Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceased Locking Nut on Jag S Type 2003

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ceased Locking Nut on Jag S Type 2003

Hello Honourable Members,

One of my jag's locking nut has ceased, the outer case is just rotatingwithout turning the nut itself.

I've gone to several garages around but none seems eager to remove it. Lasttime I had one removed myself by chiselling, but that was a hard work and I don’twant to go down that route again. Is there any other way of going about it?

Some people have suggested that the following sockets-(7pc1/2 drive twist socket set / wheel lock nut remover / removal) could do thework, is it true? Please advise.

Thanks

Old 11-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

You should have replaced all the crummy stock lug nuts after you had the first failure!!!

Most tire stores will have various sockets they hammer on the damaged lug nut to get them off. Don't go to a mechanic shop. Go to a tire shop.

When you do finally get it off replace ALL of them with stainless steel solid lug nuts. It's the only way to go and we have many threads on the forum about the different options.

My Dorman lug nuts work fine but are NOT SS. I wish they were!

Old 11-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tbird6
You should have replaced all the crummy stock lug nuts after you had the first failure!!!

Most tire stores will have various sockets they hammer on the damaged lug nut to get them off. Don't go to a mechanic shop. Go to a tire shop.

When you do finally get it off replace ALL of them with stainless steel solid lug nuts. It's the only way to go and we have many threads on the forum about the different options.

My Dorman lug nuts work fine but are NOT SS. I wish they were!
Is the lug nut another name for locking nut? the two ceased were the locking nuts, one for the rear and the other for the front. The normal nuts were fine but I will change them after your advice. I've gone to 4 tyre shops all refused. thx

Old 11-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

The locking ones fail also but you are right I was mainly talking about the standard lug nuts. They have a sheet metal cover the decays with time and use. Then you are on the side of the road with a flat tire you can't remove!

Do you need the locking ones? I threw away all locking lug nuts years ago when the key stripped out trying to remove a locking lug nut. Had to weld a socket to the lock nut to get it off. Lucky I did not ruin a rim.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Gibby, lug nut is 'merican for wheel nut.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

And seized is what ceased is meant to be, though it's rather appropriate!!

Old 11-06-2013, 03:14 AM
Unhappy locking nuts help, not lug nuts

Thaks for that, so is there anyway of removing the seized locking nuts not lug nuts? Please help

Old 11-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Other than the suggestions given in this and your other posts on the same subject, I can't think of any.

The following users liked this post:
Comrade Gibby (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Some careful drilling would also work but it'd be a pain.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:11 PM

Well, thanks very much, I'll go by the same old route so called barbaric method, chiselling. Once again thax. But be4 that, I saw these sockets below,can they help? Anyone has used them be4? Also please members, I want to change all nuts now please advise which ones can be used on s type 2003 (vin ending N03425) without damaging the rims.

Locking Wheel Nut Bolt Remover- JAGUAR E-Type, S-Type, X-Type LOST/ BROKEN KEY

Attached Images   
Old 11-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Jump to about the 2 minute mark, I believe it shows the tool above in action:

Old 11-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Comrade Gibby
I want to change all nuts now please advise which ones can be used on s type 2003 (vin ending N03425) without damaging the rims.
I replied with info on your other post, keeping the posts all in one place would help!

Ł33.45 for a tool you will never use again, I'd be breaking out the hammer and chisel.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I'd buy a cheap 3/8" drive socket and pound it over the stuck nut.

But I repeat myself.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

We have several long and in-depth threads on the lug nut issue. They are a couple of different solutions and I wanted to point out the Dorman lug nuts are fine but not stainless steel. The Chrysler/ Mitsubishi ones are SS.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:07 PM

I really apologise for opening another thread or post on the same issue or problem. I thought that was closed when I managed to chisel the first one on the front passenger side. That was a hard way to go, so I thought someone might have come up with some new ideas.
I've read most of the postings on wheel nuts but almost all of them talk about lug nuts andnot much on lock nuts. These lock nuts are a pain; I don’t know what the engineer who designed them was thinking.
Anyway, as I said earlier, orthodox method will eventually do the work. Thnks very much for you ideas.

Norri (11-06-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 12:58 PM

Hello hon members,
I have managed to remove that lock nut. I tried to batter onto the lock nut a socket, the socket just split. So I had to go by the orthodox method- chiselling, it took me almost an hour or so to overcome the nut.
Now the problem is that I've damaged the first 3 lines of threads on the stud, the rest threads are fine. I tried to knock it out but it couldn't come out of the hub because of the limited space at the back. Now I’m contemplating of rethreading the stud. Could anyone please advise how I could go about it?
Hon members, I really appreciate you pieces of advice you have been throwing on this thread. Thanks very much.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

It's not to difficult to replace the studs. I replaced the studs on one of my hubs when I accidentally snapped one removing a tire. You can buy replacement Lincoln LS studs that fit fine for the 2003.

Comrade Gibby (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,044 Likes on 1,443 Posts

Dear Comrade Gibby,

Sorry for the late reply, haven't had much down time the last few days due to an urgent family matter. There seems to be a lot of confusion with UK vs. US terminology, the type of hardware, etc. Perhaps I can help and/or horribly muddy the waters.

First off, what kind of locking lug nuts (the US term) are we talking about? You mentioned the outer cover spinning, so I'm confused. There are only two types with which I'm familiar. Both are solid one piece nuts with a round exterior. One type has a specially-shaped recess on the end. A matching "key" fits in this recess and has hex flats for a wrench. The other type has randomly spaced slots around the otherwise smooth outside, and takes a special socket with matching raised ribs on the inside to fit the slots.

With both of these solid types, I think the removal tools mentioned should work. I couldn't see the inside, but if they look like this, you should be good. Hammer them on while applying torque with a breaker bar, and those internal spirals dig in and grab:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000I182FG?pc_redir=1

Heck, you could save the expense and try a huge pair of Vise-Grips. Or get in there with a handheld grinder and carefully grind flats on the round barrel so you can grab it with a regular socket.

However, since you mentioned the outer shell spinning, does that mean you have some other type on there? If so, they may be designed to resist those spiral removal sockets. In that case, I'd definitely try grinding if there's any room, to get down to the solid core so you could then grab it with those sockets, Vise-Grips, etc. If there's no room for a grinder, a small cut-off wheel in a Dremel tool may let you cut away that outer shell.

That may all be moot, however, if you've already removed them and are down to cleaning up the threads or replacing the wheel studs. If dealing with minor damage at the end, get a split die thread chaser:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009VH3EJC

That's a whole set, but I think you can get the individual pieces. The die splits in two so it can be installed below the damaged threads. Place a socket over the two pieces, clamping them together, and unthread the whole shooting match over the damaged threads. They work like magic to repair minor damage.

If you have to replace the studs, whatever you do, don't hammer them out. I searched for removal info, and nearly all the hits showed a mouth-breathing redneck in bib overalls, holding a big hammer. Wheel hubs just aren't designed to take that force. You can easily bend the hubs or spindle, or flat-spot the bearings. It makes me cringe to see guys removing wheel studs with a hammer. A tool like this works wonders, and puts no stress on the hub or bearings:

http://www.tigertool.com/product/106...d-Service-Kit-

That is a purpose-built tool, but a stout C-clamp and a socket on the backside works just as well. I don't remember the details of the Jag front end, but usually there is one spot designed for access to replace a wheel stud without having to remove the hub. Maybe somebody else can chime in.

Comrade Gibby (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sprdav33
It's not to difficult to replace the studs. I replaced the studs on one of my hubs when I accidentally snapped one removing a tire. You can buy replacement Lincoln LS studs that fit fine for the 2003.
Thanks for your advice sir, but I'm just wondering is it possible to remove wheel studs from S Type 2003 without removing the hubs (thus both front & rear)? I've tried both front and rear on my vehicle but to no avail. Some members have said studs can be removed through somewhere near the back plate, thus truth in most vehicles but I don't think it's possible in s type 2003. I've tried several times but it's just impossible. Thanks

Old 11-11-2013, 02:52 PM

Dear members,
Long at last I’ve managed to overcome those lock and lugnuts. Successful (though through hard way) I have changed the front and rear brakepads and fitted new front discs and cleaned rear ones.
I also managed to rethread two studs without much probs. My only problem now is the choice of the locking and lug nutsbecause I need to upgrade sooner than later. No one should ask me why, theaftermath of those two locking nuts drags me to go through that route.

Hon members, which lock and lug nuts can I buy to replacethese original jaguar nuts?
Thanks very much for your help

Last edited by Norri; 11-11-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Ceased Locking Nut on Jag S Type 2003