30].cda) file name on the disk with no artist info at all, but they play. Even loaded the CD changer with 6 and they all play. Just don't display song info or album art on the screen.... but then, I don't know if the player is capable of displaying that info. Thanks for all the advice.

kr98664 (12-06-2020)
Old 09-10-2021, 07:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FhvnEd
Thanks for that. I was burning them as a music cd. Using Roxio Creator NXT 3, I have the menu choices for Burn MP3 CDs; Burn Audio CDs; Burn Data Disc; Create Disc Music Projects. Evidently using anything but Burn Audio CDs puts non readable metadata on the disc the car's player can't read. Some will actually activate and show on the screen as "playing"... the counter even moves, but no sound. All the other options show up as "No Disk". Using the Burn Audio CDs option worked. When I burn Music CDs, I and get 70 or more pieces on the CD. Using this option only allows 30 and they all show a (track_1 [thru 30].cda) file name on the disk with no artist info at all, but they play. Even loaded the CD changer with 6 and they all play. Just don't display song info or album art on the screen.... but then, I don't know if the player is capable of displaying that info. Thanks for all the advice.
Old thread and nice to hear you got it working. I would like to clear the problem further for anyone else wondering. The original cd format is just "audio cd". It is not a computer data disc, just audio cd. The old car players can only read that format. It can contain a limited amount of songs. Later it became common to burn cd's into data discs, that way they can hold computer files. MP3s, WAVs etc are computer files. Their advantage is that you can fit dozens of songs onto a single disc. The drawback is that you need a player that can read and play computer files. Only modern players that specify "MP3" in their input modes can do that. You can burn audio cd's from mp3 files with the right software that converts the files to audio cd but the limits of cd length then apply. Hope this helps anyone wondering about these.

Last edited by DiltWasney; 09-10-2021 at 09:57 PM.
kr98664 (09-10-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 09:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I spent most of my life repairing consumer electronics, and the problem as I see it could be one of two things, either the laser is getting weak or the format of the disc your trying to play is not accepted by the computer.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:14 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldtvman
I spent most of my life repairing consumer electronics, and the problem as I see it could be one of two things, either the laser is getting weak or the format of the disc your trying to play is not accepted by the computer.
Factory made discs are much more robust. The homeburnt ones have a weaker reflecting side that can weaken in time.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:56 PM
jya
Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

I realised the same, that my x202 stacker in the boot would not play mp3 but was unsure what format I had to burn in for it to work. No I know it's in 'audio CD' format.
Can anyone answer if that type of file has any other name, or just simply known as an 'audio cd'?
The cd player in the dashboard however does play mp3 burnt discs that I burn from mp3 Windows Media Player files but not sure if I have the option to convert files from Windows Media Player to 'audio CD' or any other format from mp3 stored files.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:19 PM
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jya
I realised the same, that my x202 stacker in the boot would not play mp3 but was unsure what format I had to burn in for it to work. No I know it's in 'audio CD' format.
Can anyone answer if that type of file has any other name, or just simply known as an 'audio cd'?
The cd player in the dashboard however does play mp3 burnt discs that I burn from mp3 Windows Media Player files but not sure if I have the option to convert files from Windows Media Player to 'audio CD' or any other format from mp3 stored files.
When the files (songs) are on your CD they have the extension .cda (for cd-da). These are written to CD using the Red Book protocol. This means they're sampled at 44.1 KHz & are 16-bit stereo, encoded using PCM.
When these files are on your PC (when you've copied a CD or 'ripped' a track) they're stored as a .wav (for WAVE). There are two types of file that use 44.1 KHz, 16-bit, stereo & these are WAVE & AIFF. I hope this helps. I should add that a decent audio program can convert .wav to mp3 to ac3 to wav & so on. <EDIT:- Good luck converting .wma (Windows Media Player) files to anything else.>

You say your dash CD plays mp3, so I'm going to try an mp3 CD in the single CD player on my STR tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful - but if it played mp3's on yours I'll give it a try (I know the changer won't play them) but I DON'T use Windows Media Player. There are also different types of mp3 encoding. The one I still use is based on the original Fraunhofer codec & is tweaked to correctly place the stereo.

Last edited by User 42324; 09-14-2021 at 06:57 PM.