Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking Premium sound switch polarity

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 10:29 PM
jya
Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Checking Premium sound switch polarity

Nearly finished upgrading to Jaguar Premium sound.
They may sound okay but but from what I could see the Jaguar Premium Sound door speaker offerings looked average and a bit too plastic (like the rear subs) for me so I decided to go slightly more upmarket with a set of 4 speakers I had sitting around in my garage for one of my other cars.
Therefore JVC splits for the front doors and and a pair of Pioneer Premier Series 6 3/4" 2 way for the rear doors.
The rear deck subs I did what many others did and bought factory used. They are at least the ones with the vented magnet but average looking and was not too impressed with their plastic casings as mentioned.. Was all a bit too hard finding a more upmarket pair this size (6 1/2") and at a 2 Ohm rating and at least they plug straight in.
Not so with the door plugs of course if you dont want Jaguar's plastic offerings. The wiring diagram has the tweeter and mid connections at all the same colour but I think I worked out the right way to read the wiring diagram and the plugs.
Even though the four wires on each plug are the same one pair has a distinct blue marking which must be for the tweeters.
Happy if anyone can confirm.
I have yet to get to the rear door plugs and it looks like they may have a different crossover arrangement...

Blue marks on one pair of each plug which must be for tweeters.

JVC splits on front doors

Front door plugs

Non Vented Jaguar sub

Vented Jaguar sub

Old Pioneers I had, for rear doors

Old 03-26-2020, 12:51 AM
jya

Update:

I am fairly certain I got the the polarity correct by following the wiring diagram's layout and corresponding this with the physical plugs layout.
I have yet to install the above 6 1/2" 2 way speakers in the rear doors but as they are a 2 way and not 'splits' they do have their own built in crossovers which will need to be bypassed as the Jaguar amp controls the high/mid/low frequencies.
One disappointing thing at this point is that I noticed the Jaguar Premium amp drives the front split's tweeters very hard compared to when I had these splits running from the head units amp before I changed to the 'Premium' bits. The tweeters are now too loud and overpower the woofers. No way I think to adjust this. Admittedly I was listening to older analogue recorded (and compressed) music but still a disappointment.. I have a Cerwin Vega set of tweeters as well as a Polk set of tweeters that I will have to try and also check their stats compared to the JVC's in there at the moment. May be a better combo. The rear door speakers aren't in yet so this may change the sound output. Will report back to those that may be interested.
Another disappointment (that I was aware of) was the very ordinary RMS/Continuous power output from the Premium amp. I am constantly running the volume at 90+ percent... Not a good sign for any system, the amp is constantly running out of puff. Not sure if anyone has bothered to waste some time to update the Premium amps internals..

Old 03-29-2020, 03:14 AM
Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

Just to confirm the blue marking is the Tweeter.

For example on the Right Hand premium sound speaker plugs:

Pin 1: Tweeter + White with a red stripe and blue dot.
Pin 2: Tweeter - Yellow with a red stripe and blue dot.
Pin 3: Mid + White with a red stripe. No blue dot.
Pin 4: Mid - Yellow with a red stripe. No blue dot.

However, as Jaguar used the same wire colour wires for both the mid and the tweeters I would guess that although driven separately the actual frequency output and power levels may well be the same for both the tweeter and the mid speakers. My guess is that they used the relative output db levels of the two components in the Alpine speakers to get the right 'mix', with the tweeters giving far less db's than the mids, rather than changing the output characteristics in the amp. I could be wrong, but if correct it will not matter what wires you used for the tweeters.
To prove, or disprove this you could try swapping the wires over from the mid to the tweeters to see if it makes any difference to the sound.

This would explain why in your case the tweeters are too loud.

Mellow

Last edited by M-e-l-l-o-w; 03-29-2020 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:49 AM
jya

"However, as Jaguar used the same wire colour wires for both the mid and the tweeters I would guess that although driven separately the actual frequency output and power levels may well be the same for both the tweeter and the mid speakers. My guess is that they used the relative output db levels of the two components in the Alpine speakers to get the right 'mix', with the tweeters giving far less db's than the mids, rather than changing the output characteristics in the amp. I could be wrong, but if correct it will not matter what wires you used for the tweeters.
To prove, or disprove this you could try swapping the wires over from the mid to the tweeters to see if it makes any difference to the sound.

This would explain why in your case the tweeters are too loud."

That sounds like a plausible explanation Mellow. And with that in mind I don't think the Premium amp may suit a pair of splits, or these high quality JVC splits at least with what appears to be a very high level of tweeter efficiency which the Premium Alpine speakers may not have had;or needed to have by design.
I am familiarising myself with the current (not so awful but certainly overpowering too loud tweeter) sound so that I can make a valid comparison when I try and swap the tweeter/mid wires over to see what happens; probably nothing as you have mentioned.
That leaves me with trying the other 2 pairs of tweeters I have but they are both premium products as well. I am thinking now that I may have to go for a 2 way speaker instead. Also I was dreaming when I though those premium Pioneer speakers I pictured above I have were going to fit in a 5x7" Ford style enclosure! These Pioneers are 6 3/4"... They fit nicely in the rear parcel shelf sub woofer enclosure lol.
So I have ordered a pair of Rockford Fosgate P1572 Punch 5"x7" 2-Way Full Range Speakers.

The splits sounded miles better when I had them just running off the head units amp.
I did follow the factory wiring diagram so they are definitely wired the correct way also as you confirmed above.
​​​​​​​See how we go!

Old 04-01-2020, 01:43 PM
Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

I have not done it myself, but I heve seen comments that just changing the standard, non premium sound speakers using the head unit amp makes a masive improvemnt to the sound quality.
Mellow

Old 04-03-2020, 10:27 PM
jya

Yes you are not wrong there, huge difference. These JVC splits sounded really nice just from the head units amp running through their crossovers.
You may be able to help regarding the wiring of these Rockford Fosgate brand 5x7's to the Premium amp.
As per photos below I assume the red and white wires that run to the tweeters connect direct to the Premium amps tweeter output? No cutting but the same to the mid bass connection?

Tweeter wires. Magnet cap removed

I have these lovely pair of 1980's speakers below that I can't part with and thought of using but they appear to share a common negative input. I assume both negative outputs from the Premium amp to remain together and disable the filter?

Filter/Crossover

Common negative?

Old 04-04-2020, 02:43 AM
jya

I should have mentioned that I was installing these 5x7's in the rear doors where there is only one amp channel from the Premium amp per door so no need to cut anything! Jaguar rear door premium speakers must have a capacitor/crossover built in, unlike the Premium front door speakers which look the same.
I will now fit these to the rear door speaker holders, install and see how I go. I have turned the treble down a bit and the front JVC splits' tweeters don't sound as bad obviously. The whole system may sound better with the rear door speakers fitted.
I also noticed the factory subs in the rear shelf tend to vibrate on the very low loud bass frequencies.. Anyone placed any damping material there?

One channel only to rear doors.