S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Constant hot air blowing through vents

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 12:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Constant hot air blowing through vents

Hey guys. There is constantly hot air blowing through my vents. It’s not blowing as it’s forced by a fan or compressor. But it’s blows as hard as the speed i’m driving. For instance it’s greater the faster i drive. At a stop it’s not blowing. Also when i have tried to turn the heat of the vehicle on I believe it’s not getting any hotter which it should than the air that’s constantly coming through. The one plus is engine is driving cool. But the vents are always closed and feet get hot lol. Only started doing this a couple weeks ago. Is my DCCV closed or stuck open ?

Old 04-01-2020, 12:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

And no the climate setting for circulating air is not on. Although some cars have this setting automatically for air to come in from outside with a/c off. But it’s cool air not hot usually

Old 04-01-2020, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Could also be stuck part open.

Sounds like it probably needs replacing but you could follow the often-posted process to diagnose fully.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,034 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by James Finney
There is constantly hot air blowing through my vents. It’s not blowing as it’s forced by a fan or compressor. But it’s blows as hard as the speed i’m driving.
It's possible you've got two issues present at the same time, airflow and heat.

1) I'm not sure what to tell you about the volume of air coming into the cabin. I played around with the cabin airflow on my '02 this morning. 40F ambient air temperature. With OFF selected on the control panel, I definitely had some cold air entering the cabin, but it didn't seem to be from any specific path, nor was it very strong, even at 70MPH. It was as if the defrost, dash face, and floor ducts all had some airflow at the same time. ASFAIK, there is no real way to turn off all outside air, other than to manually select RECIRC, but I think even that reverts back to fresh after a certain time interval. The basic premise is to always supply some fresh air to the occupants, whether the HVAC system is on or off. If concerned about this airflow and where it's going, manually select high fan speed and play with the buttons across the bottom of the panel to manually direct the airflow. If the airflow responds as commanded, the various door actuators are working correctly.

2) Luckily for you, I AM absolutely positively sure what to tell you about the heat from the ducts. Even when the HVAC system is off, fresh air still enters the cabin and it all passes through the heater core, whether heat is commanded or not. Follow the directions here in post #2 to test your Dual Climate Control Valve, which controls coolant flow through the heater core. Most likely it is dumping heat in the cabin, even if commanded off. Do either one of the tests to make sure the DCCV is responding properly. The DCCV has two internal valves that are spring-loaded open to provide heat by default in case of any control failure. Run those tests to determine if the valve has failed or it isn't receiving its command:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ol-how-185002/