S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing out dome lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default changing out dome lights

I got a stash of LED's and want to swap them into my dome lights. I do not know how to even get to the bulb in the dome lights. I want to change out all of them, but the plastic cover is in the way, any help?

Old 11-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: changing out dome lights

Get a slim and small screwdriver, preferably one for eye glasses, and look at where the tabs are on the plastic cover, and stick the screwdriver in there and pry it out. It's not that difficult.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have to add any resistors for the led?

Old 11-26-2007, 09:46 PM

should I fear breaking the plastic cover while wedging the screwdriver?

Old 12-04-2007, 05:39 PM

bigdream05- are you refering to the license lights, because those do have tabs. the interior dome lights that I am refering to are on the cieling of the car's interior. Above both back doors and just obove the windshield between the driver and passenger seats. I cannot figure out how to reach these bulbs, I have the right replacement LED's but I need to get to the bulb to swap them. any help?

Old 12-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

There are dull spots along the edges of the covers where you should stick the slim(whatever you use) in there to pry it out. Don't be afraid to break it, since it isn't that expensive at the dealer. My car's at the body shop, and I should get it back soon, but if you fear breaking the covers, wait a couple of weeks for me to get my car back and I'll take detailed pictures and maybe even a video.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:47 PM

Thanks, I managed to get the covers off and the bulbs. Now I have another conflict. It is hard to put in the bulbs. there is not much clearance and I am not having any luck, any simpler way?

Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

You got me there. You'll have to wait until I get my car back for help from me, unless one of our other fabulous members know how to do it.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:23 PM

Sorry, I havent got the pics up yet. I will try to get them up today. But I am having trouble with the dome light above the center console. I dont know how to remove the housing. I got the LED's for those lights but dont know how to get to them, anything can help.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

Assuming you have an S-type, well it doesn't matter they all come off same way unless it is a J.
If it has glasses holder, open it up and see if there is a clip in there. Some do some dont.
Next kung fu grip that bad boy and yank straight down. That is how you get access.
Just be prepared, they can be a real pain to get back up there.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:34 AM

ORIGINAL: FactoryJaguarTech

Assuming you have an S-type, well it doesn't matter they all come off same way unless it is a J.
If it has glasses holder, open it up and see if there is a clip in there. Some do some dont.
Next kung fu grip that bad boy and yank straight down. That is how you get access.
Just be prepared, they can be a real pain to get back up there.

Ditto, I managed to get a lillte space in betweenthere and I just started pulling and pulling gently untill it opened up. If you look at my picture, once you remove the entire unit, you can disconnetthe mainthe wires allowing you more room. I didn't have a problem changing out the blown bulb. For some reason if you are still having problem accessing the bulbs, you could try needle nose plyers?

The problem started when I put everything back to gether and none of the lights would turn on, not the lights on the doors, or the lights on the over head console, and the lights in the back over head seats? Eveything is lined and nada? Any advice or suggesstions FactoryJaguarTech?Thanks

Name:  Picture063-1.jpg
Views: 2864
Size:  41.3 KB

Old 01-17-2008, 04:52 AM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

f everything work before hand, I wouldpull overhead back out and make sure you didn't pinch a
wire and that all is def plugged back in. Then try to reseat it.
if still doesnt work check fuses. If u need assistance locating the fuses,
repost.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:47 AM

The only fuses I've not check are the ones located inside the car. I already checked the ones in the trunk and the engine bay.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:06 PM

I'm having the same problem... remove the over head console. Did you find out what the problem with the lights not turning on???

Old 12-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by gastonstr
I'm having the same problem... remove the over head console. Did you find out what the problem with the lights not turning on???

Sorry it was such a long time ago that I had this problem that I already forgot how I fixed it?
I do remember redirecting the passengers courtesy lights. Which, now, I replaced with leds that look like mini hids..

I also check every fuse in the freaking car & everything is fine. I ended up taking the car to the dealer as I could reinstall the overhead console without breaking those little metal prongs.
Did you have any luck with the re-installation of the overhead console? My guess would be that you didn't not properly align those metal prongs into its place. Its really had getting those sucks back in there. I had four people try with no luck. I wonder how the techs do it?? Hmmm

Old 12-12-2009, 05:18 PM

I didn't take it down yet... The problem that I'm having is the lights don't go on now. Well the map lights, When I push in the center dome light the rears go on not the fronts. I know it's weird?? Maybe I disconnected something?? I'll see what happens when I pull the whole thing down. Have you changed the reverse lights to LEDs? If not you should... They look really good. I can post a pic.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gastonstr
I didn't take it down yet... The problem that I'm having is the lights don't go on now. Well the map lights, When I push in the center dome light the rears go on not the fronts. I know it's weird?? Maybe I disconnected something?? I'll see what happens when I pull the whole thing down. Have you changed the reverse lights to LEDs? If not you should... They look really good. I can post a pic.
gastonstr, sometimes if you plug LEDs on the wrong side they won't light, have you tried to flip it to the other side and see if it gives you life? Another thing is check the connector clips inside the housing, sometimes you bend it out of position and the metal connectors can't make contact. I learned this after an hour of checking fuses that all I had to do was flip the LED on the other side.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXType620
gastonstr, sometimes if you plug LEDs on the wrong side they won't light, have you tried to flip it to the other side and see if it gives you life? Another thing is check the connector clips inside the housing, sometimes you bend it out of position and the metal connectors can't make contact. I learned this after an hour of checking fuses that all I had to do was flip the LED on the other side.
Wow! Thanks for this insight! I had the exact same problem when I went to put my console back in place. I couldn't get the map lights to work no matter which direction I installed the bulbs. As it turns out, the connectors that hold the bulb bend VERY easily, and would bend away from the bulb connector because I was pushing the bulb in too far. The connectors would just simply bend open wider and miss the bulb connector.

I ended up using a pair of bent-nose surgeons forceps like the one below from Radio Shack (Model: 64-065 | Catalog #: 64-065). I used them to hold the socket connectors in place and keep them from bending out when the bulb as inserted. That did the trick!

I must say, for such a simple mod, this was really a pia... on the flip side, it looks great!

Name:  curvedforceps.jpg
Views: 2278
Size:  2.5 KB

Old 02-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,712 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I used to own something like those back in the day.......but I did not use them to change light bulbs!!

Quick Reply: changing out dome lights