Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing a Spare

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing a Spare

Hey guys and gals,

I've been scouring google and forums here for hours now and not having any luck; perhaps you folks can help me out. I've got an 05 S-type (American:left side driver... if it makes a difference) that I'm trying to get my continental spare tire switched in for a punctured front wheel driver side tire.

Trouble I'm running into is getting the spare tire out of the trunk's spare tire wheel well. I'm not well versed in changing tires so perhaps it's super simple in which case I apologize for the asinine inquiry.

There's a round circular plate covering the middle of the spare tire, holding it in place (a retainer plate?) and jutting vertically from the plate is a bar that becomes a 'T' that is easily gripped I suppose for turning or pulling. So it's not a simple wingnut fixture I can spin and pop off. The T-bar/plate can't be pulled up nor turned it seems. At least not without any equipment. My hand is raw from trying to turn or even budge the thing, even with the help of mechanix gloves and I don't want to damage anything.

Any help on getting this spare tire out? Is there a way to remove that retaining plate? Is it pulled up? Is it turned? Maybe it's just super stuck and I just need to find some leverage in turning the T-bar? This might be a silly question (I know Jaguars are a foreign make)... is it a European thing to turn clockwise to loosen things and maybe I've been tightening the thing this entire time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 02-20-2015, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,712 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Some gorilla must have really cranked down on the "T" bar that you are describing. I just went out to my wifes 2005 S Type and turned the "T" lefty lucy and it unscrewed without a problem.

Hope this helps you figure it out.

The following users liked this post:
Thewriter (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 08:59 PM
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

I had to spray my t handle through the holes in the spare wheel rim with a penetrating oil such as Aerokroil. I still had to get a wrench and work it loose.

It was rusted pretty bad.

Also before re installing it, I used a nickel anti seize aka Never Seez on the threads so it will be easier to remove in the future.

If you have the stock wheel nuts ( aka lug nuts), it is highly advised to discard them and buy new ones that are one piece.

Also, you should buy a 1/2" breaker bar and a 19 mm socket ( for stock size lug nuts) to use roadside to remove the lug nuts. It will fit better than the stock wheelnut wrench and will give you better leverage.