Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coils Making Me Crazy (Lucas) RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Coils Making Me Crazy (Lucas) RESOLVED

This is getting old. As everyone knows I had (and maybe this was not the cause- but total coincidental) I over-washed the engine and had coil #3 misfire enough to cause the cylinder to not fire. In drying out type driving I cook the cat.

So I went and had all the plugs changed and coil 3# and #5 (with Lucas and they look smaller that the original denso on the the car replaced the clogged cat on passenger side and replaced up and down o2 sensors (Denso) on that side and everything ran fine for 3 weeks. Then I had misfires on #3 with typical p0303, 1316, 1313,- so they replaced both the plug and coil on #3- I got another cat on passenger side, also replaced the cat on the drivers side and put in new upstream o2 sensor (Denso) for good measure on driver's side.

Today, having had zero problems, I was running along the freeway at a steady 65-70 and all of a sudden went to RP and a short flash or 2 of the CEL.

Was where I needed to be and could tell a cylinder had dropped out and had codes p0305, 1313, 1316 and P0355 (circuit failure on #5).

Drove right to mechanic- only a couple of miles at that point and left with him.

He indicated clearly that the 355 was a coil failure and now with 2 of these- is it due to this silly Lucas part (never has a 0355 on the others at all). Said he would replace with motorcraft/denso part.

Any other cause that one can think of except perhaps a break in the supply voltage circuit or ground, but with 2 of these now in 5-6 weeks and only the replaced ones- could Lucas once again as we know with Jag be the problem?

Any suggestions are appreciated. I had a simple odbII sensor reader and the freeze frame on the hard fault- showed nothing out of whack. Trim (short and long) codes were all at 0 and a minor -3 on one. It happened at 1853 rpm, fuel pressure 55 and everything else normal on the freeze frame. So what gives- any ideas or suggestions. I asked about injectors, but jag mech. says these very rarely have a problem and throw codes.

I am just left with the Lucas coils.

Any sense that one can make out of this.

Thanks as many times before.

Tom in Dallas/Plano
2005 Jag s-type 3.0 76500k

Last edited by jazzwineman; 08-25-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,560 Likes on 3,965 Posts

Why fit unsuitable coils?

Old 08-25-2014, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
I did not fit them. I had the mechanic do such and he got them from the wholesale house (probably Worldpac). He now says if all of the computer test (including the back end ones that see parts of the system we cannot) with our ODBII readers indicate just a coil problem- he was going to replace with Denso /motorcraft- ie the ones originally in the car. Unless there is a bad circuit or ground, I am out of ideas as to what else would cause a p0355 and now with the other one misfiring and replaced- could it be 2 bad ones or just the Lucas nonsense???

Thanks

Tom in Dallas

Last edited by jazzwineman; 08-25-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Do you consider the Lucas coils to be unsuitable in this case. I have a very negative view of Lucas and with cause, but you still think they can make electrical parts to spec.

Tom in Dallas

Old 08-25-2014, 08:33 PM
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Tom,

I have only used Jaguar OES or Motorcraft coils...

I wouldn't consider Lucas or any other make of coils...

Anthony

Old 08-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by abonano
Tom,

I have only used Jaguar OES or Motorcraft coils...

I wouldn't consider Lucas or any other make of coils...

Anthony
Thanks.

I have heard off brands can create a problem. The original ones in mine or what I have had since I bought the car at 31k have a Denso part number on them. The Lucas ones, which I knew were only Lucas after he replaced #3 and showed me the coil are physically smaller around the top than the Denso -OE ones. Might not have as much copper in them or less winding. Trust Lucas to make it a mess.

Anyone else ever use a Lucas coil in an S-Type???

Thanks

Tom in Dallas

Old 08-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,988 Likes on 7,215 Posts

Might not have any bearing whatsoever, but....

We X300 owners have lots of coil problems as well. FWIW (maybe nothing in this case) the X300 original coils are labeled 'Lucas' but are made by Diamond Manufacturing. It's hard finding these true OEM Diamond coils, with or without the Lucas label. Everyone and his brother says he is selling OEM coils, but it just ain't true. A guy in Japan has 'em, though.

You can readily buy a Lucas labeled (and boxed) coil but it isn't made by Lucas and it isn't made by Diamond. It'll look the same as any number of aftermarket replacements, none of which are worth a **** but all of which are sold under well known brand names.

Anyhow......

I guess I'm just blathering away here. I saw 'coil' and my ears perked up ! All I wanted to say was that it's really hard to know what you're buying these days and Lucas is a label-engineer just like everyone else, apparently.

Carry on

Cheers
DD

Old 08-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Might not have any bearing whatsoever, but....

We X300 owners have lots of coil problems as well. FWIW (maybe nothing in this case) the X300 original coils are labeled 'Lucas' but are made by Diamond Manufacturing. It's hard finding these true OEM Diamond coils, with or without the Lucas label. Everyone and his brother says he is selling OEM coils, but it just ain't true. A guy in Japan has 'em, though.

You can readily buy a Lucas labeled (and boxed) coil but it isn't made by Lucas and it isn't made by Diamond. It'll look the same as any number of aftermarket replacements, none of which are worth a **** but all of which are sold under well known brand names.

Anyhow......

I guess I'm just blathering away here. I saw 'coil' and my ears perked up ! All I wanted to say was that it's really hard to know what you're buying these days and Lucas is a label-engineer just like everyone else, apparently.

Carry on

Cheers
DD

That is fine that you have enough knowledge to blather. Based on my case history with this nonsense, I think that a non-lucas option makes sense- such as the original denso-OE that the other 4 are.

I do not even know if I originally had a coil problem with #3 or #5, but when I had them do the plugs, then I had them do those 2 as I had no interest in the learning curve about the manifold. Then those are the 2 that have gone out. What can I say or even blather about??

Thanks
Tom in Dallas

Old 08-26-2014, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,400 Likes on 2,872 Posts

The many hours of online research I did prior to offering on our 2005 S-Type back in December 2008 quickly turned up the issues that Jaguar had with coils in the earlier S-Type models. Jaguar went through multiple designs, multiple suppliers, and the concensus in late 2008 was that they had finally gotten it right by the 2004 or 2005 model years. We were considering a 2005 so I marked this potential problem as "resolved" on my pros vs. cons checklist. Now at more than 84,000 miles, I've never had a coil issue on this car....

That said, I've never washed the engine bay, either. Too many costly electrical issues can result. Your issue may be a direct result of washing your engine bay....

I would stick with Denso coils. With as many coil issues as we continue to read about here, it makes sense to stick with the best. Especially when you must remove the plenum to change half of them on the V6 engines....

Good luck going forward. Once you get better coils in place, I sincerely hope that you'll get to put this problem behind you....

Old 08-26-2014, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
The many hours of online research I did prior to offering on our 2005 S-Type back in December 2008 quickly turned up the issues that Jaguar had with coils in the earlier S-Type models. Jaguar went through multiple designs, multiple suppliers, and the concensus in late 2008 was that they had finally gotten it right by the 2004 or 2005 model years. We were considering a 2005 so I marked this potential problem as "resolved" on my pros vs. cons checklist. Now at more than 84,000 miles, I've never had a coil issue on this car....

That said, I've never washed the engine bay, either. Too many costly electrical issues can result. Your issue may be a direct result of washing your engine bay....

I would stick with Denso coils. With as many coil issues as we continue to read about here, it makes sense to stick with the best. Especially when you must remove the plenum to change half of them on the V6 engines....

Good luck going forward. Once you get better coils in place, I sincerely hope that you'll get to put this problem behind you....
Thanks.

The engine washing is now about 2 months ago- so that issue should be behind now. I really think it is the coils and your indications about earlier problems make sense.

Tom in Dallas

Old 08-26-2014, 10:01 AM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Tom, I'm in Plano as well. Who do you take your Jag to? I've had mine for 8 years and the only thing I've had a problem with was 02 sensors. That was up until a few weeks ago. Changed out a lot of things but didn't fix my problems so I finally broke down and took it in. I was referred to German European in Plano. I think they're short staffed because they've had it since last Monday and still haven't given me a diagnosis on everything that's wrong.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by robbing
Tom, I'm in Plano as well. Who do you take your Jag to? I've had mine for 8 years and the only thing I've had a problem with was 02 sensors. That was up until a few weeks ago. Changed out a lot of things but didn't fix my problems so I finally broke down and took it in. I was referred to German European in Plano. I think they're short staffed because they've had it since last Monday and still haven't given me a diagnosis on everything that's wrong.
I left you a private message. I have not heard good things about that group in Plano. Depending on what is wrong or you think is wrong with the car- I might have 2 recommendations.

Tom in Dallas/Plano

Old 08-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Default THE ANSWER and FIX

Got the car back with new Jag boxed coils from Jag, however that was not the problem actually, but they replaced due to good faith.

There is a "trigger wire" that connects between 3 and 5 and run around the ecm- it has a plastic wrapping type housing around it. He found it by common sense and moving the wire and get an error on his computer on both 3 and 5. Took off the black plastic, saw no breakage, but had a crimp in the wire- opened it up and the wire was disconnected completely with strands that had apparently been touching but were not now. He said the wire was somewhat crusty. Replaced, tested, stressed, computer diag. all good to go and drives fine.

Could have been a problem from the beginning and not the engine washing. Could have been on the edge and when replaced the first time- it came apart or most came apart- so the strands were only barely touching or not, at some point touching at all.

So there you go until the next problem.

Some people minus common sense might have missed it.

Tom in Dallas

Last edited by jazzwineman; 08-26-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,216 Posts

WTG Tom, glad that you found a "common sense wrencher"!

Old 08-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
WTG Tom, glad that you found a "common sense wrencher"!

And on top of it he used to work for Jag- was and is a certified guy for Jag- so he knows Jags quite well. and is a touch OCD- so a good combo

Tom- not now so lost!

Old 08-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Received 6,361 Likes on 5,534 Posts

Glad to here you got to the bottom of it. I've added resolved to the thread title.

The following users liked this post:
jazzwineman (08-26-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 07:19 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzwineman
Got the car back with new Jag boxed coils from Jag, however that was not the problem actually, but they replaced due to good faith.

There is a "trigger wire" that connects between 3 and 5 and run around the ecm- it has a plastic wrapping type housing around it. He found it by common sense and moving the wire and get an error on his computer on both 3 and 5. Took off the black plastic, saw no breakage, but had a crimp in the wire- opened it up and the wire was disconnected completely with strands that had apparently been touching but were not now. He said the wire was somewhat crusty. Replaced, tested, stressed, computer diag. all good to go and drives fine.

Could have been a problem from the beginning and not the engine washing. Could have been on the edge and when replaced the first time- it came apart or most came apart- so the strands were only barely touching or not, at some point touching at all.

So there you go until the next problem.

Some people minus common sense might have missed it.

Tom in Dallas
I don't suppose you can post a picture of that wire? It may help rest of us if not for good reference.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TonyX
I don't suppose you can post a picture of that wire? It may help rest of us if not for good reference.
That would be hard to do.

I asked to see it and the mech. had to use a scope type camera to show it to me and you might be able to touch it barely if the manifold was not off. It is near the back of the passenger side. There were 3wires I could see on the scope. 2 appeared green and one had a black plastic protector on part of it. It was the one that had the black plastic protector on it. Possibly Joycesjag might have a picture of it from his work as he seems to have won the race for getting the plenum/manifold on and off.

Tom in Dallas/Plano

Old 08-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jazzwineman
Possibly Joycesjag might have a picture of it from his work

Funny enough Tom, I was thinking the same thing. I am searching my memory banks and loads of pictures for those (that) wire. Its been quite awhile since I have been in there.

Ut oh, hope I did not jinx myself.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Ok, I have found a couple of pics., nothing that shows what Tom is explaining in detail though.

These are off a fellow members 3.0, that I repaired several years ago.

You can save these pics to your computer and use your picture viewer to enlarge.

Attached Thumbnails Coils Making Me Crazy (Lucas) RESOLVED-upper-intake-gaskets-new.jpg   Coils Making Me Crazy (Lucas) RESOLVED-lower-intake-gaskets-old.jpg  

Quick Reply: Coils Making Me Crazy (Lucas) RESOLVED