S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light- parkbrake failure, dsc fault, gearbox fault... and more

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow, those are some crazy symptoms. I would suspect the tb with your idle issues but mine has never had those problems upon startup or otherwise. My increased idle is due to the engine management system trying to save the car from dying.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I had the same problem on my 2009 Jaguar xf 4.2L v8 supercharged matters of fact still have I replace the throttle body not same problem came back! change the spark plugs same problem I'm running out of idea you guys sure it's the battery ? cause I tested mine and it seem the battery still good but never change it since 2009 and I live in a country where the winter is hard minus 50. I 'm runing out of idea and don't have jaguar dealer in my town 8 hours from where I live and the car is undrivable HELP ME !

Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,948 Posts

For the cost and peace of mind I'd change the battery. It's hard to test them properly for modern cars stuffed with electronics.

If it doesn't fix it, diagnosing via an OBD tool with live data is probably next but you don't want to be trying to do that unless you know 100% the battery is OK as the blind alleys will be nightmares.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am experiencing this exact issue with my 05 S-type. I just bought it knowing it was having issues but got a heck of a deal. Being a Harley mechanic I know the first place you start is the batter and fuse boxes. I am charging the batter right now and started going through fuses boxes everything looks good after I let the batter charge for awhile I am going to take it for a test spin. I did pull codes and the only one I P1451 EVAP Control System Canister Vent Solenoid Circuit Malfunction. Does anyone think this is a separate problem then the one listed above? The previous owner had a new (used) engine put in and she said it started happening after that and mentioned something about a vent that should be going from gas tank to motor. I'm not sure if the tank was removed but I can smell a strong odor of gas after I put a few gallons in the tank. Time to start looking for gas tank and fuel line diagrams.... if any can point me to them it would be greatly appreciated. I will put an update of my diagnostics on here soon.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by howie713
I am experiencing this exact issue with my 05 S-type. I just bought it knowing it was having issues but got a heck of a deal. Being a Harley mechanic I know the first place you start is the batter and fuse boxes. I am charging the batter right now and started going through fuses boxes everything looks good after I let the batter charge for awhile I am going to take it for a test spin. I did pull codes and the only one I P1451 EVAP Control System Canister Vent Solenoid Circuit Malfunction. Does anyone think this is a separate problem then the one listed above? The previous owner had a new (used) engine put in and she said it started happening after that and mentioned something about a vent that should be going from gas tank to motor. I'm not sure if the tank was removed but I can smell a strong odor of gas after I put a few gallons in the tank. Time to start looking for gas tank and fuel line diagrams.... if any can point me to them it would be greatly appreciated. I will put an update of my diagnostics on here soon.

Hi Chris, as you know all modern vehicles are electronically controlled to one degree or another. The S-type is no exception, so after giving it an overnight charge and a 1 hr settle period you should have about 12.6v in the battery - if you don't it's foobar'd.

Also check to ensure that after the car is stopped and locked and the shut-down delay (45-60mins) has past, you are getting a current draw of no more than approx 0.05amps. If the draw is greater it'll tap your battery hard so you are back to a weak battery and all that that entails!!!

The following users liked this post:
howie713 (08-29-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

The workshop[ manual JTIS is free on here. Also parts JEPC.

The following users liked this post:
howie713 (08-29-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Since you have a 2005 check that the one and only recall has been done. On my 2005 STR the entire fuel tank was replaced when it was still on its first owner.

Any Jaguar dealer should be able to run your VIN and see if it's been done. Recalls are free for up to 10 years so check it out as that might be your problem because it had to do with the gas tank and the vent system.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by thebiglad
Hi Chris, as you know all modern vehicles are electronically controlled to one degree or another. The S-type is no exception, so after giving it an overnight charge and a 1 hr settle period you should have about 12.6v in the battery - if you don't it's foobar'd.

Also check to ensure that after the car is stopped and locked and the shut-down delay (45-60mins) has past, you are getting a current draw of no more than approx 0.05amps. If the draw is greater it'll tap your battery hard so you are back to a weak battery and all that that entails!!!
So the battery that was in my car was good and it was brand new as the previous owner mentioned.... Which is why I was a little bit hesitant that the battery was the problem but because I it seemed that new battery didnt fit I searched and search for the correct battery specs which I couldn't find but I saw a thread where they were saying the Bosch 94 replacement from pepboys was a good battery I check those specs and low and behold the brand new batter in the car did not have enough CCA or reserve. Bought the new Bosch batter and clear all codes in the car and not a check engine light yet in two days.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Since you have a 2005 check that the one and only recall has been done. On my 2005 STR the entire fuel tank was replaced when it was still on its first owner.

Any Jaguar dealer should be able to run your VIN and see if it's been done. Recalls are free for up to 10 years so check it out as that might be your problem because it had to do with the gas tank and the vent system.
As far as the recall I have check I have called Jaguar and they said that the Recall was completed back in April 2007. A little further investigation I tore out the back seat and have pulled the cap to get quick access to the fuel tank and sure enough there is a small about of gas though I can not exactly pin point where it is coming from. I can say it doesnt seem to be coming from the quick connect fitting. I am curious if Jaguar will even do anything since they have completed the recall once already?

Also Jaguar mentioned that there is another recall for a OBD II Deficiency some kind of upload they have to do.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:25 PM

I am new to the forum... Where do you find the workshop manual?

Old 08-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Look at the top threads for JTIS (Jaguar Technical Information Services).

Yes those two seals on top of the tanks have been reported a few times. Got to replace the seal. The original recall was because the flange those seals seal on were warped and leaked gas. Most of the time the entire tank had to be changed or the leaking would continue. Like I said mine was swapped out under warranty.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member

I'd guess they won't do it twice under warranty, especially 6 years on. There's a special tool for some of the rings so be careful if you DIY.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I'd guess they won't do it twice under warranty, especially 6 years on. There's a special tool for some of the rings so be careful if you DIY.
I didnt think they would do It again so I have been debating changing them myself. But it does require a specia... going to start looking l for the seals now.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default => dsc failure, park brake failure, gearbox fault, engine management system failure

Hey Guys,

I experienced the same behavior mentioned by qwiketz, last night. (see below). I limped along at 3-5 mph to the Jag dealer which was luckily only 5 miles away; and yes, as you might guess, it took over an hour. As soon as the service department gets back to me with their diagnosis, I will post to the forum.

=> dsc failure, park brake failure, gearbox fault, engine management system failure

Once you get to the last one, the car idles at 1100 rpm rough and is not drivable at all. It's not in restricted performance mode. It will only idle in gear and so you can only go about 3-5 mph.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:47 PM

Update: While the Jag dealer Service Manager has not yet provided the details as to the cause, he did state unequivocally, that it was not the Battery!!! Nervously waiting on the repair estimate...

Old 08-31-2013, 07:34 AM

Just tell them you want a new battery!! And save yourself some money.

Last edited by howie713; 08-31-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
The workshop[ manual JTIS is free on here. Also parts JEPC.
I finally got the JTIS loaded and working but it only goes up to 2004. I have a 2005 and the fuel tank retaining clip looks completely different. I borrowed some pictures from some other threads but I have what is similar to the 2nd picture which has something similar to a warm drive clamp on the outside of the black retaining clip. The first picture seams to be more of a spin off style.

Attached Images   
Old 09-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

JEPC should let you tell if they changed it - most parts of the car definitely weren't changed. You can pay for access or a newer workshop manual from ebay if you feel it's worth it...

Old 09-03-2013, 10:14 PM

Update: Dealer got back with me today with the news... the bad news is, it is the throttle body sensor. The good news is, it is covered under warranty... Can't wait to get her back...

Old 09-04-2013, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, that IS good news! (I'm not convinced they've figured out the problem but it's not your money.)

Quick Reply: Check engine light- parkbrake failure, dsc fault, gearbox fault... and more