S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant

Hi everyone. Can anyone advise how to make your own coolant (of course with Anti freeze) for Jag S. I know it sounds really simple question for majority of you guys, but every time I visit halfords (Car spares place) they just say buy their own orange ready mixed stuff, but I want to have a go at doing my own and I am sure it will save me a few bob, but of course I dont know the correct consitancy or even what to buy as they wont tell me. Any help ?? Thanks. PS The bought one is orange but I guess it doesnt matter what colour a home made one comes out as as long as its correct consistancy, does it ?

Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you're on dangerous ground there. Anti Freeze blending is best left to people who know what they are doing. Decent good quality A/F is money well spent.
Just my opinion.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:12 AM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag666
Hi everyone. Can anyone advise how to make your own coolant (of course with Anti freeze) for Jag S. I know it sounds really simple question for majority of you guys, but every time I visit halfords (Car spares place) they just say buy their own orange ready mixed stuff, but I want to have a go at doing my own and I am sure it will save me a few bob, but of course I dont know the correct consitancy or even what to buy as they wont tell me. Any help ?? Thanks. PS The bought one is orange but I guess it doesnt matter what colour a home made one comes out as as long as its correct consistancy, does it ?
Yes color really does matter. Once again - What year/engine do you have?? Please always post this info as it is so important.

I'm trying to interpret your question here and what I come away with is you're really asking what concentration "the correct" coolant should be, and the answer is about 50%. So, if you're going to mix your own from a concentrate use distilled water (not mineral or tap) and mix half and half.

Last edited by steve11; 11-17-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Steve11. Sincere apologies for not posting year/engine etc details, Shows how ignorant I am, I really didnt think them details mattered on this subject so my apologies. Its a 2003 S Type 2.5 Auto. Dont know what else info your require, ohhh maybe you need to know that its petrol not diesel. You mention 50% concentration, so can one buy concentrated Anti Freeze ? I ask because my local store will not give me any advice at all. In response to Victor, Thanks for your advice Victor and I do appreciate it, but I hate being taken for a mug, I dont mind companies or even garages making a small profit from me but I hate them financially taking the P***. I mean Jaguar mechanics charging £103 per hour just for labour is just extortion in my eyes. I am just one of those ppl that also like to learn and yes save money, I wonder if I am half scottish LOL

Old 11-17-2010, 11:10 AM
ud

OK, in your circa/model Jaguar uses an OAT (organic acid technology) coolant formula. OAT is typically ORANGE in colour in the commercial market. OAT should NOT be mixed with any other coolant formulas. It is typically bottled in one of two ways - full concentrate or already 50/50 mixed with water. Choose either one for your convenience as experience shows it is about the same cost/inconvenience to buy the distilled water for the full concentrate as it is to buy the premixed straight up. Also, do NOT put anything else in the coolant mixture!! No additives, etc.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:19 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag666
Thanks Steve11. Sincere apologies for not posting year/engine etc details, Shows how ignorant I am, I really didnt think them details mattered on this subject so my apologies. Its a 2003 S Type 2.5 Auto. Dont know what else info your require, ohhh maybe you need to know that its petrol not diesel. You mention 50% concentration, so can one buy concentrated Anti Freeze ? I ask because my local store will not give me any advice at all. In response to Victor, Thanks for your advice Victor and I do appreciate it, but I hate being taken for a mug, I dont mind companies or even garages making a small profit from me but I hate them financially taking the P***. I mean Jaguar mechanics charging £103 per hour just for labour is just extortion in my eyes. I am just one of those ppl that also like to learn and yes save money, I wonder if I am half scottish LOL
OK. If you're asking what strength to add to the system, 50/50. My 2004 S type uses the Orange stuff. Buy 1 litre but buy a reputable brand, mix it BEFORE you add it to the system.

A Yorkshireman is like a Scotsman but without the generosity.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:06 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I can only speak traditionally here, and with an electrical bias. If you have two dis-similar metals firmly screwed together (like aluminium and iron) with an electrolyte covering then (water plus dissolved substances) you WILL get corrosion. Ship's steel propellor bearing shafts run in phosphor-bronze bearings, covered in salty sea water. If the makers didn't fix 'sacrificial' zinc anodes around the bearing, the steel body around there would rot away. It's the same with cyl. head bolts/screws, they will seize/freeze unless the antifreeze has the appropriate corrosion inhibitor. And since you don't know exactly what metals are involved (e.g. there could be brass somewhere) I would say it will pay in the long run to use the correct formulation for the job. In UK, one third corrosion inhibiting antifreeze has been regarded as the right mix. In cold places like Canada and Russia, half and half is more usual.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:10 AM
ud

Hi Leedsman,

Good info. Just so there is no confustion for the OP, the OAT coolant formula spec. contains all of the correct corrosion inhibitors in its additive package without needing to add any additional additives. Dissimilar metals is not as large an issue in our cars as compatibility with non-metalic components such as gaskets, seals and sealants. From MY 2000 on, with 99 being a split year, Jaguar has designed the coolant system and its components to be compatible the an OAT formula, the concentration of which is more related to anticpated ambient air temps. A 50/50 mix has a freeze temperature around -40F, as I recall, which usually covers most driving conditions year round.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  19.3 KB

Wow, interesting thread.....I just buy mine pre mixed AND I'm Scottish

Just for the record......any more references to the Scots in a negative light, or anything about them being tight, will result in an IMMEDIATE and lifetime ban

In my experience th further South you go the tighter they become

Old 11-19-2010, 10:49 AM
ud

Well, since I'm on borrowed time already, I'll be particularly careful not to speak of the Scottish in the pejorative.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the concentrated version part number is jlm209722 for a liter bottle and for a 5 liter bottle is jlm209723. also like everyone else says mix it 50/50. from what i understand whatever coolant you use it must be phosphate free. mixing your coolant with noncompliant coolant turns it into some nasty gel like mess. hope this helped.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Received 2,259 Likes on 1,843 Posts

Antifreeze (coolant) has a lot more to it than just protection from freezing or boiling over. There are additives to reducing foaming/cavitation, lubricants for seals, stabilizers for pH, on and on.

You'd spend a lifetime trying to come up with something half as good and probably spend ten times as much doing it.

Buy either the premixed stuff or just dilute the full strength equivalent. The ratios are listed on the back of the container.