S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing out single CD for navigation ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Changing out single CD for navigation ?

Hello all Has anyone ever tried to change out one audio system for another, e.g., I have the single-CD unit, with no changer, for adding a changer, or possibly a complete swap for changer + navigation combination? I have seen pull units on LKQ's site for the navigation, but I doubt they are complete with the trunk-mounted DVD drive needed; does anyone have any experience or comments on this ?

Cheers, and happy motoring!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:34 AM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Let's tackle this one step at a time.

Adding a CD changer

Yes can be done, quite easily if you already have other accessories fitted into the cars D2B network (a fiber optic network that runs the audio in our cars) for example if you have a factory fit telephone or voice control. But since your car doesn't have Nav i'm guessing not. Now it doesn't make that much difference, and yours being a 2005 model maybe you would be lucky and the system automatically detects new modules on the network. If not you would have to go to a dealer & have the network activated. Hardware needed is the CD changer, maybe a mounting bracket, and a D2B fiber optic cable to plug it in.

Adding the Navigation/Touchscreen

This is a much bigger job, but it can be done. And has been done to dozens & dozens of cars. Mostly X-Types, but also a few S-Types & XJ's.

You need to collect the pieces; Touchscreen (for S-Type), Radio/CD, Remote Climate Control Module, DVD Navigation drive (better to get one from an S-Type, X-Type & XJ ones work too) and a GPS aerial, oh and the D2B fiber optic cables.

The last step is the wiring. There is a chap in the UK who makes a custom "retrofit" wiring harness to install Nav in a non-Nav car. This works a bit better than stripping the harness out of a Nav car & trying to retrofit it, since you need to add a couple of missing wires, it's a little complicated, but has also been done.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:32 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I figured there would be some significant work to it, Cambo. I have read several posts and articles about the D2B network cabling, and the fun times that ensue when just trying to add Bluetooth.

I have an aftermarket Pioneer AVH-P2400BT, with navigation module, that I had originally bought for my RX7, but it begs the question, would it be a terribly involved procedure to fit it in the S-Type, or will there be some other sort of unforeseen tomfoolery involving amplifiers, etc ?

Old 10-10-2012, 05:40 AM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't bother retrofitting the touchscreen, unless you really prefer the look of it. Value for money will be an aftermarket system, a double-din touchscreen, that will give you everything; CD, iPod, USB, video, nav, bluetooth phone, etc...but it never looks as good as the factory touchscreen....

You could easily do $2K on retrofitting all the factory gear (Nav + Phone) not including the Premium Sound. For that sort of money you could go completely aftermarket.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the single din CD player with a multi changer in the trunk. I installed a double din touch screen Pioneer in my S-type. It works good but the steering wheel controls seem to cut in and out some times. I did loose the use of my 6 disk but that was because my head unit didn't accept it.

If I could do it different, I would and probably will get a newer head unit that will accept my 6 disk. I would also solder in the module that is added to the steering wheel controls to get them to work (I used snap connectors and I think they are just coming loose) I also would consider the built in nav. with XM radio. For now I just use my phone and run it through the blue tooth. It works well and saved me an extra $300.

All in all if you get an aftermarket system you can get all the bells and whistles just make sure you have someone that knows what they are doing install it.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cambo351,

I have an 04' s-type base v6 and also want to fit the nav system into a non-nav car. Do you happen to have the person's contact info that makes the wire harness for the nav conversion?

Old 10-13-2012, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

See your other thread about this.