Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Computer screen/Heat and AC control

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Computer screen/Heat and AC control

Hello my friends.

Today, the center screen was blacked out on my STR. I have no control over navigation, heat, fan, AC, or defrosting options. Stereo is fine if I use the CD player below the screen (need the screen to operate the trunk multi-CD, obviously).

The small LCD screen below the main color screen which registers temperature is flashing "C1" and "50" or "51" alternately, and it's blowing low heat from the vent.

There are no codes. I cannot find any posts that resemble these symptoms.

I'd appreciate any input or advice on the fuse number and location for this region if you think it's worth changing.

2003 STR 44K.

Many thanks!

Old 10-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

There are posts, but the Search feature rejects short things so ignores 51 etc. Really useless.

I put a detailed post about How To Search Better (General Tech I think) that will allow it.

Ah yes https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...le-site-60209/

The following users liked this post:
Scottish Chap (10-12-2014)
Old 10-12-2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
There are posts, but the Search feature rejects short things so ignores 51 etc. Really useless.

I put a detailed post about How To Search Better (General Tech I think) that will allow it.

Ah yes https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...le-site-60209/
Thanks. After using every permutation I could think of on this search board and then manually scrolling through to no avail, I did actually find an old post of yours which suggested using google. I found three posts with my exact problem and the following solutions:

1. Ejecting the CD from the drive in the boot and then reinserting, allowing a reboot. Two people with this issue noted the CD would not eject and they had to manually remove the DVD player to get to the CD, and then the problem resolved on re-installation. My CD ejects easily and goes back in. No resolution. This is not my underlying issue.

2. Disconnect the negative terminal for a minute, then reconnect to allow a reboot. I tried. No difference. Same LCD screen error message.

3. Look for the fuse that drives the DVD player/navigator/AC/Heat etc. and replace. I do not know where this is (do you?), but will try it if I know which fuse to pull. I have a 2003 STR wiring diagram at home but I am stuck in the middle of nowhere for 4 days. I do have extra fuses with me.

4. Clean the DVD player with a CD cleaner (not tried this yet).

Some of the above were found in the British Jag forums:

Touchscreen broken? (error C1 50 51)

Any other suggestions?

Old 10-12-2014, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Usual fix is to insert a DVD with the firmware (unlike the DVD you likely have now) or a newer disc (which again has the firmware).

Try Search with LOADING.KWI if I recall the name right.

JTIS has Electrical Guide which has fuse etc info and is free download.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Default In case it helps anyone else...

For anyone that loses AC/heat/navigation control with the LCD screen error codes: "C1, 50, 51", I used the following algorithm with some success this evening:

{nav/dvd unit is in the left side of the boot, you can check the display/touchscreen with ignition key in either power on or engine running position and use this button sequence on the display unit;
NAV & Right Temp. Up, NAV & Right Temp. Up, NAV & Right Temp. Up, Audio, Audio, Audio
It might take a couple of attempts!
From this Display Inspection Menu you can check all the buttons work and soft keys work, 50 51 points to nav/dvd unit requiring an update/reboot from dvd}

I was able to enter the diagnostic mode then get full access to all controls. Other than deleting all my stored locations in the navigation system which is annoying, it has returned to normal even after multiple engine shutdowns. It's clearly more likely a software issue that spontaneously manifested rather than a fuse or electrical issue. Will keep you posted.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottish Chap
For anyone that loses AC/heat/navigation control with the LCD screen error codes: "C1, 50, 51", I used the following algorithm with some success this evening:

{nav/dvd unit is in the left side of the boot, you can check the display/touchscreen with ignition key in either power on or engine running position and use this button sequence on the display unit;
NAV & Right Temp. Up, NAV & Right Temp. Up, NAV & Right Temp. Up, Audio, Audio, Audio
It might take a couple of attempts!
From this Display Inspection Menu you can check all the buttons work and soft keys work, 50 51 points to nav/dvd unit requiring an update/reboot from dvd}

I was able to enter the diagnostic mode then get full access to all controls. Other than deleting all my stored locations in the navigation system which is annoying, it has returned to normal even after multiple engine shutdowns. It's clearly more likely a software issue that spontaneously manifested rather than a fuse or electrical issue. Will keep you posted.
I did similar to ScottishChap for another issue, and this for me too - worked just marvelously!! ...Except that now for some reason - no matter what else I do, or wherever I look/try throughout all available menus... My "Audible (NAV) stored points" no longer alert (chime).

I've gone in and created new ones, and set the audible chime option for it (very handy for passing landmarks on a regular route to remind you to look for something... or need to be moved over in a lane prior to exit, etc.) - but still, no matter what I do - this functionality just plain simple seems "GONE". -

Anyone got a quick fix to this as well?
TIA.

Cheers,
-Grant