S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chemical intercooling (water/methanol) experience??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Chemical intercooling (water/methanol) experience??

I am looking seriously into installing a water/methanol system on my STR due to heat being generated by the (soon to be installed) smaller SC pulley.

Over the last couple weeks I have done research here as well as general web searches. Any hands-on experience with this type of cooling on forced fed gas motors would be greatly appreciated! I am looking at a system by Snow Performance.
Snow Performance : Home

It must have been divine intervention when this show came up last week on SPEED Network's show "HP TV". I saw some good & SAFE performance numbers on a new SC'ed Hemi with the Snow system installed. Original dyno runs were done on a 550ish hp hemi (run with 116 octane race gas) followed by runs with the Snow Performance system (93 octane pump gas). Max gains at the wheels were 41 hp and 41 torque. They are always going to show you the best case scenairio but if I could get 18-25 hp and torque at the wheels, it would be worth $400 to me. Could run at the track during the hot summer too!
Price:
Search Our Online Catalog - Custom Cars Central

Dyno Examples:
Snow Performance : Dyno Charts gasoline

Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I am right there with you. I am looking at installing a water/meth injection system very soon. Not sure which company I want to go with and how much adjustablility I need in a system though.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

As Qikcat mentioned in the other post, it will help in keeping power for a longer run, it will not add power. That on itself for a ¼ mile run or so will definitely help of course

The only way to add power would be if you would also tune your ECU for more advanced ignition and leaner mixture, as that will be possible with such systems. But that also means the system always needs to work when you floor it (so you must always carry enough juice with you).

I am also going to try such a system, but it will be for our diesel, not for my car. I have chosen the cooling mist stage 3 one as it controls 2 nozzles and seems to have some progressive spry possibility and safety features, but it will also be an experiment for me. Main reason for installing it will be to clean the intake/engine from years of EGR usage, and only occasionally use it afterwards, as I just dislike the idea off constantly have to fill the methanol canister…

Old 02-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If you call snow they will claim a 5-10% increase without tuning. I saw 8-10hp total on the dyno with the car cool and i contribute that to the extra boost seen from sealing the blower up with the water. It saves a lot of power when the car is hot 20 + in my test. If you use boost juice or meth you will add from .5 to 1 points of AFR nice if you can bump timing but since we can't of no use to us, just go straight water.

I use a pressure switch and spray at 10psi up. A full washer reservoir last a month and the low washer fluid light is your gauge. At the track its good for a full day and then some. Keep in mind I have only tested one jet so far so I am far from definitive answers, I may find more power in it once I am finished?

Edit: BTW i saw that show as well they didn't say it but I would bet money they tuned that car for the spray. The key to all those dynos is timming!

Last edited by qikcat; 02-28-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
The only way to add power would be if you would also tune your ECU for more advanced ignition and leaner mixture, as that will be possible with such systems. But that also means the system always needs to work when you floor it (so you must always carry enough juice with you).
This any real power increase is in the tune.

I saw the show on Speed too. They talked about adding timing/rejetting the carb on the first motor they tested. And I'm sure the tuned the Challenger to make the power they did as well.

The other thing to mention on cars that are tuned to run with meth injection(as in increased timing) is if the meth system fails/runs out of juice catastrophic engine failure could be the result.