S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code 16 Occupancy seat sensor - Obsolete Part RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 04:01 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Code 16 Occupancy seat sensor - Obsolete Part RESOLVED

Hi Folks, i have a 2002 STR that has a code 16 (B2290) and Reads: Occupant Classification System Status front passenger side.
The part I'm told by Jag Dealer and a few UK independents that this part is now obsolete. I have located one breakers nearby that has one priced at £90 (includes module too)

Has anyone had this issue, done the change out, and solved the problem?

If so what sort of job is it and i am likely to be successful in eliminating the DTC if the replacement part is good?

Btw. I have tried to resolve the problem by taking the seat from my other STR (2006 model) and whilst the seat fits in OK, it throws a code 15....i suspect that is to do with the seat controls which are slightly different....I will ignore that option.

Seat Ready for inspection

I believe that this is the sensor threading into the seat cushion base

I believe that this is the sensor threading into the seat cushion base

Sensor connector

I got hold of a occupancy sensor bypass - it doesn't work though. code is still as was

Last edited by beulahjag; 05-02-2019 at 04:11 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:07 PM

took 20 mins to get this out with about 10 screws or so

Made by delphi

update: Now got the seat sensor pad out...took only 20 mins to do..it is a DELPHI product. I gave them a call all to no avail...but the guy said that they made them all very similar to other cars so its a try and match part number parts numbers he said as the XF(other cars in Jag range) part may do the trick and you should be able to get a new one too...indicative price is circa £400 which when you consider what it does seems fair...but then it is plastic and electrical so seems excessive but then we've been there before with excessive pricing !!

Old 05-02-2019, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

I wonder if a Land Rover part from the same era would work.

Is that an air-filled pad with a pressure sensor? Has it sprung a leak and deflated completely? Just trying to get an idea how it works.

Strictly guessing, but I think it works on air pressure. Again a guess, but let's say it's precharged to 2 psi. Place one's buttocks on the seat, the pad is compressed, and pressure rises to 4psi or who knows what value. Anyways, the control module expects the sensor to report anywhere from 2 to 4 psi. Should the pad leak, and pressure drops below the precharge value, that would be reported as a fault.

Other possibilities include normal pressure but a bad sensor. Or maybe a broken wire, but such a fault may set a different code. An open circuit fault may be treated differently than a value out of range.

I mention the broken wire because you tried a little doohickey that's supposed to mimic a good reading from that sensor. That may be worth investigating.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by kr98664
I wonder if a Land Rover part from the same era would work.

Is that an air-filled pad with a pressure sensor? Has it sprung a leak and deflated completely? Just trying to get an idea how it works.

Strictly guessing, but I think it works on air pressure. Again a guess, but let's say it's precharged to 2 psi. Place one's buttocks on the seat, the pad is compressed, and pressure rises to 4psi or who knows what value. Anyways, the control module expects the sensor to report anywhere from 2 to 4 psi. Should the pad leak, and pressure drops below the precharge value, that would be reported as a fault.

Other possibilities include normal pressure but a bad sensor. Or maybe a broken wire, but such a fault may set a different code. An open circuit fault may be treated differently than a value out of range.

I mention the broken wire because you tried a little doohickey that's supposed to mimic a good reading from that sensor. That may be worth investigating.
Thank you.....You are exactly right but there is an amount of clear gel in the pad and no air...i have checked it for leaks and none are apparent ...so it could only be an electrical issue.? If i knew what the test was for these things i'd have a look at it.

In the meanwhile, i have sourced and ordered (from a breakers @£70) a replacement unit that will fingers crossed .....do the trick and get the light off the dash....for my MOT in a few weeks.

Got me thinking that if they had pressurized with air (like you say) and placed a shrader valve on it you could check air pressure any time, but i guess that was an avoidable extra expense and therefore not designed in. IMHO It may have been worthy of consideration....but who knows what they had thought.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:58 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by beulahjag
If i knew what the test was for these things i'd have a look at it..
Just a thought, since the pressure of the buttocks is translated into an electrical signal, have you connected an ohm meter to the connector of the Delplhi Seat Sensor Pad and put pressure on it to see if there is a change in resistance? As someone else noted, it may be an electrical issue elsewhere.
Back to morning brew . . .

The following 2 users liked this post by Calcamper:
beulahjag (05-04-2019), kr98664 (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Calcamper
the pressure of the buttocks is translated into an electrical signal.
FWIW, I think Delphi really messed up calling this an Occupancy Seat Sensor. If I was in charge, I’d have called this a Buttocks Sensor. If nothing else, it would be fun to visit an auto parts store and loudly ask for one.

The following users liked this post:
beulahjag (05-04-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 582 Likes on 435 Posts

I have been on the forum long enough to read some rare troubles, but yours is the first i have read concerning the seat sensor....MOT must be a bear at times from different posts i have read...it does make safety as important as emissions...i like that...wish the states here would impose something similar...it would weed out the junkie cars and i don't give a damn attitudes....good luck in your hopefully successful repair....never seen the underside of our seats....wow, there is a lot of electrical and moving parts

beulahjag (05-04-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

I was looking at your earlier pictures of your car's buttock sensor (that's the official name now). You mentioned it was filled with gel. Is that everywhere, or just the smaller coin-sized bubbles?

What about the two triangular sections I've highlighted below? If I had to guess, I'd say those are the only two compartments connected to the pressure sensor via the elbow in the middle. Are those two triangular compartments filled with gel or air? The third triangular compartment below the elbow seems to have two holes punched in it, so I don't think it does anything.

The Buttock Sensor

beulahjag (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by scottjh9
I have been on the forum long enough to read some rare troubles, but yours is the first i have read concerning the seat sensor....MOT must be a bear at times from different posts i have read...it does make safety as important as emissions...i like that...wish the states here would impose something similar...it would weed out the junkie cars and i don't give a damn attitudes....good luck in your hopefully successful repair....never seen the underside of our seats....wow, there is a lot of electrical and moving parts
thanks for your reply.....to get this thing shipshape i have a few other rare troubles to address but ill do that through some other posts later

Old 05-04-2019, 12:56 PM

yeah, those are very stiff bits of rigid plastic...the gel is all around the connector

Old 05-04-2019, 12:59 PM

Thanks also to Brutal for advice re the Sdd/ids plug in to re-calibrate. I have to locate someone nearby that can do that for/with me (or a dealer)...I now have the mongoose cable and the software to load but haven't gotten hold of a good enough laptop as yet that can run it ok..

Old 05-04-2019, 01:03 PM

I was looking at your earlier pictures of your car's buttock sensor (that's the official name now). You mentioned it was filled with gel. Is that everywhere, or just the smaller coin-sized bubbles?

What about the two triangular sections I've highlighted below? If I had to guess, I'd say those are the only two compartments connected to the pressure sensor via the elbow in the middle. Are those two triangular compartments filled with gel or air? The third triangular compartment below the elbow seems to have two holes punched in it, so I don't think it does anything.

The Buttock Sensor
here's to the buttaaaark sensor....delphi defo missed a trick there...reminds me of the time I asked my sister in-law to go into the sports dept of a well know shop in London to pick up a double Fanny strap for my golf bag....i wont tell you what response she got....hilarious hearing about it though!

Old 05-04-2019, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Default An Apology

Looking back over this thread, I now realize it was inappropriate for me to repeatedly refer to the buttock sensor. This was wrong of me and I apologize wholeheartedly, without reservation. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.

From here on, I shall use proper grammar and refer to this.component as the buttocks​​​​ sensor. After all, nobody has just one, at least as far as I know. The plural version is thus appropriate, as two (or more) is the standard minimum ratio of buttocks per person (BPP).

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6qglec

beulahjag (05-07-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 582 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by beulahjag
Thanks also to Brutal for advice re the Sdd/ids plug in to re-calibrate. I have to locate someone nearby that can do that for/with me (or a dealer)...I now have the mongoose cable and the software to load but haven't gotten hold of a good enough laptop as yet that can run it ok..
The requirements to run sdd ids are not rigid... anything over the bare minimum works great...i run version 130 with xp and 138 and 145 on windows 7 32 bit beautifully, all on an older dell d620....i just swap out hard drives for my particular version that i want to use

beulahjag (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Calcamper
Just a thought, since the pressure of the buttocks is translated into an electrical signal, have you connected an ohm meter to the connector of the Delplhi Seat Sensor Pad and put pressure on it to see if there is a change in resistance? As someone else noted, it may be an electrical issue elsewhere.
Back to morning brew . . .
I will check that when i get back to it ...it would be good to see what it shows

Old 05-07-2019, 04:15 AM

Looking back over this thread, I now realize it was inappropriate for me to repeatedly refer to the buttock sensor. This was wrong of me and I apologize wholeheartedly, without reservation. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.

From here on, I shall use proper grammar and refer to this.component as the buttocks​​​​ sensor. After all, nobody has just one, at least as far as I know. The plural version is thus appropriate, as two (or more) is the standard minimum ratio of buttocks per person (BPP).

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6qglec
Forgiven, hilarious.....yes im not sure how many people i know with a single buttock!

Old 05-07-2019, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by scottjh9
The requirements to run sdd ids are not rigid... anything over the bare minimum works great...i run version 130 with xp and 138 and 145 on windows 7 32 bit beautifully, all on an older dell d620....i just swap out hard drives for my particular version that i want to use

Thanks for helping on that. I have to get that a priority. As there is only 10 day until MOT test i doubt ill have the chance to get my own up and running so will seek someone local.

However, whilst writing this the part from the breakers just landed so i will give that a try and see. If not then its back to what Brutal has suggested and SDD hook up

Old 05-07-2019, 05:27 AM
Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

The official name for this is ‘occupancy sensor’ the last part number for STRs before vin N13089 was XR856952 this replaced XR837898 and XR844490.
Have you tried contacting the official Jaguar Heritage parts?

See this link to the official on-line Jaguar part catalogue. Use your vin number to select the exact part and then use the ‘contact us‘ link to enquire about a part.

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...ing/front-seat

They may well be able to help you, but be warned this an expensive part. The later one that is still available is £651.51!

beulahjag (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 05:35 AM
Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

See this extract below from the official Jaguar worrkshop manual. This will explain why just changing the sensor will not sort out the problem.

Front Passenger Seat Occupant Classification Sensor
• NOTE: The front seat occupant classification sensor is serviced as a calibrated assembly.
Individual components of the front seat passenger weight sensing system are not serviceable. The system must be replaced as a complete
unit and due to its sophistication, each replacement system requires calibration, so to avoid the need to provide calibration equipment to
each dealer, a pre-calibrated service kit is available. The following components are combined and calibrated during manufacture to form the
front seat passenger weight sensing system:
Passenger seat cushion
Silicone filled bladder
Weight sensing control module
Pressure sensor
The weight sensing control module is mounted under the passenger front seat. The silicone filled bladder is integrated into the seat cushion
and the pressure sensor, which is attached to the bladder, is mounted under the seat
The silicone filled bladder responds to weight changes on the passenger front seat. The pressure sensor responds to these pressure
changes and provides an appropriate signal to the weight sensing control module. The weight sensing control module processes the input
signal received from the pressure sensor and makes it available to the RCM via the controller area network (CAN). In addition, the weight
sensing control module performs self-diagnostic functions on the system, with any malfunctions being notified to the RCM accordingly.
The front seat passenger weight sensing system responds to the occupancy of the passenger front seat in accordance with the following:
Passenger front seat status 'EMPTY' — Passenger air bag status 'OFF' — Passenger Air Bag Deactivation (PAD) indicator 'OFF'
Passenger front seat status 'OCCUPIED' (small occupant) — Passenger air bag status 'OFF' — PAD indicator 'ON'
Passenger front seat status 'OCCUPIED' (large occupant) — Passenger air bag status 'ON' — PAD indicator 'OFF'
The SRS via the RCM, monitors and processes data from the front seat passenger weight sensing system and several other sensors before
making a deployment decision. Malfunction of the sensing system or associated circuits will cause the SRS indicator to illuminate.

beulahjag (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by M-e-l-l-o-w
The official name for this is ‘occupancy sensor’ the last part number for STRs before vin N13089 was XR856952 this replaced XR837898 and XR844490.
Have you tried contacting the official Jaguar Heritage parts?

See this link to the official on-line Jaguar part catalogue. Use your vin number to select the exact part and then use the ‘contact us‘ link to enquire about a part.

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...ing/front-seat

They may well be able to help you, but be warned this an expensive part. The later one that is still available is £651.51!
Wow that is expensive...Thank you for sharing that ive retained that for future use....I've also taken on board what is in your earlier post too...which id initially missed. Thank you.

Last edited by beulahjag; 05-07-2019 at 05:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Code 16 Occupancy seat sensor - Obsolete Part RESOLVED