S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Complete Guide Removing and Replacing Your Interior Self-Dimming Mirror HOW TO

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default The Complete Guide Removing and Replacing Your Interior Self-Dimming Mirror HOW TO

The self-dimming interior rear-view mirror on my 2000 S-type at first stopped dimming, and then, several months later, dripped out ink, leaving the mirror with several ugly blotches. The one in my car is not only self-dimming, but is also rain-sensing and a built-in compass. The list price at a dealer is $382 for a replacement.

So, I decided to buy one from a junk yard. Surprisingly, I found several at nearby junk yards. The tricky part is figuring out whether the self-dimming mirror on the car that they have is exactly the same as the one you need. The only way to know for sure, I learned, is by asking for the last six digits of the VIN of the car that the junk yard has. Then, with that information, you can call a dealer parts department, and he can tell you what type of mirror that car came with. I found one for $75. There were also listings on Ebay that were similarly priced.

As an alternative to buying a used mirror, you may be able to get yours repaired by Sybesma’s Electronics, in Michigan (phone: 616-392-6911 or 800-456-4265). This is the company that the manufacturer of the self-dimming mirror, Donnelly (Magna Mirrors), Holland, Michigan (phone 616-786-7300) refers their customers to for repairs. If they are able to repair yours, the cost is $75 plus shipping both ways. They won't tell you on the phone whether they can repair a mirror from a certain make and model of car. Instead, they require a photo of the base of your mirror and further information about your mirror to determine if a repair is possible.

My next problem was removing my existing mirror. Mine has a large black triangular sort of plastic cover at the base where it attaches to the windshield. This is the same for 2000 through and including 2002 models. 2003 and later models have a smaller cover, so the attachment mechanism may be different. Since the mirror attachment point is hidden by the plastic cover, it's not easy to figure out how the mirror is attached.

Well, it turns out that hidden under the black plastic cover is a metal part that has two spring clips. This part fits over a square metal "button" that stays on the windshield. To remove the mirror, I just grabbed the edges of the plastic cover where it meets the windshield, and wedged two of my left fingers and two of my right fingers under the plastic edges. I did this while seated in the passenger seat. I kept pulling and pulling and finally, after a great deal of force, the mirror just popped off. It takes a great deal of force to get the mirror off. So much so, that I cut one of my fingers from the edge of the plastic digging into my finger (even though the plastic isn't sharp). Next, I disconnected the electrical connector by pinching the small release tab.

It's best to remove the mirror from the junk yard car yourself, so you can practice on their car, with no risk of damaging your own car.

Installing the replacement mirror also took a great deal of force. To make it easier, I lubricated the "button" on the windshield and the opposing side on the mirror base with white lithium grease. Next, I reconnected the electrical plug. There is a small slot at the top of the black cover through which I routed the wire. I positioned the mirror onto the button and then pressed with all my might (again, sitting in the passenger seat). When that didn't work, with the mirror in the correct spot, I held it in place with my left land and gave the plastic cover a very solid pounding with the my right hand, and that did locked it in place.

When I turned on the car, the mirror dimmed properly, and the compass lit up, but it always showed only South or Southeast, regardless of the direction I was facing. So, next, I had to recalibrate the compass. Using instructions I found on www.jaguarforums.com, I did the following. The mirror cover on the windshield has 2 small holes. I put a paperclip in the right hand hole to set the zone. I pushed the paper clip in the hole and held it down until the readout on the mirror displayed "zone." You can find your zone on the zone map in link below, or perhaps call a local Jaguar dealer or Donnelly and ask them.

http://www.cipausa.com/Autodim%20Files/36000,%2036100,%2036101,%2036200,%2036201,%2036300 ,%2036301%20Instructions.pdf

After setting the zone I pressed the button in the left hand hole with a paper clip until "cal" was displayed. I then drove in slow small circles until the "cal" display disappeared. I drove in a right-hand circle and it took nearly 4 full circles, and now my compass works correctly.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Nice post. Very helpful.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

wow good post, one for the FAQ's i would say. And also did you get my message about the plastic tools for removing these clips?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by phd12volt
wow good post, one for the FAQ's i would say. And also did you get my message about the plastic tools for removing these clips?
Yes, I did get your message about the plastic spatula-like tools. Those would certainly have saved me from a cut on my finger, if I had had the patience to find and buy them first.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Long Islander
Yes, I did get your message about the plastic spatula-like tools. Those would certainly have saved me from a cut on my finger, if I had had the patience to find and buy them first.
Try Summit Racing. They sell sets of nylon pry tools for interior work. Less than 20 bucks for most. One of those really helpful tools to keep in the box. Got a set and they work great. I got the blue set. Here they are.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...y%20tool&dds=1

Old 06-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

what type of adhesive did you use?

Old 06-25-2009, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by super_jag
what type of adhesive did you use?
No adhesive. Re-read the instructions. All the parts that are glued to the windshield remain intact. You re-attach the mirror to the "button" that was attached to the windshield all along.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you say pull, you mean pull straight out, not pull down? i thought i have to remove the the black plastic cover.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder if its possible to replace the dimming mirror with a more standard model. I have tinted windows on the back and don't really need the dimming model.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by elmostro
when you say pull, you mean pull straight out, not pull down? i thought i have to remove the the black plastic cover.
Yes, pull straight down, parallel to the windshield. The black plastic cover will remain attached to the mirror and the metal attaching point that snaps onto the "button" on the windshield.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Long Islander
Yes, pull straight down, parallel to the windshield. The black plastic cover will remain attached to the mirror and the metal attaching point that snaps onto the "button" on the windshield.
Thanks

Old 08-31-2009, 08:16 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by FloridaJag
I wonder if its possible to replace the dimming mirror with a more standard model. I have tinted windows on the back and don't really need the dimming model.
I have the standard mirror. I'm pretty sure they just swap out. If you want, I'll trade ya.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:36 AM

Which DIRECTION did you PULL the black housing?