S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Packs

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coil Packs

I have a cyl 5 misfire. I don't think the plugs/coils have ever been changed, so going to do it anyway. Being you have to remove the intake and throttle body I don't want to have to do this again any time soon.

I'm going to put in the best of the best. I'm a huge NGK fan so I'm going to throw in NGK Laser Iridium plugs.

For the coil packs, I don't want to throw in OEM Ford junk. From Summit, I found the coils for about $40.00 a pop, but more searching got me to eBay where a seller is selling "Multispark Blaster Epoxy DG493" (red) coil packs. Has anyone tried these? The description name is telling me these are MSD coils. I would MUCH rather have these. MSD has always been awesome is whatever I put them into.

What coil packs do you use? Would these be worth a try? I keep seeing posts of "my coil packs again??", so I want to make sure I throw in some nice high grade packs.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts
Old 02-02-2014, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

oem seem to be the best

Old 02-02-2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Norri

Oh ya. I've read this forum till my eyes have bled. lol

But I didn't find anything for comments on these "red" MSD ( I think ) coils. I am not going cheapie $60 a set coil packs and I really don't want OEM. Not because of price, but I just want better quality. I see the write on Accel, but nothing on these Red packs. I was hoping someone has tried these and had some input on them.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

whats wrong with oem, mine had 70k+ on them and the only reason i had to replace 1 was because of water contamination.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Why do you think the ford oems ae "junk"? Also why do you need a better coil? Usually the only time you need to change to a hotter spark is if you are running high compression or boost which needs to be hotter to fire off.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:29 PM

No disrespect, I've just done my own work on everything I own. Motorcraft etc has just not been good to me. Using aftermarket has had better results.

Honestly if it was an easier job to change these I don't I'd mind so much. But this isn't a 20min plug change.

I know Standard makes good packs. I've used them a few other cars. And 70k?...hmm... Maybe I'll just go that route. And you're using just OEM packs?

But at the same time, this Jag means a bit more to me then just a car. My Aunt passed a couple months ago. She left it to me. It took me a while to even accept it...the whole ordeal hit about a week after. I didn't want anything from her, just wished she was still here. So I'm really going all out and restoring this car to it's original beauty. I'm going to keep this in the family. So I've been doing a ton of reading here and really want to go high end and make the car special. I just redid the whole interior and even replaced all int lights with LED. Everything is really coming together very nicely.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

people have far more problems using non oem coils, cheap or expensive , than using oem.

main reason for coil failure is water/oil contamination.

oil from the rocker cover gaskets and water runs down the windscreen, past the wiper cowel, into the engine bay and drips/pours directly onto the coil/plug covers, sometimes filling the coil/plug cavity, so either seal the covers or the windscreen/cowel or both.

i did both and never had the problem again.

*edit*
just seen your in Florida, dont sppose you get much rain there, check for oil contamination and replace the gaskets if needed. (it probably will be)

Last edited by police666; 02-02-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by police666
people have far more problems using non oem coils, cheap or expensive , than using oem.

main reason for coil failure is water/oil contamination.

oil from the rocker cover gaskets and water runs down the windscreen, past the wiper cowel, into the engine bay and drips/pours directly onto the coil/plug covers, sometimes filling the coil/plug cavity, so either seal the covers or the windscreen/cowel or both.

i did both and never had the problem again.

*edit*
just seen your in Florida, dont sppose you get much rain there, check for oil contamination and replace the gaskets if needed. (it probably will be)

Awesome TY!! I think I know what I'm going to do now. And ya, I'm replacing gaskets too. I don't think the car was truly ever maintained. I never really knew her to maintain the car. I changed the oil, filters..etc for her...but still. I have a bunch of stuff already ordered. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

TY again!