Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check if mileage has been changed

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check if mileage has been changed

Hello,

I´m a new guy from Germany. I hope you can help me?

I´ve just bought an Jaguar S-Type 3.0 V6 Automatic Executive, a very nice car. Since five years I´m driving an MG-F MPI from 1997, so I think I got a favour for british cars ;-)

As I opended the bonnet at home and took a closer look at the machine I saw a note whith the mileage of the last oil change.

It was 281.000 Kilometres. I´ve just bought the car with 158.000 Kilometres on the clock. So my question is, is there any way to find out if the mileage has been manipulated oh the clock?

In the German Forums some people say that it is unpossible to change the mileage at the tachometer. Is that right?

By the way the condition of the car is very good.

Thanks for your help.

sincerely

sven

Old 03-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

not without changing the instrument pack can you change mileage. once its there its there. I would think more possible that someone screwed up their numbers on the oil change

Old 03-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The mileage on modern cars is stored in the engine computer, so you cant just swap clusters and claim the new mileage. You must have the title of the car? What does that say?

I part out Lincoln Mark VIIs (1984-1992) and the clusters sell fast if they have around 100,000mi or lower, because in my state after a certain age the car does not need the title to be registered.

It was most likely at the dealer and they just slapped the wrong sticker on. S-Types are common and there are always a few in the shop at the same time.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

The service book may show km at each service - not a guarantee but something to check.

If Germany has an I/M (inspection and maintenance) programme (to check vehicle condition and/or emissions) is the km recorded, maybe online?

Old 03-26-2010, 03:36 PM

On jaguars the mileage is stored in the instrument pack, not the ecu. When ordering new inst pack you have to send the repair order to jaguar showing mileage, then they burn the milage into the inst pack and ship it to the dealer. Some packs now come unprogrammed, and you have to enter engineering access through our diag equipment to jaguar and a temp number is issued to even be able to go into the engineering mode to even ba able to flash the mileage into the new instrument pack and it is done vin specific

Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
On jaguars the mileage is stored in the instrument pack, not the ecu. When ordering new inst pack you have to send the repair order to jaguar showing mileage, then they burn the milage into the inst pack and ship it to the dealer. Some packs now come unprogrammed, and you have to enter engineering access through our diag equipment to jaguar and a temp number is issued to even be able to go into the engineering mode to even ba able to flash the mileage into the new instrument pack and it is done vin specific
Thats good info. while I have never parted a modern Jaguar, I am in the market for another one and that is good to know because I like the 98-03 X308 which some are in the year range where my state doesnt require a title to be sold or registered. No reference on mileage without title, besides whats on odometer.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:04 PM

Hi,
I bought the car without a service book. The car originally comes from Italy.
The title was a italian one, I now have a german title the original title had to be left at the registration office.

But I don´t think that anyone invests so much work in manipulation the mileage for a car which has been sold for 7900€. I hope so ;-)

I think that I´ll try to contact Jaguar maybe they can find out any details via the VIN.
Hope they do so.

sincerely

Sven

Old 03-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Any jaguar dealer will at least be able to print out all the details of your car at the time it was built. Lots of interesting information. Just ask nicely

Old 03-27-2010, 12:28 PM

i dont know to much about these cars but i do know for sure that you change mileage on our cars. i have a 2003 str & i had mine turned back once before i brought it in for repairs under warranty. lol i didnt watch it done but its a friend that does it & he told me its easy to be done. it didnt take him more then 30mins.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:02 PM

^^^^ I smell BS unless you can show and prove it. Ive been working on jaguars for 13 years and I know how mileage is stored, its digital and in the instrument pack control module. not a matter of turning dials like the good ol days....and seeing how many scanners wont pull up jaguar codes and or give erroneouse code meaning I doubt any avg person without proper equipment could do it. so.......

Old 03-27-2010, 04:09 PM

well i cant prove it but i have no reason to lie. im sure you know more about cars then i do but that is 1 thing i do know 100%. i seen my car go away & come back with about 20,000 less kms then it had. he could only put it back 20k because i had it was on record before that & im sure they would have void my warranty if the car had less kms then it did 6months before lol. i really have no reason to lie.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

I know quite a bit about this but let's not discuss it on a public forum. Brutal, pm me if you like.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I am sure it is the same elsewhere, but in the UK clocking is illegal. Use sites such as this MOT check for older cars to see its MOT and mileage history before you buy

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ot/DG_10020539

Old 03-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Re. "clocking" in UK; I've researched this one. Surprizingly, it's not actually illegal in UK to "clock" a car. A number of "clocking" outfits operate via sites such as E-bay average cost £40. One character on Gumtree was blatant about it, and would do it for £20! HOWEVER...it most certainly IS illegal to attempt to sell a "clocked" car due to misrepresentation. It's an offence under the sale of goods act, and the provision of goods and services act. UNFORTUNATELY...since in UK before the MOT (Ministry of Transport Test) becomes due after 3 years from new, there is no official record of what mileage a car has done, as the clock mileage has to be inserted on the MOT cert. by the tester. So "clocking" is much safer in this 3 year period. I would estimate that most 'common' cars which are consumed from new by fleet users and lease users, have done at least 90,000miles, YES 90,000miles! They don't pay the kind of money they cost per month without wanting plenty use out of the cars! The hire company then get shot of them before the MOT is due via car auctions. The trade pick them up cheaply, the mileage becomes magical, and they are then retailed to unsuspecting buyers.
BUT, would this happen to a Jag? Is the question! Unlikely, since as Mr. Brutal says, the mileage can't be fiddled in the usual way. Nontheless, I wouldn't put it past some of the cleverer villains to find a way...What is a 2y/o Jaguar low-miler worth?
You know those little card readers at the supermarket checkout? It has been discovered that some of these readers have been coming out of the Chinese factory with altered software and a mobile phone unit installed inside. The 'phone unit then broadcasts to a foreign country via the usual network all the credit card details PLUS pin numbers at the end of the day. So the villains are never even in the country while raiding your bank account!
Leedsman.