S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking sound under J-Gate when Braking

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking sound under J-Gate when Braking

Can anyone help please ? Firstly I am new here and maybe should have joined 18 months ago when I bought my used 2.5 S type.Anyway here now. Every time I brake I can hear a clicking sound underneath the J-Gate auto selector console. In-fact if I place my hand on the console I can feel the clicking through it as well as hear it. Its been doing this for about 6 months now. Over the 6 months that it has been happenening it has been intermittant. What I mean by that is that is it started both when I braked AND when I took my foot off the brake, so there were two clicks, then it stopped making the noisy click when I took my foot off the brake, but continued to make the noise when I braked. Then it stopped all together for about a month. I then took a different route to work and had to go over them stupid slow down humps we have in the UK now everywhere, and it has recently started again but this time it doesnt make the noise all the time when I brake but only when I take my foot off the brake. Its so damm annoying and seems to be getting louder, but there are no warning lights on and it is not effecting its braking (all brake lights still work) or the selector for the gears ie N-P-D-1-2 etc, they all seem to engage just fine. About 4 months ago I took it to a garage near where I work (NOT a jaguar dealer) and the mechanic said it sounded like a braking solonoid or relay. I do not know the difference between either, and certainly do not know how serious it would be if it was this relay or solonid and it gave out all together. As I can NOT find a Jaguar S-Type repair manual anywhere for love nor money I am desperately hoping anyone who may have heard of this fault before or just knows exactly what it is and how I can repair it, can help me out PLEASE. Before I go insane with the constant clicking sound.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Welcome, even if late LOL

You can easily get a car CD (JTIS) on a certain auction site very cheaply. Definitely well worth having.

The J-gate is easy to take apart just to look at in case anything is obviously loose - and worth a search on here (and google) for photos and how-to, though it's easy and fairly obvious.

There's a failure where bolts come loose and can drop out but you get at those from below the car and don't need to touch the J-Gate. Still could be those and worth a check. They're in that approx area I understand.

What year is the car and auto or manual?

Old 12-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

There is a solenoid in the J gate area that prevents the gear lever from being moved out of the park position unless the foot brake is applied. It does make a subtle click when activated.

Sounds like yours is clicking every time you hit the brakes irrespective of gear lever position.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:25 PM

Thanks JagV8 for your advice. I am currently the highest bidder on an auction site for your suggested CD WorkShop Manual. The year of the car is 2003. So it sounds as though, from your advice, I may be ramping the vehicle and getting underneath, I think I may have to wait until the snow goes for me to do that. Do you think if it is any of these bolts or linkages are loose they could be dangerous to driving ?

Old 12-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
There is a solenoid in the J gate area that prevents the gear lever from being moved out of the park position unless the foot brake is applied. It does make a subtle click when activated.

Sounds like yours is clicking every time you hit the brakes irrespective of gear lever position.
i think the same as mikey, i am willing to bet money on this

Old 12-20-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey

Thanks Mikey for the advice, thank you for explaining what the solenoid is for. I have also replied to JagV8`s advice but as I am new here I didnt know how to place my replies so others could see them (apologies to JagV8 for sending a personal reply and not a thread reply). So taking on board what you say, this could lead to eventually sticking in the Parking position ? I think, if this solenoid defects completely ?

Old 12-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

No worries about the accidental PM. I'd go with Mikey's advice to start with, especially as it's inside the car

Oh - turns out it wasn't a PM so no worries at all LOL

I'm not sure if he means it's loose or just noisier than usual but maybe you'll figure that out when it's apart. If it's a solenoid it may be cheap enough to buy another before you start and plan to replace it. Thoughts Mikey?

Last edited by JagV8; 12-20-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by phd12volt
i think the same as mikey, i am willing to bet money on this
Thanks Jason, its all beginning to confirm this solenoid thingy may be the culprit. I am hopin to purchase a cd workshop manual on ebay within the next two days (If I am not outbid) but does anyone know what the part number is for this Solenoid ? on a 2003 Automatic S Type ? Can a complete novice (as long as I have the right tools) do the job myself ? I guess a solenoid is basically a plug in device, I mean I would just plug this device back into the wiring ? Is replacing the Solenoid and under the car job ? By the way - what was your top speed on the straight on your CBR600 ?

Old 12-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

if you need the schematics and pics i can always try and pull them from mine.

There is usually a sensor that detects the park position. Universally speaking, when the switch is NOT activated the solenoid wont "click". However it sounds like your is sticking in the "activated" position which is allowing the solenoid to function everytime you step on the brake. I would fix it soon, as if the solenoid does fail due to overusage you might get stuck in park at some point.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag666
By the way - what was your top speed on the straight on your CBR600 ?
i have hit 158 on it, on a straight, with no traffic around....dont know what that converts into in KM though.

i dont think your solenoid is the issue.....i believe it is the park detect switch.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
Thoughts Mikey?
I think Jason's got it with the park detect thingy.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by phd12volt
i have hit 158 on it, on a straight, with no traffic around....dont know what that converts into in KM though.

i dont think your solenoid is the issue.....i believe it is the park detect switch.
I would really appreciate if you had any schematics or pics or instructions of how to get to and change this "Park Detect Switch" I have undertaken the odd diy job on cars in my time so as long as its not complicated I should be able to do this (I hope :-) ) ANY and ALL help would genuinly be appreciated, as theres no guarentee I will be the highest bidder on ebay for this cd workshop manual, then I will be totally lost without pics etc. I guess I would go to a brakers yard first to try and remove one of the parking switches from a Jag S that is for braking before I attempt it on mine.

158 mph, thats FAST, dont worry no need to try and convert to kmh, I to, also deal with proper speed - mph not kmh. The fastest I have ever been was nearly 220mph, which was extremely stupid as it was on a UK motorway at the time until the police stopped me.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jag666
I would really appreciate if you had any schematics or pics or instructions of how to get to and change this "Park Detect Switch" I have undertaken the odd diy job on cars in my time so as long as its not complicated I should be able to do this (I hope :-) ) ANY and ALL help would genuinly be appreciated, as theres no guarentee I will be the highest bidder on ebay for this cd workshop manual, then I will be totally lost without pics etc. I guess I would go to a brakers yard first to try and remove one of the parking switches from a Jag S that is for braking before I attempt it on mine.

158 mph, thats FAST, dont worry no need to try and convert to kmh, I to, also deal with proper speed - mph not kmh. The fastest I have ever been was nearly 220mph, which was extremely stupid as it was on a UK motorway at the time until the police stopped me.
That should have said 120 LOL NOT 220

Old 12-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

It would be quicker to visit the X Type forum and read about Workshop Manual (it applies to the S as well as X).

It doesn't sound as though you'd fix it by getting under the car.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:30 PM

Thanks Jagv8, I will visit that forum now and check it out. I would just like to say Thank You to all of you who have advised and continue to advise me on this issue, I really appreciate your time - THANKS

Old 01-26-2010, 04:22 PM

Update on this issue : I continued to place parking lever into N then applying the H brake then continuing to the P drive before turning off the engine. This seems to have rectified the problem. I have no idea why. I was always tought to go from D to P then apply the Hbrake, but as long as the other method now stops the clicking sound under the J gate every time I brake, then thats good enough for me. Would be interesting to find out if anyone else has experienced this "park detect switch" noise.