Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

climate control issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 05:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default climate control issue.

Hi all,
I have read up on the problems with the Jaguar s-type, in regards to climate control issues.I have gone to the website for the S type, climate control and get as much trouble shooting as I could. I have cool air running through the main vent in the front part of the car, and hot air in all of the other vents.in addition, I do have cool air that will run through all vents, but this is only for the first 5 minutes but the car is running, as the car warms up, the air becomes very warm. I have checked all the fuses 4 the AC units, I'm unable to check voltage as I am NOT very savvy with a voltmeter, however I have replaced the dccv, which did not fix the problem. I have checked the pressures in the system and they appear to be running well I have cool air in the main vent in the center console and cool lines where appropriate, and it appears that the compressor, is working appropriate. I have also replaced the AC control module unit which is not resulted in any change. the only thing that I have not replaced at this stage that I can tell that is part of the climate control system, is the sensors. I am unable to locate these parts on the web.I am uncertain if this will even help my situation, I am somewhat at wits end.
I am quite hesitant to take my car to the dealership as I have heard so many horror stories with regards to this , and quite frankly I trust the resources on this website many more times over I would any dealership.
I have a 2003 S type v6 3.0 liter.if anyone else has recommendations for me I am more than willing to look into them. I appreciate any input that you may have. Thanks so much.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:09 AM

So as an update I have replaced the three cabin sensors. No changes. Still have warm air out of the sides and rear. So in all, I have replaced the DCCV, the climate control module, and the evaporator sensors in the cabin. I have checked the pressure in the ac system and that was OK. I have cool air from the center so I know the ac function works, I just can't get the air in the sides and rear to work. Please let me know of anything else that I can look at/ replace. Thanks
Matt

Old 09-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Did you replace the CCM with a new one? Or used?
If used, did you inspect it for burnt traces?
Did you inspect your old CCM for burnt traces?

Chafed wiring at the DCCV pigtail is reportedly a common occurrence but I'd think that would result in hot air on either side or everywhere.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Default thanks

I did replace it with a used one, I did not test for the burnt trace, however I'm not sure exactly how to test for that other than visual inspection. The board looked OK when I put it in, it seems to function properly when I use it, but then again my old CCM did as well. Any suggestions on how to check this out.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

With "lo" selected on the CCM, the DCCV should have +Vbatt on the middle pin (yellow wire) and ground on either side (both)
If that is true, then you have a failed solenoid or internal leak in the DCCV. If not true, you will have to determine whether wiring or module is at fault. On LO, no hot coolant should be going to your heater core so you shouldn't have hot air anywhere, regardless of door position. Maybe cold and less cold... but above ambient points to a failure to close the DCCV on both sides.

FWIW, post #7 has a couple of pics of a burnt trace on the board - slightly discolored. Other threads have shown some much more obvious but I haven't a handy link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-other-126824/

Last edited by aholbro1; 09-25-2014 at 10:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by aholbro1:
Don B (09-25-2014), Norri (09-25-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 04:46 AM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

It might not show up as burnt trace. So it could be worth having the CCM tested even if it looks okay. It is not too expensive to have tested and in my earlier model (1999) it is not hard to take out and send away.

Should I do a jumper wire repair? You will want to see this? - JaguarClimateControl.com

Curious to know what damage to the CCM board looks like? See an actual photo here! - JaguarClimateControl.com

Old 09-26-2014, 07:44 AM

So I understand correctly, set ccm to "lo" then unplug wiring harness from dccv to test. Middle wire should have power and other two should have no voltage as they are ground wires.

If there is no power to dccv then makes sense that the ccm is bad and not sending signal to the dccv and either there is bad wiring going to the dccv or bad ccm. Does that sound right?

What voltage should I expect at the dccv harness? 12v?

Thanks again

Matt

Old 09-26-2014, 08:38 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If you have hot air coming through any vent once the car is up to temperature then you are not controling the DCCV. You either have a faulty DCCV (I had one fail within 12 months) or two faulty RCCMs or you have a short in the wiring behind the bumper. climatecontrol.com details all the checks and voltages.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

A little more than just "no voltage" you need to confirm continuity between each of the outer two wires and vehicle ground.
Since you report hot air, you know the valve is not fully closing - if you can get a hand on both outlet hoses you could establish which side is opening, or if it is both by relative temp of the hoses.

While I don't think it would be all that difficult to end up with a failed CCM from the used market...I AM rather dubious of your chances of getting one failed in EXACTLY the same manner as your original.... but no difference at all before/after module change?

Old 09-26-2014, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

I found the burnt trace on mine by carefully examining the PCB. It blew in another place than others whose photos I've seen. There also seem to be several variants of the PCB.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:29 AM
Default @aholbro1

No change at all from switch in ccm, dccv, or replacement of all the evap sensors.
Will have to talk to someone that knows a little bit more about wiring than I do and see if I can locate where the break in the system might be.
I know this sounds stupid, but I've always been good with the mechanical aspect of repairs to my car however electrical problems have always plagued me.

aholbro1 (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Not stupid at all. Electrical gremlins can be among the most difficult and time-consuming to track down and solve. I feel your pain. Hang in there and keep us posted....

aholbro1 (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

EXACTLY what Jon said!!!
(I'm facing wheel bearing renewal on the XJ when the parts get here and it doesn't look like a walk in the park that the Ford trucks are....still, I'm much more eager to do the job than last week when the wife's S-type was blowing hot air all the time on the driver's side and I knew it was electrical!!!)

Old 10-12-2014, 05:05 PM

Sorry for no posts in a while. I was able to check all the connections. I had 23.6 amp at Fuse #32 on the main fuse, same at the side panel on the driver side, but nothing at the harness for the DCCV. I would assume that there is a faulty wire from the side panel to the DCCV, behind the bumper. This may make sense, as I did remove the bumper last year to replace all the light fixtures up front.

The only question I have is, does the wiring go right from the CCM to the DCCV or does it pass through the harness at the side panel on the drivers side.

I ask b/c if I have no power at the DCCV, this can come from the CCM not sending the signal, or if there is a break in the wiring system.

As an aside, I clamped the return from the heater core, the hose that is not directly connected to the DCCV, and runs on top the two hoses connected to the DCCV. This resulted in a return of cool air to the side vents and the rear vents in the car.

I don't think that the DCCV is bad, as this was just replaced and it is not getting any power it seems.

Anyone think I am off base? Are the amps correct? anyone have pics with some wiring diagrams?

Thanks Again.

Matt

Old 10-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Matt, You can download the electrical schematics and diag. from the stickies. I think they are included in JTIS. In any event, they are here, check the two or three threads at the top of the forum. Here are my S-Type pics; "Radiator" sub-folder may be your best bet. To be honest, I've forgotten what I have here and how it's organized:

S_Type Mechanicals Photos by holbrz1 | Photobucket