S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central Locking

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Central Locking

Haven't found looking on here my problem with the central locking. Whenever I use the fob or interior lock button all I get is the sound from all the doors but none will lock or unlock. Can manually lock each door separately or unlock driver's with key. So of course it is a hassle to lock my doors now, so I don't. I need to fix this, but what is the part that needs replacing and I would try it. Have no idea how to troubleshoot this electric lock system compared to the easy of my Mercedes vacuum systems. Help, please.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:28 AM
Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

Please let us know the year or even better the partial vin number of your S-type.

This could be that an unlock switch has failed in the on position. But more info is needed to help you.

Mellow

Old 11-02-2021, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by M-e-l-l-o-w
Please let us know the year or even better the partial vin number of your S-type.

This could be that an unlock switch has failed in the on position. But more info is needed to help you.

Mellow
2006 Jaguar S-Type. VIN SAJW01A06FN55956.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Are you sure.you are not hearing the locks lock then unlocking almost instantly? I do not recall your problem before but known issues are that a lock actuator fails. There are many threads about that.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:31 AM

No, they are not moving at all.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,078 Likes on 1,468 Posts

When you first start the car and drive away, do the doors automatically lock then? This was an option enabled or disabled by the dealer, but I believe enabled was the default. It would be pretty rare to find a car with this automatic function disabled, unless a previous owner requested it. On my '02, once I reach about 5MPH, the locks all activate.

If the door locks kick in normally when you drive away, that should give us an idea if the locks are capable of responding to a single command.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:59 AM

Same issue, all the doors do make the noise at about 5mph, but they don't lock.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:48 AM

This is a strange fault!
Just to be clear if all the doors are unlocked and you then drive at over 5mph the locks make a noise but none of the doors lock?

Plrease note that using the handle on the inside will unlock the door so when testing the auto locking you will need an assistant to test this from the outside as pulling the handle inside the car will just unlock the door.
The locking does not alow you to lock people inside the car!

Did the car always do this, is it somthing new or is the car new to you?

By the way you have missed out the 5th digit on your VIN number. It should have 17 digits.
You have a USA spec. 06 model year (made in 2005) 3.0L petrol.
(The 5th digit will tell us if it is an auto or manual stick, my guess would be it is a 'A' so a LHS auto, but it could be a 'B' LHS manual.)

Mellow

Old 11-03-2021, 11:48 AM

"Just to be clear if all the doors are unlocked and you then drive at over 5mph the locks make a noise but none of the doors lock?" Correct!
"Did the car always do this, is it something new or is the car new to you?" Yes, bought the car about 3 months ago and had problem when I bought it.

Old 11-03-2021, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

This is a strange fault!
+1 on that!

Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if one of the lock actuators is drawing too much current. If so, perhaps the control module is programmed to quickly remove power to all locks instead of continuing to try. Maybe that’s the brief noise you’re hearing.

Do you see any difference in behavior or noise between the four locks? I’d try unplugging the oddball and see if the other three now behave properly.

Old 11-03-2021, 06:15 PM

The noise lasts for about 3 seconds at least. Had driver's panel off, but couldn't figure out how to unplug the actuator, lol.

Old 11-04-2021, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Johnnyw
The noise lasts for about 3 seconds at least.
That sounds like it is is way too long! The noise should last about a second.
I do wonder if this is an aftermarket modification of some type?
Perhaps an aftermarket alarm system?
Mellow

Last edited by M-e-l-l-o-w; 11-04-2021 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

couldn't figure out how to unplug the actuator, lol...
Take a look at this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-65657/

It shows a LOT more details than you may need at the moment. The thread shows how to remove, repair, reinstall, remove a second time, and finally replace the door lock actuator. For now, you're only concerned with unplugging the actuator, so you can skip much of the details.

The connector uses Ford’s infamous sliding red lock, which has to be released first. You'll be working by Braille, so here’s a quick video explaining the process:

Meanwhile, I gets to thinking. No charge, so don't be worried about getting a bill. You mentioned you hear the actuators running at all 4 doors. Here we are trying to figure out some common failure mode that would cause 4 good actuators to misbehave. What if you had 4 bad actuators? Could be the previous owner didn't care, and did not nothing as each one eventually failed. Read through that thread above, and you will see how the actuator has a plastic gear prone to breakage. Maybe do a recon mission on one actuator, and see if the gear is indeed broken. I don't know if it can be inspected in situ using a small mirror, or if it has to be removed.

I mention the possibility of 4 bad actuators as a coworker recently went into a panic when both headlights failed on his car. He is a top-notch troubleshooter, and was trying to figure out some common path affecting both sides. His car had a fairly complicated system, with separate control modules for each side, a data bus, relays, etc. I think there was even some rope and pulleys. He was looking at possibly several hundred dollars' worth of parts. After much headscratching, I asked him when was the last time he confirmed both headlights had been working. Turns out one bulb had failed previously and he never noticed it until the second bulb failed and left him in the dark. The moral of this tender heartwarming story?: Two things, actually - I was right, and don't overlook the simple possibilities.

The following 2 users liked this post by kr98664:
Johnnyw (11-04-2021), joycesjag (11-04-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by kr98664
Take a look at this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-65657/

It shows a LOT more details than you may need at the moment. The thread shows how to remove, repair, reinstall, remove a second time, and finally replace the door lock actuator. For now, you're only concerned with unplugging the actuator, so you can skip much of the details.

The connector uses Ford’s infamous sliding red lock, which has to be released first. You'll be working by Braille, so here’s a quick video explaining the process:

https://youtu.be/Y-AJ41jA0U4

Meanwhile, I gets to thinking. No charge, so don't be worried about getting a bill. You mentioned you hear the actuators running at all 4 doors. Here we are trying to figure out some common failure mode that would cause 4 good actuators to misbehave. What if you had 4 bad actuators? Could be the previous owner didn't care, and did not nothing as each one eventually failed. Read through that thread above, and you will see how the actuator has a plastic gear prone to breakage. Maybe do a recon mission on one actuator, and see if the gear is indeed broken. I don't know if it can be inspected in situ using a small mirror, or if it has to be removed.

I mention the possibility of 4 bad actuators as a coworker recently went into a panic when both headlights failed on his car. He is a top-notch troubleshooter, and was trying to figure out some common path affecting both sides. His car had a fairly complicated system, with separate control modules for each side, a data bus, relays, etc. I think there was even some rope and pulleys. He was looking at possibly several hundred dollars' worth of parts. After much headscratching, I asked him when was the last time he confirmed both headlights had been working. Turns out one bulb had failed previously and he never noticed it until the second bulb failed and left him in the dark. The moral of this tender heartwarming story?: Two things, actually - I was right, and don't overlook the simple possibilities.
If he disconnected the power to any of the actuators, would he get some sort of bizarre warning or code from the security system and can they be "unplugged" without affecting anything else in the door, such as windows, side view mirror?

I turned off my automatic locking as I have the SDD and just did not like that auto lock.

Tom in Dallas

Old 11-04-2021, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

Haven't found looking on here my problem with the central locking. Whenever I use the fob or interior lock button all I get is the sound from all the doors but none will lock or unlock. Can manually lock each door separately or unlock driver's with key. So of course it is a hassle to lock my doors now, so I don't. I need to fix this, but what is the part that needs replacing and I would try it. Have no idea how to troubleshoot this electric lock system compared to the easy of my Mercedes vacuum systems. Help, please.
Based on what he is saying - one or more of his actuators have lost their plastic tip. The control ones are the front 2 doors. Either side will lock all the other doors. I would just get in the car, shut the door and try manually locking first one side and then the other if it refuses to do so, then that or both front actuators probably need to be replaced.

TBB

The following 2 users liked this post by jazzwineman:
joycesjag (11-04-2021), kr98664 (11-04-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

That sounds like it is is way too long! The noise should last about a second.
I do wonder if this is an aftermarket modification of some type?
Perhaps an aftermarket alarm system?
Mellow
I currently have one actuator on the passenger door that lost it's plastic tip. I have learned to work around that. However if I get in the car and the passenger lock is open and then try to shut all the locks by the console control or locking the drivers side door, the system would continue to open and close all the working locks until I manually put an end to it. So it could very well last longer than 1 second. In my case it would go on for an hour if I let it.

TBB

Old 11-05-2021, 09:08 AM

Only thing is, all of mine are making the noise, but not moving at all, lol.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Only thing is, all of mine are making the noise, but not moving at all, lol.
You have 4 broken actuators. My back ones went first, but I had an extended warranty to have those fixed. It is a cheap form of engineering as Rick of Joycesjag can attest to.

TBB.

The following users liked this post:
joycesjag (11-06-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I guess at this point if it were my vehicle, I would pull a door panel off and either 1) look for the 1/2" metal stud in the bottom of the door or 2) hold the actuator and press the lock/unlock buttons. In my little world that should be a tell all.

The following 2 users liked this post by joycesjag:
jazzwineman (11-06-2021), S-Type Owner (12-08-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jazzwineman
You have 4 broken actuators...
I wonder if there is some control logic causing the lock actuators to continue running until at least one provides feedback that the locked position has been reached. If none reach the locked position, perhaps the lock command will time out after X number of seconds. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Central Locking