S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine...Restricted Performance What a day.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Check Engine...Restricted Performance What a day.

Well decided to go hiking today. Drove the STR about 2 hours to the mountains everything was perfectly fine get to the visitor center did a small 2 mile warm up hike and get back to the STR to drive to another trailhead.

Well maybe a mile down the road check engine and restricted performance. I'm like oh great. So just park it at the trailhead and do another 5 miles. Get back to the STR starts up still both lights on. Start driving since I'm 2 hours from home and start driving around the mountains to get back to the highway.

Everytime I gave it a little bit of gas to get up a part of the mountain when it would shift the restricted performance would turn off and everything shifted perfectly fine and no noises or anything unusual coming from anything. Every so often the restricted would come on for a bit then go out but it never stayed in 3rd or shifted any different and the engine light always stayed on.

Craziest thing I've ever experienced lights were going crazy but car drove like it always does. Pulling codes tomorrow so those will follow tomorrow. Anybody had that stuff come on with no change in drivability?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Any suspicion of the Battery, Vance?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

That might be a great suspicion as I dont really drive her very much anymore. Only really moves once maybe twice a week and it is the original battery. Will do a voltage test tomorrow. Didn't struggle to start and had no other electrical glitches besides those two lights. Thanks for reminding me of the electrical parties the lights have when the battery is dieing I almost forgot about that.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

Voltage low will show a failing battery.

But lack of low voltage does not prove battery health either way. So, don't rely on a voltage test.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
Everytime I gave it a little bit of gas to get up a part of the mountain when it would shift the restricted performance would turn off and everything shifted perfectly fine and no noises or anything unusual coming from anything. Every so often the restricted would come on for a bit then go out but it never stayed in 3rd or shifted any different and the engine light always stayed on. Craziest thing I've ever experienced lights were going crazy but car drove like it always does. Pulling codes tomorrow so those will follow tomorrow. Anybody had that stuff come on with no change in drivability?
Exact symptoms when one of the fuel pumps goes on a XJR. It will also knock accelerating up a hill because it is not getting the expected additional fuel from the second pump so it runs lean.

Prior to that, you might see unexplained hard starting depending on which pump is on the way out.

The secondary pump is used for startup priming and high rpm demand. The main pump is used after starting.

Have fun

Old 03-05-2012, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

I'm leaning towards a vaccume leak. The two rubber bellows supplied by the Mafioso air intake tube that connect it to the airbox and intake plenum ripped. Chris check these out. It's difficult to detect due to the gap opening up only when the engine torques during acceleration. Haven't a clue as to Mafioso (Luigi) whereabouts cause I need a new pair of bellows. A smoke test revealed the ripped bellows plus leaking brake booster spiggot that holds the brake booster vaccume hose, leaking purge canister hose-fitting, and leaking EGR to intake manifold gasket.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member

^^

... missed the mention of the Mafioso intake elbow in the sig. A problem with that would exhibit the same symptoms as well because it leads to the same thing ... under fueling.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

10-4 that.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Well pulled codes and got a P0171 and a P0174 pending. Going back out to pull my intake just to double check it. I did already have a problem with them splitting a few months ago but I had got another set and replaced them. After that looks like I'm going to be chasing vacuum lines. Anyone got any other ideas of things to chase?

Old 03-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

Well upon doing some inspecting I found I had some moisture up underneath the cowl and traced it to this fitting. Its on the drivers side just under the throttle body and TPS. Anyone have any ideas if this is a vacuum line and where it comes from. I havent ripped enough apart to see it that well this was taken with my phone cause it was the only thing I could fit down there for a pic. Still hot from running so gonna have to wait to start removing stuff. I'd like to try and get out and pick up the line if I can find out which line it is so I can just do a breakdown and replace. Any ideas??

Attached Thumbnails Check Engine...Restricted Performance What a day.-imag0382.jpg  
Old 03-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

I had 171/174 recurrent on the 05 3.0L. Couldn't find any vac leak. Noticed in live data that MAF reading seemed high in comparison to the 03. Swapped MAF's. NO codes either car, 05 MAF still higher on 03 car but similar operating regimes yielded numbers a bit less divergent. Swapped back and codes returned on the 05. Swapped again, sent my baby off to college with the "bad" MAF b/c it seemed "good" on her car.....for about a year...when she drove home for Christmas, she got RP about 30 mi. from home. Checked codes and had 171/174. Swapped MAF's back and ordered a new one for the 05. 03 is back in LA with it's original MAF and thus far fine. 05 ran "bad" MAF for about a week and a half with no codes, no issues, until new one arrived and I had a chance to install it. (Momma was going to school to visit her cub or I would've probably just left that one in to see when/if codes returned)

Old 03-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks aholbro1 once I figure out what is supposed to be attached to the fitting in the pic and get that fixed if the problem is still there then looks like I'll start playing with the MAF.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

Chris, with the motor running, does the fitting suck (vaccume)?

Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone got any other ideas of things to chase?
Women.

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Cant chase women without a running Jag. LOL.

Well reattached it was a vacuum line from the S/C inlet to the I believe fuel sensor if I remember correctly according to the vacuum diagram. I got it reattached and also cleaned the MAF which did have a little bit of a build up. Reset the engine light and will see what happens. I'll keep this updated.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Cant chase women without a running Jag. LOL.
Sure you can. Don the leathers and ride the Buell

Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hope that sorts it, Chris. Any idea what popped it loose?

Old 03-06-2012, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Sounds to me like your STR is hinting around that it needs an "Italian Tune Up" Chris. Not getting driven too much...getting cranky. You should probably spend some time at WOT. That is my suggestion. I've decided that "floor it" is about all I can figure out anymore.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,849 Posts

I agree, Chris. Drive that STR a bit more, and put it through its paces when you do. Keep us posted on how it's doing....

By the way, where did you go to hike last weekend? I'm guessing either Hanging Rock State Park or Pilot Mountain State Park. I try to get to both of them with my best hiking buddy at least every couple of years, always in late October....

Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds to me like your STR is hinting around that it needs an "Italian Tune Up" Chris. Not getting driven too much...getting cranky. You should probably spend some time at WOT. That is my suggestion. I've decided that "floor it" is about all I can figure out anymore.
Trust me when I do drive it it gets driven. LOL. Ask the cop a few weeks ago that nailed me a mile from my driveway doing 23 over. Hopefully taking care of that soon. The bad thing about going from a bike to the STR is if you go what you feel like is the speed limit on the bike in the STR you are heavily exceeding the speed limit and it usually takes me a few miles to adjust.

Hope that sorts it, Chris. Any idea what popped it loose?
I dont know what popped it loose but I'm assuming because of the way it fit together after that it just worked its way loose. I ended up using electrical tape just to secure it better when I reassembled. Here is the line that popped off this is what I traced it to and looked at the vacuum diagram under the hood to figure out where it went.

Sure you can. Don the leathers and ride the Buell
I would ride the Buell but currently its all taped up cause I'm painting the seat rails and redid the header wrap should be done later today.

I agree, Chris. Drive that STR a bit more, and put it through its paces when you do. Keep us posted on how it's doing....

By the way, where did you go to hike last weekend? I'm guessing either Hanging Rock State Park or Pilot Mountain State Park. I try to get to both of them with my best hiking buddy at least every couple of years, always in late October....
I hiked Hanging Rock Jon. It was just going to be a few miles to hit all the waterfalls and then it turned into hiking the tallest point in the park so we ended up on the Moores Knob hike to the old fire tower. Awesome hike.
Here I am at the top.

Attached Thumbnails Check Engine...Restricted Performance What a day.-imag0384.jpg   Check Engine...Restricted Performance What a day.-dscn0212-1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Check Engine...Restricted Performance What a day.