S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Overflow Tank question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Got the new tank today. Drained the tank and replaced then refilled coolant. All good now. The place I got it from apparently sells the actual Jaguar part. I thought it was aftermarket but it came in a huge box and within that box was a Jaguar labeled box with a Jaguar stamped overflow tank. So not too bad for how much I paid for it. Hopefully that will be the only time I have to go through this and at least now the slow leak I did have before it broke is gone.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
Got the new tank today. Drained the tank and replaced then refilled coolant. All good now. The place I got it from apparently sells the actual Jaguar part. I thought it was aftermarket but it came in a huge box and within that box was a Jaguar labeled box with a Jaguar stamped overflow tank. So not too bad for how much I paid for it. Hopefully that will be the only time I have to go through this and at least now the slow leak I did have before it broke is gone.
Excellent news! Now you can test out how she runs finally with all that new stuff put in Out of curiosity which vender did you buy the expansion tank from?

Old 03-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Are you willing to experiment with the old tank???

Take a 1/4" B arbed Airline fitting, and a drill bit a BIT smaller than the fitting. Then get yourself a good two part liquid epoxy. Cut the nipple completely off. Take a drill and ream the whole so it fits half way across the barb. Scuff plastic with 100 grit paper. put a bit of epoxy under where the fitting is going to go, insert ****** fitting. add 2 layers of epoxy. Allow to cure for full 24 hrs.

The one in my X-Type has been like that for 2.5 years because it broke on a weekend. I got the new tank, and The repair held, so I deided to get cavalier and see how long it would last. Still going.

Take care,

George

Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Actually I am gonna hold on to it cause I'll be taking a CAD class for my engineering degree so I'm gonna use it to try and design an aluminum one that will fit in the stock location and then find a welding shop to build it so I wont have to worry about breaking it ever again. Maybe I can use it for a school project or something.

jag79 you got pm.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
Actually I am gonna hold on to it cause I'll be taking a CAD class for my engineering degree so I'm gonna use it to try and design an aluminum one that will fit in the stock location and then find a welding shop to build it so I wont have to worry about breaking it ever again. Maybe I can use it for a school project or something.

jag79 you got pm.
I'll draw it in cad for you if you can find a fabricator...

You want autocad or solidworks?

Take care,

George

Old 03-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

PLUMSAUCE MADE ME REAL EXCITED THERE FOR A MOMENT! I still had my tank from my 2004 XJ8 4.2L I ran out to the garage to see if I could make it up as a spare. I can't see any way to get the valve into place for the air valve repair. Also I noticed that my original tank is very tuff. That might be part of the problem, that small piece can't move enough and so it breaks. I am thinking about something to prevent movement of the nipple on this new tank.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Glendoramike
PLUMSAUCE MADE ME REAL EXCITED THERE FOR A MOMENT! I still had my tank from my 2004 XJ8 4.2L I ran out to the garage to see if I could make it up as a spare. I can't see any way to get the valve into place for the air valve repair. Also I noticed that my original tank is very tuff. That might be part of the problem, that small piece can't move enough and so it breaks. I am thinking about something to prevent movement of the nipple on this new tank.
So then you'd prefer tough titty?

Old 03-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
I'll draw it in cad for you if you can find a fabricator...

You want autocad or solidworks?

Take care,

George
Probably Autocad I'll double check my course outlook and let you know. I dont really remember off the top of my head which one I will be using in my class.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also broke off the nipple on the coolent Tank.
I found a small metal tube, cut it about a inch long and used it to sleeve the inside of the broken nipple to the tank. I did have to drill the hole a little bigger so the tube went in snug without being to tight as to crack the tank.
This fix has already lasted two years.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lk2cmp2
I also broke off the nipple on the coolent Tank.
I found a small metal tube, cut it about a inch long and used it to sleeve the inside of the broken nipple to the tank. I did have to drill the hole a little bigger so the tube went in snug without being to tight as to crack the tank.
This fix has already lasted two years.
That's how it should have been made in the first place. I've seen other tanks with that sort of reinforcement in them.

Cheap parts **** off owners and give the marque a bad image.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,529 Likes on 3,939 Posts

A better question: are the cars in current production (XF, new XJ, new XK if that applies for the XK?) fitted with tanks that don't and won't do this?

Old 11-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
A better question: are the cars in current production (XF, new XJ, new XK if that applies for the XK?) fitted with tanks that don't and won't do this?
Yes, that and why aren't the replacement tanks an improved design?

I haven't heard anything to make me believe that they are.

But maybe we've reached this stage?

Old 11-03-2011, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,529 Likes on 3,939 Posts

The replacements for the S-Types are likely to be as bad as the ones fitted (other than being new) because I don't think a new kind has been developed for our cars. And, if it hasn't already been developed then it's very unlikely to be, given that our cars are no longer being made or developed.

I think the only reason this might change (for the S-Type) is if jag cannot get supplies. I understand that happened with the rear diff (not too sure what led to a new one but something like bad quality or non-availability).

Maybe a successful class action would force a redesign but I cannot imagine any action succeeding.

(Isn't this obviously the case...)