S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering 07 S-Type R

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 08:47 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Considering 07 S-Type R

There may be a thread related to this question, but what made those here to decide on an S-Type vs XJ8? I have been looking at both (07-09) and personally love the look of the S-Type over the XJ8. If there are 2 vehicles, one an 07 XJ8 base and the other an 07 S-Type R, both with 75K miles, 1 or 2 responsible owners, both offered at say $9K, which do you choose and why? Thank you!

Old 12-14-2020, 07:41 AM
Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

Well, if it is performance, brakes, and handling then there is no choice the STR will leave a normally aspirated XJ8 for dead!

The S-type is a smaller car, and this is one reason I went for this rather than an XJ Super V8 as my wife was not keen on the larger XJ40 that we already had.

In addition, the STR’s were far better value than the supercharged 4.2L XJ’s and the normally aspirated XJ V8’s did not have the performance I wanted.

Perhaps it is best to look at a normally aspirated XJ8 as a luxury car that goes ok but an STR is a high-performance car with some luxury.

Do not get me wrong the XJ8 will get you there in style and comfort, but with the STR you will have a big smile on your face getting there!

Mellow

Last edited by M-e-l-l-o-w; 12-14-2020 at 07:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JagV8 (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 10:45 AM

I too favor the midsized attribute (and looks) of the S-Type over the full sized XJ8. Given your answer, since I’m not performance-motivated for a daily sedan, might an 07 V8 S-Type satisfy my desire for comfort combined with reasonable performance? Or does it fall too short in the comfort category? In summary, is the S-Type’s main virtue the R’s performance over the XJ8 but otherwise out of its league comfort wise? If the XJ8 is a 10/10 comfort wise, what are the STR and Base V8 relative to that?

Keep in mind here, my current daily daily driver is a 2 door 09 VW Rabbit so a Maytag washing machine box would be an upgrade luxury-wise and I’ve never owned a sedan. My daily drivers, starting back in the dark ages: Mazda Miata, Lexus SC300 (5 spd), Saab 900 convertible, Volvo C70, VW Eos (sold because my poor Greyhound didn’t fit in the back seat), VW Rabbit. My point is, a 4 door Ford Taurus might potentially feel luxurious given my daily driver history....

Old 12-15-2020, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 635 Likes on 498 Posts

If I recall correctly, the interior dimensions for the S-type are not all that different than the SWB XJ of the same era; that resulted in the unanticipated erosion of sales of the larger car when the S-type was released. I gather the management at Jaguar was not thrilled by this as the profit margins on the larger car were greater...

Old 12-15-2020, 09:43 AM

Ok, so comfort is not an issue. What about the V6? Quiet enough and peppy enough over the V8?

Old 12-15-2020, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

If you like peppy, get a V8. I just got an STR rather than wonder

Old 12-15-2020, 03:27 PM

I completely understand. For perspective, I’m content, even thrilled, performance-wise driving my very analogue 69’ XKE FHC. I have a 91 Nissan Figaro to provide drop top putt-putt motoring. For daily drives running errands and use in inclement weather (rain / snow / blistering hot), I’m seeking a quiet cabin that is as capable performance wise as I consider my 5 cylinder VW Rabbit yet not whiny like most 4 cylinder normally aspirated cars. For example, my neighbor has a new 4 cylinder Mercedes SUV, CL something that whines like crap and ruins the cabin ambiance. Would a V6 meet my expectations as described above, in the opinion of those who have experience? Thank you! I will endeavor to drive one ASAP.

Old 12-19-2020, 04:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default walked that path

When I set out to replace my manual V70R Volvo wagon I thought the Jaguar I needed was an S-Type R. After nine intense months of research, test drives and searching I compromised to a near perfect 4.2 S-Type with exceptionally low miles. The S-Type's size and handling where much closer to the 70's model XJ6 SWB (with Corvette engine) I once owned owned and which defined what Jaguar was for me than the present day XJs which I find more "serious" in nature and Mercedes-like. I considered a few X-Types along the way but found them not quite what I sought.

I am quite pleased with my 4.2 but feel the 3.0 S-Type probably would have been the best choice. The power is surprisingly acceptable. There was nothing to complain about. In contrast the exceptional and heavily modified Crossfire SRT6 roadster I bought to replace my TVR was a bad fit. High quality and serious fastness do not compensate for a lack of fun. I can't help but feel that the regal supercharged XJs would be less fun than the more humble S-Type.

Good luck in your hunt.

Originally Posted by Smonop
I completely understand. For perspective, I’m content, even thrilled, performance-wise driving my very analogue 69’ XKE FHC. I have a 91 Nissan Figaro to provide drop top putt-putt motoring. For daily drives running errands and use in inclement weather (rain / snow / blistering hot), I’m seeking a quiet cabin that is as capable performance wise as I consider my 5 cylinder VW Rabbit yet not whiny like most 4 cylinder normally aspirated cars. For example, my neighbor has a new 4 cylinder Mercedes SUV, CL something that whines like crap and ruins the cabin ambiance. Would a V6 meet my expectations as described above, in the opinion of those who have experience? Thank you! I will endeavor to drive one ASAP.

Last edited by MiamiTVR; 12-19-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:42 PM

Thank you for your insight MiamiTVR, much appreciated and valued. I located a nice 08 S-Type V6 example with 40K miles but am disappointed at the asking price ($3K above KBB dealership “good” rating market value). I can’t justify pulling the string with the knowledge that while I’m not in the market for a 07-08 XJ8, cars with moderate mileage (60-75K) are in similar territory price-wise. Amusingly, I found a local 03 S-Type R, 12K miles, asking price of $28K, good luck with that, better be gold bullion in the trunk.. Also saw an 08 XJ8 base, 30K miles, asking price of $24K; I think it comes with a small condo on Maui. Since I was in my 20’s I’ve heard the time worn, “You can’t use pricing guides, it’s what the market will bear”... Oh is that so? Then why does every dealership since Henry Ford sold his first Quadricycle in 1896, offer ocean bottom value using the little black book? Exception - the car is so overpriced they pump up trade-in value and the inexperienced purchaser thinks they pulled a fast one... Ok, I’m done whining.... I truly do appreciate all the insight... On the bright side, while searching I saw a nice looking one owner 2010 XKR with 115K miles, all records, including the 120k mile service completed and the asking price is aligned with the KBB value, imagine that. That Honda Accord is looking better every day... well, not really...

Old 12-20-2020, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 635 Likes on 498 Posts

Almost three years ago, I went looking for an S-type. I did quite a bit of research and decided on the 3.0 litre V-6; the engine is generally considered pretty much bullet-proof and delivers more than adequate performance. Freeway on-ramps are no issue and the car will happily cruise at 90+ where such speeds are tolerated. The car that I settled on had just turned 100K when I purchased it from a used car dealer and was clearly a very well maintained dealer trade-in that had been wholesaled out for being too old to sit on the new car dealer's lot. The car came equipped with the "premium package" which roughly equivalent to the SE+ in Jaguar's home market. I checked the CarFax report on the vehicle (it had a very complete maintenance and location history with no accidents) and I also noted that the original window sticker had been neatly folded and placed in the Owner's documentation packet; it was, all in all, a very well maintained car at about half-life mileage-wise.

I have put 24K miles on the car since that time. The engine still burns no oil and the fuel economy is around 19 MPG in "mixed" driving and 26+ on the highway. I do not drive sedately and the V-6 is up to the task, IMHO. I personally would not be all that afraid of a higher mileage example, IF it has a good maintenance history and careful prior ownership. I would suggest that you drive a few examples and see if the 3.0 meets your needs. In parting, I might point out that in reading these fora, lesser driven cars are often more problematical than cars that have seen reasonable regular use. Good luck in your search.

Last edited by S-Type Owner; 12-20-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:06 AM

Hey S-Type, in viewing your post along with additional posts provided, and in speaking with the guys who work on my E-Type, I’m convinced that the V6 is solid and would serve my needs. I also completely agree with you regarding driving one and am aligned on the mileage point; cars were meant to be driven, sitting for extended periods is the opposite of beneficial. The principle advantages I see in pursuing a lower milage example are a solid body and interior. Mechanical parts (engine replacement an exception!) can be replaced and age alone results in wear, i.e., radiator, suspension overhaul, motor mounts, valve & trans gaskets, water pump, thermostat and the like. I purchased my 91 Nissan Figaro with 35k miles and replaced exactly what I described above for about $2k total. I now have a fine example (pic for those unfamiliar with the washing machine looking little drop top tub). All that said, I’m not opposed to a well cared for higher milage car with records, but those are not easy to find as we likely have all experienced.

S-Type Owner (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

Originally Posted by Smonop
I’m convinced that the V6 is solid and would serve my needs.
Needs or wants? Big difference, so make sure what would really scratch your itch, so to speak.

This has been an interesting discussion, and I didn't have much to add, but has that ever stopped me?

I'll second the general observations that the V6 is solid, reliable, and has adequate power. I've got about 330,000 miles on my '02 V6 and it just goes and goes and goes, with minimal upkeep. 25+ MPG, too.

But as for power? The V6 has enough for my cautious cranky old man driving style, but I certainly wouldn't call it overpowered. The NA V8 obviously has more power. The supercharged Type R? That's another level all together, a fire-breathing beast that shares some sheet metal, the ash tray, and a few other incidental bits.

Considering you were initially looking for a Type R, I wonder if a V6 would really fit the bill for you. The V6 is an afternoon glass of warm milk at a retirement center before settling in to watch Matlock. The Type R is more like doing Jello shooters at 3 am during a lap dance at a strip club.

Last edited by kr98664; 12-20-2020 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:24 PM
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

There's always room for Jello!

kr98664 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 11:59 PM

I looked at the STR solely because the 07 example I clicked on was a one owner car offered at $9K with 73K miles, all records; however, the more I learned in this thread, from receiving PM’s, researching further and combined with an awareness of my car ownership history, realized “I’ve been there done that” with respect to R type performance and neither want or need such in a sedan or Grand Touring car. I’m searching for a comfy, quiet car that has an air of elegance and can get out of it’s own way but is devoid of gas guzzling anabolic steroid torque. I’m fairly certain I’ve ruled out the XJ8 (too big for my needs, i.e., it’s me and my cat) and XK (07-14 - used to appeal to me, no longer does). Like Goldilock’s porridge, the S-Type V6 seems just right... though I wouldn’t sneeze at a well maintained 06 XK8.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:16 PM

It is kinda a sad realization the fold down back seat offered in the NA but not the R played a part in my decision. There are big things to haul sometime.

I completely agree with the 3 am Jello shots analogy. Nothing beats a supercharger.

Originally Posted by kr98664
Needs or wants? Big difference, so make sure what would really scratch your itch, so to speak.

This has been an interesting discussion, and I didn't have much to add, but has that ever stopped me?

I'll second the general observations that the V6 is solid, reliable, and has adequate power. I've got about 330,000 miles on my '02 V6 and it just goes and goes and goes, with minimal upkeep. 25+ MPG, too.

But as for power? The V6 has enough for my cautious cranky old man driving style, but I certainly wouldn't call it overpowered. The NA V8 obviously has more power. The supercharged Type R? That's another level all together, a fire-breathing beast that shares some sheet metal, the ash tray, and a few other incidental bits.

Considering you were initially looking for a Type R, I wonder if a V6 would really fit the bill for you. The V6 is an afternoon glass of warm milk at a retirement center before settling in to watch Matlock. The Type R is more like doing Jello shooters at 3 am during a lap dance at a strip club.

Old 12-25-2020, 03:59 PM
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiTVR
It is kinda a sad realization the fold down back seat offered in the NA but not the R played a part in my decision. There are big things to haul sometime.

I completely agree with the 3 am Jello shots analogy. Nothing beats a supercharger.
If it's not too late go back and get the S-Type R. On my 2005 STR the rears seats did fold down. Just needed to remove the bolted-in bulkhead stiffener and uncover the hidden release cables. The plastic brackets holding the release cable knob to the top of the trunk was missing but that can be secured with a zip tie. I carried lots of oversized items there with the seats folded.

Old 12-25-2020, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Both back seats in my 06 STR fold down too

Old 12-28-2020, 02:24 PM

I accept I may have misremembered on the fold down seats. The last R I was considering had the upgraded Luxury interior. That may have had something to do with it. I remember being surprised .