Sponsored by:

Check engine light- parkbrake failure, dsc fault, gearbox fault... and more

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Pretty rare.

Have you taken note of the TSB on this?

A recall is a very different thing for all makes of car, basically safety-related. Sorry you won't want to hear that but hey.
Safety related? How about going from 65 to ~10mph on the Freeway when the car suddenly goes into limp mode?

Also, not so rare. Someone in my office had the same TB issue a few months ago. Maybe it is an incorrectly "diagnosed" profit center for the local dealer, but there is enough mention of the problem in this forum to show there is a TB issue. Now lets factor in the S-Type Jag owners who don't read/post....

Last edited by GonzoJag; 02-27-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,948 Posts

Whatever. You totally ignored the TSB or what?

Last edited by JagV8; 02-27-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM

Whatever. You totally ignored the TSB or what?
Clearly it was ignored. But that doesn't negate the fact that a simple Google search shows the TB failure (for whatever reason, stuck, wet, poorly designed, etc) to be a widespread, common, and expensive issue.

I regret that it is my son's car now, but I will encourage him to sell it as soon as possible.

Good to see that every car forum has a "JagV8". Always nice to have a crusty, high posting, know-it-all to chime in on every thread.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I should change my name to JagV8_v2, because I found myself agreeing with his posts up to the end. You can't just get a recall for every vehicle that has some problems, and you don't know the statistics behind the throttle body to justify your wishful thinking. Along with those numbers, there are other conditions that warrant a factory recall, and this probably didn't fall within those parameters. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration investigates complaints. Hey, they have 3 recalls right there for the 05 s-type...they aren't immune it appears.

And to be honest, you've recently joined up, and you should try to show a little more respect as such until you gain some credibility and establish yourself before proclaiming your reign over the s-type forum.

A. the forum is a very tight-knit community, with small, but rising membership numbers. Many of the members recognize and are familiar with most other members directly, if not by reputation, who frequent a specific subforum area. Taking jabs at someone in your position will only alienate you from any future aid.

B. We are all proud of our cars, no matter what state of repair or current frustration is upon us. Your statement
I regret that it is my son's car now, but I will encourage him to sell it as soon as possible.
is subtly disclaiming to all readers of the forum that 'jaguar sucks' which further diminishes your sympathizers (I was one of them) and it only reaffirms your attempt to control a situation that you find unpalatable. Try some ranch on it, I hear it helps everything go down better.

The following 3 users liked this post by H20boy:
joycesjag (02-28-2013), Norri (02-27-2013), steveinfrance (02-28-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by H20boy
I should change my name to JagV8_v2, because I found myself agreeing with his posts up to the end. You can't just get a recall for every vehicle that has some problems, and you don't know the statistics behind the throttle body to justify your wishful thinking. Along with those numbers, there are other conditions that warrant a factory recall, and this probably didn't fall within those parameters. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration investigates complaints. Hey, they have 3 recalls right there for the 05 s-type...they aren't immune it appears.

And to be honest, you've recently joined up, and you should try to show a little more respect as such until you gain some credibility and establish yourself before proclaiming your reign over the s-type forum.

A. the forum is a very tight-knit community, with small, but rising membership numbers. Many of the members recognize and are familiar with most other members directly, if not by reputation, who frequent a specific subforum area. Taking jabs at someone in your position will only alienate you from any future aid.

B. We are all proud of our cars, no matter what state of repair or current frustration is upon us. Your statement is subtly disclaiming to all readers of the forum that 'jaguar sucks' which further diminishes your sympathizers (I was one of them) and it only reaffirms your attempt to control a situation that you find unpalatable. Try some ranch on it, I hear it helps everything go down better.
This is not my first Jag and certainly not my first problem with one. I appreciate your comments and certainly understand your position. One quip about a recall and that's what turned this thread? I guess I can see how that could happen.

I don't think Jaguar's suck. I think the one I gave my son sucks. I am sure yours is just peachy.

As a member of other forums that also feature a tight knit group and plenty of "characters", they are generally very patient with newbie questions. With that being said, the "whatever" comment from JagV8 was uncalled for, rude and immature.

Sorry if my "recall" comment ruffled anyone elses feathers, but I am sure you will get over it.

Not sure where the "proclaiming your reign over the forum" remark came from? Please don't feel threatened as that is certainly not my intent.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Please post what you find to be the problem.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
Please post what you find to be the problem.
Good idea!

Can we stay on topic and finish with the sparring now?

Old 02-28-2013, 12:41 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

My local guy quoted $1300 on the repair. Originally I thought it was going to be in the $2500 range. I wonder if I can pickup the part from a jag salvage?

Old 02-28-2013, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member

q - Car details missing.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Does anyone think his battery might need replacing ?

Old 02-28-2013, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member

I think checking the TSB would be far more cost effective - and quicker.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member

Up to you, but when I bought a new battery it wasn't because I was 100% certain it was needed but because I was reasonably sure and it was one of the cheapest and easiest parts to fit.
You can't have it both ways !
I can't find the TSB in the HOW-TO's - can you post a link please?

Old 02-28-2013, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

I posted about it a couple of times so any Search for the code and my member name finds it, such as here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...27/#post340427

Old 02-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Is this it?

NUMBER
JTB00022

MODEL
2007 XK
S-TYPE
XJ Range

DATE
27 Feb 2007

SECTION:
303-14 - ELECTRONIC ENGINE CONTROLS

Vehicle Displays "Restricted Performance" on the Message
Center with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P2135 Stored

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:

CONDITION SUMMARY:

"RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE" DISPLAYED ON MESSAGE CENTER WITH DTC P2135 STORED

Situation:
A concern may be reported that the vehicle displays a restricted performance message with DTC P2135 stored. The vehicle will encounter a loss of power and poor acceleration. Under specific conditions, the pedal demand sensor adaptions can adapt to a level that [...]

The following users liked this post:
steveinfrance (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

Looks likely. My notes just say that a reflash is what needs doing. Seems cut off what you posted if so?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Doesn't seem to generate the spread of problems the OP has, including a 'parking brake failure' message.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Does anyone think his battery might need replacing ?
Steve, the first half dozen posts all suggest that.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

Norri - I was taking the p*** - you should know me by now !!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

If it were me I would get a load test on the battery then drive the car with as little load as possible this means no radio, amp or lights then recreate the same driving habits when it stalled. Also list the CODES that were pulled from YOUR car and post what make and year car we are talking about. I am new to this Thread and do not wish to go back and read it all. I agree with what I have read so far but I want to see the actual codes.

Also, Did the shop that you took the car to say why they came up with a throttle body diagnosis? What supports their findings or is it a guess?

FYI you can get your TB rebuilt (if it is necessary) and get it back in just a few days for a fraction of the price they quoted you with a lifetime guarantee.

Last edited by Gus; 02-28-2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Question on TB
Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Load test, load test, load test

Did I say load test?

+++ on load testing the battery.
+++ on load testing the alternator.

Take them to a reputable shop and have them removed from the car and placed on a load tester. This will tell you if they are up to spec.

In the mean time, if you have a multimetter, check the battery voltage with the car off. Should be around 12 V. Now start the car with all accesories off. Check the voltage again at the battery. A good alternator will put out around 14 vdc. If not your alernator is shot, or close to it.

If your alternator is putting out good charging voltage, start turning on accesories. It should be able to keep up until you reach it's maximum output.

Does anyone here knnow what the output of the alternator should be? I imagine it's around 90 to 100 amps. If your radio is drawing 75 with the amp on, you might be pushing the limits when lights and fans are running. Time to upgrade the alternator.

As far as installing a battery with higher CCA than the car needs - I don't recommend it. The way high CCA batteries are manufactured gives them a shortened life. More electrode plates inside the battery give it more power but they are thinner and don't last as long.

My

Quick Reply: Check engine light- parkbrake failure, dsc fault, gearbox fault... and more