S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cell Phone/Blue Tooth Option for 03STR

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:43 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cell Phone/Blue Tooth Option for 03STR

I was wondering if anyone can comment on whether or not you are able to upgrade an 03 STR to be able to handle bluetooth. My wife drives the 03 STR while I drive the 06 STR. She loves the way that I'm able to sync my cell phone with my 06 STR. Unfortunately she cannot do the same with her 03 STR. Physically the dash components of both cars look essentially the same so I was wondering if there is some way to upgrade the software in the 03 STR so she can also enjoy hands free. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there, nice to see someone from the neighborhood. I'm in San Jose

Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Yes. But then you'll be envious of her, b/c she'll be streaming audio, 6 or 8 phones can be loaded, and have a choice of 3 aux inputs.....while you are stuck with only the single-phone capability...and unless Jag made a quantum leap in BT module tech between 05 and 06...her outgoing voice will sound a couple of orders of magnitude more clear than yours.

Pretty simple to add a Parrot MKI-9200 or other model to it...unless she has the premium audio system...that may complicate things.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:02 PM

First thing is look for the wires, take out the armrest internal cover and look for a plug, 5 wires and it's hard wire phone, 8 wires and your good to go to the boot, look for a AMP's plug, long and grey, up around the sounds system if it has this then you will need the rear phone module.
If it has 5 wires you will need to add 3 extra wires but doable and a front Dongle for the bluetooth, all available, it doe's require moving pins in the sockets and the rear plug but easy enough with the wiring diagram.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by MirEgal
I was wondering if anyone can comment on whether or not you are able to upgrade an 03 STR to be able to handle bluetooth. My wife drives the 03 STR while I drive the 06 STR. She loves the way that I'm able to sync my cell phone with my 06 STR. Unfortunately she cannot do the same with her 03 STR. Physically the dash components of both cars look essentially the same so I was wondering if there is some way to upgrade the software in the 03 STR so she can also enjoy hands free. Thanks.
To make it simple.... If she doesn't have a hands free phone attached, the same bluetooth as your 06 will cost around $1,000.... You will need a phone module and a bluetooth module along with the microphone and all...

The reason her car has the phone buttons is because they made one radio whether or not the car had the phone.

So, go either with a aftermarket radio, the parrot set up that was mentioned, or my cheap way... a visor mounted speaker phone.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:35 AM

Jeff, Thanks for the response. For you and definately for me the "cheap way" would be the solution, however, cheap doesn't necessairly mean simple especially with my wife who is very techno adverse. Unfortunately she has also seen how simple mine is so it will be very hard to steer her in another direction. She likes the way my phone automatically pairs with my STR when I get in w/o any additional "hassels".

Originally Posted by JOsworth
To make it simple.... If she doesn't have a hands free phone attached, the same bluetooth as your 06 will cost around $1,000.... You will need a phone module and a bluetooth module along with the microphone and all...

The reason her car has the phone buttons is because they made one radio whether or not the car had the phone.

So, go either with a aftermarket radio, the parrot set up that was mentioned, or my cheap way... a visor mounted speaker phone.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:39 AM

Zenman63, thanks for the information. Some additional questions. Are the phone module and bluetooth items available new or do i need to look for used parts? Where do I get the "wiring diagram" you referred to? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Zenman63
First thing is look for the wires, take out the armrest internal cover and look for a plug, 5 wires and it's hard wire phone, 8 wires and your good to go to the boot, look for a AMP's plug, long and grey, up around the sounds system if it has this then you will need the rear phone module.
If it has 5 wires you will need to add 3 extra wires but doable and a front Dongle for the bluetooth, all available, it doe's require moving pins in the sockets and the rear plug but easy enough with the wiring diagram.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Parrot solution would be a lot cheaper / easier install and pairs up / downloads phone book about 3 orders of magnitude easier than the OEM module. Might want to inquire whether she wants to access audio content from her phone or other aux audio? But true...the button on the head unit with the Phone pic on it would not be the way she accesses the system...if that functionality is important..you are stuck with the 4-figure OEM solution.....Good luck...you may want to take a stab in the "Audio/Visual Electronics" thread and see if there are some creative solutions....

Old 03-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by MirEgal
Zenman63, thanks for the information. Some additional questions. Are the phone module and bluetooth items available new or do i need to look for used parts? Where do I get the "wiring diagram" you referred to? Thanks.
I think it might even be cheaper and certainly easier to just trade the 2003 for one with everything in-place.

I looked into the Parrot solution several months back and there a re a number of threads out there for this. You might want to have a high-end car audio shop that's already done one do the install. The interface with the upgraded stereo in this car that uses the fiber-optic cable is a PITA. Parrot-USA claims they have no harness for the car that will integrate their units totally with the car's built in buttons. Their UK based website is a bit more ambiguous about this but I couldn't get them to speak with me. Parrot-USA was worthless on the phone. Lots of NO!

There was a Parrot system in my car that was removed before I took possession. It used the native mute function of the stock stereo and added another set of speaker wires so that it drives the speaks directly. That's a typical Parrot installation method. Not exactly an integrated approach though. I guess it worked well enough for the PO though.

If you want to get better audio integration as well then it gets a bit more complicated. Assuming that you have the higher end stereo with the NAV system then the only known audio interface is the one Jaguar offers (approx $300). The one Parrot offers just bypasses the stereo with direct speaker wires. The Jag version which I have just offers audio integration with an IPOD but no Album/Artist/track information is displayed either on the car stereo or on the IPOD. You're playing everything blind.

So I'm still looking at using an "MP3" player with a true high quality line-out connection that can plug directly into the optional Jaguar Audio module. That way I can user the player to control and display everything. I can also play any recorded format such as high quality compressed FLAC, WMA-lossless. The Jag audio module does support WAV format either from the Ipod or the USB input but absolutely no information display is available. I don't understand why the IPOD display/control goes dead when it's connected but here is a mix/randomizer function at least.

BTW, I think you might be able to connect a Parrot's audio system via it's line-out to the Jag audio modules line-in. It looks technically feasible. Operationally selecting that might involve a bit of hoop jumping though? Then all the control is via the Parrot interface. The Parrot plays only very limited audio codecs. I think WAV may be one of them but I'm not sure. That's a lot more storage than WMA-lossless.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:52 PM

Theres a guy on here with all you need for sale, or was I should say
Look on UK ebay as well.
Do you have the Nav?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jaguar-X100-XK...#ht_4815wt_907

You need this and a mic and front dongle

Last edited by Zenman63; 03-15-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenman63
Theres a guy on here with all you need for sale, or was I should say
Look on UK ebay as well.
Do you have the Nav?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jaguar-X100-XK...#ht_4815wt_907

You need this and a mic and front dongle
Only one problem with that.... Not compatible in the US.. Phone systems are different..

Again to the original poster... If you want the phone system, you will need a complete phone kit from Jaguar... The components are plug and play, but it has also been discussed here before... Major $$$

My speaker phone works just fine.. All I have to do is turn it on and off... It is a Motorola unit and it works great.. Also have a Blueant devise that the wife now uses. The major inconvenience with them is the lack of display.. But my phone has voice commands and caller id announce so it isn't that big of a deal to me.

Here is the install for the North America phone system.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jaguar_Phone_Install.pdf (935.2 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by JOsworth; 03-15-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I think it might even be cheaper and certainly easier to just trade the 2003 for one with everything in-place.
LOL Bob! That explains the 23 yr old wife...still wondering about the matching girlfriends, though! Based on personal experience with my fleet..I'd trade the newer one with the OEM Jag solution for an 03 without the amplified audio system. (You'd get a better looking car as a bonus!)

My phone is my audio entertainment as well as my Nav. In addition to the OEM module in the 05 and MKI9200 in the 03, I use a cassette with cord in both trucks and the X300 and a Clarion CZ509 BT head unit in the Merc. (cassette player crapped the load and it was my daily-driver at the time)
THe OEM module in the 05 S is far and away the most suckish and idiotic of all those solutions. The Cz509 cost $150, the Parrot $270 incl jumper harness, and the cassette adapters $9.99 ea. Given its functionality and ease-of-use I'd be willing to pay about $39 to fit the oem module to the 05 if it didn't already have it. (yeah, I'd have one of Jeff's Moto-modules instead, I guess)

I looked into the Parrot solution several months back ............. interface with the upgraded stereo in this car that uses the fiber-optic cable is a PITA. Parrot-USA claims they have no harness for the car that will integrate their units totally with the car's built in buttons. ....
I haven't seen a wiring jumper solution for cars with the amplified audio unit (aka Premium Sound?) but fortunately, my daughter's ride didn't have one.

There was a Parrot system in my car that was removed before I took possession. It used the native mute function of the stock stereo and added another set of speaker wires so that it drives the speaks directly. That's a typical Parrot installation method. Not exactly an integrated approach though. I guess it worked well enough for the PO though.
I guess it works this way schematically, but I'm not sure "non-integrated" is an accurate description. The Parrot module has an amplifier and drives the speakers of its own accord, no spkr wires need be added physically.
Sound quality is better than that coming from the head unit during CD playback, IMO...but my ears are tempered by >2,500 hrs flying helo's....
It will play your phone's audio output with radio turned off, in addition to muting radio if it is on and you place or receive a call. Non-integrated in that you hit a button on the parrot remote to place/rec calls rather than the Phone button on the dash or wheel. I think there may be a steering wheel control harness you can option but I was at my cost-limit already "just to add iPod functionality" to my daughter's car....the phone bit was a pleasant bonus.

BTW, I think you might be able to connect a Parrot's audio system via it's line-out to the Jag audio modules line-in. It looks technically feasible. Operationally selecting that might involve a bit of hoop jumping though?
I think there's a thread somewhere on this idea. If this way, I think you either have to keep aux audio selected at all times (would work for me since I'm normally listening to phone content) or switch to it when you want to use the phone.

Good luck in whatever solution you settle on, be sure and update us on the experience when you take a decision.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Given that the question was "how can we make the one car act like the other?", Jeff's answer is the correct one. All the messages about a Parrott module and the other solutions, don't answer the original question.

I have a Parrott in my Expedition and the factory Bluetooth in the Jaguar. The latter is more convenient and the sound is better. Further, the commands for the two are subtly different enough that from time to time even I get confused. My wfe wouldn't dream of using her BT in the Expedition for just that reason....confusion while driving.

As to how to get it on the cheap, other than Ebay, you may not be able to find one. Junk yards...maybe. The phone module may well survive a major crash. There are a couple of yards that sort of specialize in Jag parts. One is in the Atlanta area but I don't recall the details.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Honestly, both methods sound not terribly simple to me. With the now ancient Jag system you do have the potential of your newer cell phone not synchronizing up correctly.

But first I think we need to learn what the original poster has for a sound system in his car. I do like the idea of having the same system in both cars too. You could go either way with that.

Are there likely to be any required wiring harness missing in the 2003 car?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aholbro1
I guess it works this way schematically, but I'm not sure "non-integrated" is an accurate description. The Parrot module has an amplifier and drives the speakers of its own accord, no spkr wires need be added physically.
Sound quality is better than that coming from the head unit during CD playback, IMO...but my ears are tempered by >2,500 hrs flying helo's....
It will play your phone's audio output with radio turned off, in addition to muting radio if it is on and you place or receive a call. Non-integrated in that you hit a button on the parrot remote to place/rec calls rather than the Phone button on the dash or wheel. I think there may be a steering wheel control harness you can option but I was at my cost-limit already "just to add iPod functionality" to my daughter's car....the phone bit was a pleasant bonus.
There supposedly is one for those cars with the low end stereo like yours but Parrot says no for the fiber-optic based one. Without that ability the only integration is the mute when a call comes in.

And yes you do indeed have to run the Parrots amp wiring to the speakers. It's just a matter of where you tap in. You are in fact bypassing the cars amp. I wouldn't do that on my car because the amp is halfway decent. Good enough for me anyway. The speakers aren't but that's another matter.

BTW, the 23 year old wife suddenly became 53 ... I was hoping for a 23 + 30 split combo but that didn't work out.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Just thought I'd toss in my thoughts here. If you want to have a system that uses all the factory buttons, the only option is the Jag one. Is it easy to retrofit, yes. Is it expensive, no if you search ebay and are patient. Is it the best system, no.

It cost me about $150 to get the bluetooth module and the phone module from ebay. I ended up getting the mic from my dealer since I got impatient waiting for one to pop up on ebay and that cost about $70. Took about 10 min to install and paired my phone up no problem! I have heard about phones not wanting to pair, but I have never had that issue with mine and that is with a few new phones I tried. I went with the retrofit because I just like all the buttons that came with the car to work and everything to be nicely integrated. My only warning if you go this way is make sure you get the proper phone module. It has to say 4US in the bottom corner and have 19K350 in the part number and be software level AC or higher. That one linked in the ebay auction has all the right stuff except it says 8US in the bottom corner, don't know if that would work or not! Oh ya, and you have to be prewired. The only way to tell is to take the trunk lining out and look, same with under the center console. My guess is you are since my 03 STR was and I have an early 2003 VIN number.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

That's very reasonably priced! I've had my center console out but I don't know what I should be looking for in terms of a pre-wire? Do you have any photos?

I have the NAV and I can pull the trunk lining back pretty easily to check. Any photos of that too?

So your car was pre-wired for the mike too?

I think a Jag dealer can check the build sheet to check for pre-wire no?????

Bob

Old 03-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

I think WinterJag posted details with photos ages ago. Have a Search of his posts.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Well, I didn't have any pics unfortunately. But it's pretty easy to tell if you are prewired since as far as I know, if the connector is in the trunk, all the others are there too, including the mic. Don't bother with the dealer, or Jaguar themselves for that matter, to see if you are prewired. They don't have a clue. I was told it was not possible to retrofit my car since it was pre-VIN cutoff for prewire and I shouldn't bother trying. But, it was all there when I looked. It can be done really cheap if you aren't in a rush to get it done. just keep an eye on ebay and things will pop up at good prices. And if you are looking for the connector in the truck, it will be behind the stack and tied up to the main harness somewhere up there.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Oh, sorry, I thought you'd done pics. Someone did, may be on www.jaguarforum.co.uk (not sure they're particularly detailed, but I think various connectors at least are shown).

Quick Reply: Cell Phone/Blue Tooth Option for 03STR