S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changed my zf6 g/box oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:16 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile changed my zf6 g/box oil

Thought I would post this in case any one was wondering about changing their oil and was not sure how difficult a job it was. (Millers oils = UK based)

I changed my fluid recently on a June 2004 3-0. (Reason - I have the lurch and wanted fluid all good before getting software update) The fluid was dark grey and not very nice looking but no particles or magnetic bits so the internals were okay. the car had done around 85k. some light towing and quite a lot of motorway/suburban use. I used the flush and fill method and it took 20 ltrs (about £90 delivered from Millers Oils)
Had the car set up on DIY ramp (HD building blocks and scaffold boards) so it was level and secure - Drained fluid out via drain plug.
When no more came out, this was when I planned to take off my pan, Then found the pan/filter supplied was wrong type !! Needed car Monday (this was Saturday afternoon )so do I put back old fluid or carry on?
I carried on, Used garden sprayer with the nozzle removed to inject fluid until it started to overflow out of fill/level plug then started engine and carried on injecting until it was full - Replaced plug - Let engine run for ten minutes moving gear selector through all gears. Turn of engine and drain again. Repeated this until fluid being drained was totally clean. Then left engine and g/box to cool overnight ( I was knackered and the wife was waving a bottle of wine at me - no contest ) Next morning final fill with engine running and temperature probe in fill point. got fluid temp to about 40c with fluid just overflowing with a small stream - and put back fill plug. Test run car around streets and then down the motorway. Shifts are smoother the lurch is still there but not so bad. With these results - will I repeat the above in order to change the filter? - probably not !
I ended up with about 2 ltrs of new fluid unused, Overall the job was not difficult -other than getting the final fill done with the temperature correct, if you miss this it is important to cool down and start again as the temp/expansion of oil sets the level.
Ended up with an aching back with all the diving back and forth under the car - but then I'm not 21 anymore
ray208
Ranking: Newbie

Car Model: S Type 3/0 SE. Black - mid 2004
Donated: I am in the process of donating

Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Good Job Ray, reading these posts make it seem like not-so-daunting of a task. So, you not going to get back in and do the filter? If you do it soon, just reuse the old fluid, maybe?

BTW, you're no longer a newbie

Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Good luck with the new fluid - hope it eventually helps to clear your lurch issue....

Keep us posted on your ZF experiences during the months ahead....

Old 08-14-2010, 05:08 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

After 85K (one assumes miles here) your quote "Shifts are smoother the lurch is still there but not so bad", makes the lie about these autoboxes being "sealed for life" plainly and crudely obvious.
Leedsman.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

As a ZF vice president in Chicago explained it to me during a phone conversation I had with him this past March, ZF interprets "sealed for life" to mean 100,000 miles. My response was, "Then why not change the the literature to read that the fluid should be changed at 100,000 miles? It is currently very misleading." He agreed. Whether ZF will actually revise the wording in future documentation is doubtful. "Sealed for life" is an effective marketing gimmick to deploy on the majority of potential customers that don't realize or care that all lubricating fluids eventually break down over time and distance....

Old 08-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Ragin,

Just as a point of info, after I changed transmission fluid (Mobile 1 synthetic ATF) exactly as you did, the lurch was improved but still there. However, after a few days the lurch went went away alltogether and has remained absent for 2 months now. Hope you get the same results. KBO mate.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:02 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes indeed Tarhealcracker,I had the same experience when I had my ATF fluid changed; there was an immediate improvement, but then a further improvement as time and miles wore on. Mine has done 121,000mile and is fine with the slight exception of a little clutchpack judder with hard acceleration or steep hill in 3rd, only at full temperature. So this week coming, I'm trying some american product by "Lucas" (not the british one) called "Transmission Fix -- Stops Slip" which cost me £10, say $15 for abt. 3/4litre or 24oz. I shall report my findings here!
As regards the 'marketing ploy' of ZF/Jaguar/BMW/ et al., by quoting IN PRINT and actually in the handbook that these autoboxes are "sealed for life", I just can't help thinking, "quel stupide"! All the world-wide furore about this, including the genesis of a website called "thelurch.com" must have done UNTOLD DAMAGE to ZF's reputation. It's going to take years and years and years to live down this massive policy error.
Of course, we all know, don't we, that if engineers had been allowed to make engineering policy, and not un-qualified salesmen, this faux-pas would never have happened.
Leedsman.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi All
Few weeks down the line and about 1500 miles, no change with the ''lurch factor'' the improvement first experienced after the oil change has not improved any more - but more important - has not got worst, so I'm still looking to find a decent garage to do my software update. Cheers all !