S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Collision Repair Photos

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been away for a bit and was playing some catch up on the forums. What a fantastic job you've done! And thanks for the great pics too! I just wish I could make the meet in June too, so I can meet everyone and their S-types....

Keep up the fantastic work!
Rob

Old 05-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks again for all the compliments.

Just off the phone with the Jag dealer. Soonest they can get it in is next Thursday for the SRS diagnostics. That only leaves me Thursday afternoon & Friday to do the paperwork before the Meet. Should still work OK as long as they can get the dang light out!

Old 05-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyman
Thanks again for all the compliments.

Just off the phone with the Jag dealer. Soonest they can get it in is next Thursday for the SRS diagnostics. That only leaves me Thursday afternoon & Friday to do the paperwork before the Meet. Should still work OK as long as they can get the dang light out!
I know you're going to think I'm a nutcase, but bear with me.

What position is the passenger seat in right now?

Move it all the way to the back, start the car. Start moving the seat fwd in increments of 1" towards the front. Turn off, restart. Repeat. - with each movement forwards.

Also try and start the car with you, or someone sitting in passenger seat of the car.

Let me know, if during this procedure the airbag light goes out.

Take care,

George

Old 05-26-2011, 05:14 PM

George, I did try having Laurie sit in the pass side. So we do think somewhat alike. She even bounced up and down a few times. I'd wrap her in aluminum foil and set her in there if I thought it would work.

If you think I think you are nuts, you should have heard the conversation with the service guy at the Jag dealer. He was very polite but I'm sure he thought...Oh great, this idiot has an 03 Jag, bought out of the junkyard and now he's going to bring it here. I'm probably not exactly the clientel they are trying to attract. Probably explains the Thursday next week appointment. My guess is it's his day off.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Default Update

Things are looking up. Got the Verizon service restored this morning and the airbag light is finally out. I've been without internet service since last Saturday.

The SRS light is embarassing for me to admit. But I am so relieved that I don't mind sharing my stupidity. When reinstalling the rear seatbelts, I failed to get the middle connector completely snaped together. I took the car to the dealer and had it scaned ...$110.00 wasted plus fuel and time.

Oh well. I couldn't remember if I slid the red safety latch on that connector but felt that it was snapped. The printout from dealer said "Pretensioner circuit resistance, low on deployment control, row 2 middle position. The tech was blaming the drivers buckle that I had repaired. He said it looks shorter than the pass side. When I read the printout, I put the desription together with my uncertainty about that rear middle belt connector and decide to have another look. I'm pretty good at taking out the rear shelf trim now.

So anyway, It was really hot & humid that day with sweat running in my eyes and I just wanted out of the back of that car ASAP. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

George, thanks for all the sugestions. Turns out you were 100% correct in the first place. The SRS system does indeed clear soft codes itself. But you can't rely on the flash codes being the only problem as I was initially getting the 17. The tech cleared the codes but a couple came back. After they were done it was flashing 36 which is a pretensioner problem. Once I fixed that connector the light went out on intial startup. So if the light is on, there is a problem that still exists somewhere.

I also found out from the tech why the rear belt pretensioners blew in the first place. They were all buckled! I guess to make it look neater or whatever, the belts were all snapped together. According to the tech, if the had been unlatched and retracted, they would not deploy.

So to look on the bright side, I gained some knowledge through all this. Perhaps sharing my experiance/screwup will help someone else in some way. Probably not much call for SRS system service but you never know.

The car is all legal now and on the road. It drives beautifully. Laurie drove it this morning for the first time and was all grins. It had a slight shimmy in the front end. The PO scraped a curb with the right frt and knocked the wheel weight off. I had it rebalanced and it's smooth as glass. The PO had the tires replaced with Bridgestone Serenitys that are dated 08.

So we will be at Linden Hall on Sunday with Lauries Jag. WOO HOO!!

Old 06-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Great to see it done...

Now you need to close the thread with pictures from the show this Sunday...

Congratulations on a beautiful build!

Old 06-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

AWESOME JIM!!!!!!

I can't wait to check it out in person on Sunday. Park it next to mine, we can do a black and white display.

Great suggestion Jeff, I know Docuzzie is bringing some high tech camera equipment and I'll have my lowly Canon on hand to get some good pics too.

P.S. - Screw Verizon!

Old 06-03-2011, 03:21 PM

Yeah I have the 4 mug shots the state required but I figure there should be some better shots at the show.

Today Verizon sent a voice mail about the service being restored....sorry for the inconvienence, we strive to provide exellent service bla bla. No Verizon truck has been out here all week. Guy & Truck showed up, down the street, for an hour this morning & it's fixed. Everytime I called they said it was a major outage & they were working on it. One rep said " Just because you don't see anyone doesn't mean we are not working on it." I asked her if their techs are invisable?

Old 06-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyman
Yeah I have the 4 mug shots the state required but I figure there should be some better shots at the show.

Today Verizon sent a voice mail about the service being restored....sorry for the inconvienence, we strive to provide exellent service bla bla. No Verizon truck has been out here all week. Guy & Truck showed up, down the street, for an hour this morning & it's fixed. Everytime I called they said it was a major outage & they were working on it. One rep said " Just because you don't see anyone doesn't mean we are not working on it." I asked her if their techs are invisable?
Man that's pathetic.... Just thinking out loud here, but the damage may have burned out a switch or something... The bozo's must have been trying to restore service after replacing the hardware without a visit to the pole...LOL...

What is sad is I've had nothing but good experience with Verizon Wireless for years..Do everything with them over the phone or on-line and they have always gone above expectations. Hope they don't get like the division you deal with...

Old 06-04-2011, 07:48 AM

My theory is that they have become a wireless company and don't care to invest on land lines. The maintenence is terrible. Drive around off the interstate and you see cables hanging down, some with trees resting on them. I had a pole on my property, that was theirs, leaning at a 45deg angle. It held the line going to my dad's house. I was concerned because he was 97-98 at the time and had a life alert system that depended on the phone line. It was almost a year of calling, reporting, complaining before they finally set a new pole.

I had problems with the DSL also. Took them three trips to sort that out. The Internet people and Phone Line people kept trying to pass the buck. Verizon shares the same name but completely separate service and suport for it's divisions.

Comcast will be here Monday morning to switch me over. I see their people out working lines all the time. They had a crew with three trucks here Tuesday AM and fixed all their connections. Would have been earlier if not for the weekend holiday which I can understand. I had enough with Verizon.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:33 PM

As sugested, a couple finished shots. There should be more on the Pittsburgh Meet Photos Thread now located in the Jag OT forum. I know the other guys took some of it.

At the show, Laurie let the cat out of the bag on the paint issue I had. The guys were having a bit of fun teasing me. What else are friends for? Wasn't a real problem just me trying to take shortcuts. Once I resolved myself to painting more area and blending, it came out great. I know better but thought I could cheat a little...NOT!

So Laurie has her Jag and is so proud. I think I created a monster though. I never saw her polishing and cleaning on a car as much as this. And if anyone gets too close to it, she's ready for attack mode!!

Thanks for all that followed the thread and all the compliments. If you look at the dates, realize that I wasn't working on it the whole time. The Subaru turned out to be much more of a project than the Jag plus some customer work to pay the bills.

I'll update and close out with a tally of the major expenses for those that asked.

Name:  jag035.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  74.0 KB

Name:  jag036.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  89.0 KB

Name:  jag041.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  69.8 KB
Name:  jag047.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  jag046.jpg
Size:  73.1 KB

Name:  jag043.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  jag045.jpg
Size:  70.2 KB

Last edited by Bodyman; 06-06-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:14 PM

OK. Here's what it comes down to.

Winning bid $4450.00
Auction fees 462.00
New Jag parts
frt reinforcement, brkts, sight shield
RF bumper mldg (blade) 450.00
Used Hood, R Fender and Mesh Grille 800.00
Used Zenon Headlight 350.00
Repair seatbelts and SRS Module 359.00
VehicleScan at Dealer (wasted money,my bad) 110.00
Misc Paint & Material 300.00

Total $7281.00

Of course there were title fees, inspections and some tax for the state. But the look on her face driving it.....PRICELESS!

Old 06-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

WOW! That is incredible! I wish you lived closer so I could get some paint work done.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Michael, the paint work is top notch, FACTORY!!!! Along with all the other work that Jim had to preform...amazing!

I had mentioned to Jim more than a couple times the distance between us....bummer!!

Jim should get 1 more photo in here with the happy happy new owner!!

Again congrats Laurie and Jim!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good Job Man... wow...but prices are lit high...but awesome work...

Old 06-06-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by usmantariq
Good Job Man... wow...but prices are lit high...but awesome work...

Really? Are Jag parts that much cheaper over there? I can get a "new" aftermarket hood for a Grand Prix for 200bucks but this ain't no Pontiac.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Let me tell you that paint job on that car is perfect - Jim is obviously a real pro and it shows. I could tell Laurie was thrilled with how it turned out and I would be too.

His TR8 ain't nothing to sneeze at either! I spent a good half hour at the hotel parking lot drooling over that sucker!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

And a pretty good photographer to boot!
Nice job Jim. Beautiful car.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

It's back in top notch condition , you can't tell that ride was involved in a crash
Fantastic job

Old 06-07-2011, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Bit of a difference from what you started with.

Nice work, the car looks great.

Name:  Jag001.jpg
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  jag046.jpg
Size:  73.1 KB

Quick Reply: Collision Repair Photos