S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air/custom intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Air/custom intake

Being a guy coming from Ls1 fbodys and corvettes, I looked the intake over on my 03 STR. Heres my idea. The car already takes induction from the grill in the front and it comes over the rad. A corvette uses a similar setup but puts the filter over the rad in the front of the car. The adapter from the vette also known as the bridge piece looks like it will fit nicely over the rad.

Would be like this:
Straight pipe from the intake and then the bridge piece over the rad, and then a filter not a cone but more of a rectangle behind the mesh grill. The car will pull in cold air and the ariflow will be straight back in the intake.

Anyone try this yet, or thought about this? yes the filter will get wet but this happens with other cars and they no problems. My only concern in the maf since its tubing is built into the airbox lid. What have others done?

Thank you.

Heres a pic of a members car with thier custom intake-filter tho is inside the engine bay as mine would in the grill area.

Custom intake from a member: my intake would go straight to the grill area:

Pics of the bridge piece and air filter:

Ideas, thoughts, comments?

Old 02-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

silverSTR, i think your on to something here. Let me know if you make any progress with new set up. ( let me know if i can be of any help )

Old 02-09-2009, 01:45 PM

One of the 1st things that come to mind are clearance issues , with the hood being closed and the air filter being on top of the raidiator might be a problem.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:02 AM

Yes I was looking at that as well- the intake will have to be an oval type shape, as a round one will prob not clear towards the front. I will have to look at some fitaments, luckily I have access to the vette parts that I will test with. Just have to figure out the Maf sensor. Right now my car is at the Dealer getting a facelift lol, so will have to wait. Thanks for the interest!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:38 AM

You got the hook in my mouth.........keep us posted please.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there was a post a while back on this you may want to look for, there is a Jaguar racing team that has the same set up but they had to move around a lot of parts to make it work.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found it...the post was by WhiteSTR, the racing team was ferlitomotors. If you could somehow replicate this and then schedule me in to get it done it would be appreaciated. I think I attached the pics correctly...

Attached Thumbnails Cold Air/custom intake-91.jpg   Cold Air/custom intake-5.jpg  
Old 02-12-2009, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the pictures. Their intake is made of carbon fiber, mine would just be plastic from a corvette intake not sure what year yet pre 04 or after 04 depending on fitament. Then some fabbing to attach it to the intake inlet since it is oval. They also did not put the filter in the same location, my idea was to put it behind the mesh grill. Car won't be back till tomorrow now, so still waiting.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Your main problem is going to be clearance.. What you would have to do is move your coolant expansion tank to another area inside your engine compartment to allow for the tube to bend over the area behind the grill.. The second problem your going to have is that you need a custom tune or your car is going to take a sh*t.. When your MAF starts reading that much air its not going to know what the hell is going on.. Do a simple test like driving with your airbox lid detached and observe the results.. These cars are just wayyy to sensitive.. Lol once I forgot to snap the lid on my intake box down and it threw a CEL, it really did, that's not a joke.. Snapped it down and vuala reset it and it never came back..

I really don't want to burst your idea bubble.. I'm not that big of a jerk, I just want to put a little FYI out there.. I spent like a month trying to design new feed tubes for the factory intake box (one to the engine, and another to the grill), and after breaking a lot of stuff, the car still ran like crap until I put it back to stock.. Its a shame no one like K&N or Fujitsu will design an intake for our cars, but that's just the price you pay to drive a car they made less than 2,000 of..

Don't just take my word for it though, its better to experiment and get your own results, maybe you'll figure out something I didn't?... Best of luck to you and let me know if you have any other questions.. Eric