S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control Display

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015 | 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
Page 5-7 of the Drivers Handbook explains how the Climate Control System works. If you don't have the Handbook I believe it's available for download from the Forum for free.

Yes, normal. The default is for 'Auto' to be active when you start the car; when Auto is active, so is the A/C.

Auto deactivates (CC goes to manual mode) when I manually...
- deactivate the A/C
- adjust fan speed
- change the vent Mode
- push the interior/exterior air circulation button.

As you noted, with the A/C off, hitting the Mode button causes the A/C to re-activate. Presumably, this is because the first Mode selection is Defrost/Floor, and Defrost uses A/C.

Also note that if the outside temp is below a certain temp (don't know precisely what it is but it's approx. 32* F) you may see the rear defroster active when you first start the car.

Why is the A/C on by default in the Winter? Simple. The A/C removes interior humidity caused by the breathing, perspiring humans/animals in the car, which will fog the inside of your windows on a cold day. On really cold days this stuff turns to ice on the inside of your windows almost instantly. On our cars, the A/C and the heat are integrated and work TOGETHER as a Climate Control System, not against each other as one might think.

Operate your buttons any way you choose, but unless you guys in Chicago don't breathe or sweat in the winter, it's probably best to set the CC to Auto and simply adjust the temp to suit your needs, as JagV8 suggested. Then let your well-designed luxury car do what it was engineered to do.

Frankly, I wish they would design a home HVAC system that is as integrated and simple to use. Or perhaps they have?

Hope this was some help.
Steve
Thank you Steve,
I was guessing this was my lack of knowledge of how the CC worked, and you now have confirmed this. Thanks for the detailed operational function.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-27-2015)
Old 01-26-2015 | 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I've said before that it is. It is used to dry the air, as I posted.

Apparently you have a moisture issue. Well, no wonder, since you turn it off.

It defaults on. Think about that. Jaguar chose that so had their reasons. You've chosen to interfere but don't seem to have any real reasons...

Handbook is a free download, see Stickies / visit jag site.
No worries, and thank you.

It was simply my lack of knowledge.

salute!
Dave

Old 01-27-2015 | 01:53 AM
Veteran Member
From: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)

Originally Posted by dcjag64
Thank you Steve,
I was guessing this was my lack of knowledge of how the CC worked, and you now have confirmed this. Thanks for the detailed operational function.
Happy to help, dcjag. These are great cars, very well designed. Minor flaws here and there but overall, really well thought out. Enjoy!

Old 01-27-2015 | 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Amen, JJF! One thing to keep in mind: The more electronic features in your car, the more chance for failures. Every time you disconnect a harness or plug, spray the contacts with DeOxit D5 (or equivalent) as a habit. Good preventative maintenance.

Old 01-30-2015 | 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
From: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)

Originally Posted by Warspite
Amen, JJF! One thing to keep in mind: The more electronic features in your car, the more chance for failures. Every time you disconnect a harness or plug, spray the contacts with DeOxit D5 (or equivalent) as a habit. Good preventative maintenance.
Thanks for the tip!

Old 01-30-2015 | 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

I forgot to mention, being a Ford owner as well, there are specific assemblies that are prone to cold solder joints, over and over in the F-150 forum. ODO readout on the gauge cluster, temp display in the overhead console, GEM module...multiple threads on the same failures. If you're looking at any assembly with a printed circuit board, inspect for an area that it's obvious that the connection is broken. If you can solder with a low wattage soldering iron, you'll save quite a bit of money!

All of these are display modules. Numbers disappear, or are halved, or are intermittent. Stands to reason that temp control suffers same ailment.

Last edited by Warspite; 01-30-2015 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Spell check is your Friend.
The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (02-01-2015)
Old 01-31-2015 | 01:16 AM
Veteran Member

Never had it reported on here, though, except maybe for ABS.

Old 01-31-2015 | 02:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Never had it reported on here, though, except maybe for ABS.
Glad to hear that. A nightmare with some other brands. At least with some Fords, you can see the failure on the board. Not so with Cadillac or Infiniti. And I won't mention BMW. Even the dealers have trouble with the electronics.