S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant reservoir tank replacment

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got done replacing the sensor but i still have that stupid message in there. What else can i check for that low coolant warning ?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:23 PM
GGG
Received 16,857 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I've checked the Parts Manual and there's several different S-Type Expansion Tanks depending on model.

Add your vehicle details and you'll have a better chance of an accurate response.

Graham

Old 08-03-2012, 06:45 PM

2005 s type 3.0 base, USA Variant.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:20 PM

i just went out and emptied my reservoir tank. Then filled it with the Preston dexcool and did not mix any distilled water before doing so i rotated the sensor couple of times. After doing that it stopped giving me the warning sign. YAY!!!!. Now only concern is when i bought the coolant i thought it was 50/50 but after pouring it in i realized its not 50/50 bit straight up coolant, is that going to do any harm ?

Old 08-04-2012, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Your first & later parts seem to imply you do & don't think it's pre-diluted. Which?

Old 08-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Received 6,314 Likes on 5,501 Posts

I wouldn't worry, it will just increase your fluids concentration.

The following users liked this post:
somedude (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Your first & later parts seem to imply you do & don't think it's pre-diluted. Which?
Its not diluted.

Originally Posted by Norri
I wouldn't worry, it will just increase your fluids concentration.
Thanks.

And I guess I got happy and excited way too early. I let the car rest for the night and drove this morning and the light came on again.
I put the heater on hi and drove around town, then again put it on low and drove another round, will that help any?

Is there anywhere else I need to check what is triggering this error message?
Before changing the sensor it was solid red light always on, but looks like now its randomly coming on.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:45 PM

Keep the heater on high and top up as needed, there is a bleed screw on the top of the reservoir.
Take a close look at the hoses at the front of the engine around the thermostat area.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,371 Likes on 1,869 Posts

The sensor does get gunked up over time. After what you have done maybe a new sensor will fix it? They are not that expensive.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:57 AM

I ordered my self a new tank with the sensor as just the sensor I bought did not seem to work and my bleed screw on the top striped and stated to leak from there. I was looking at how to take the tank out and I misplaced the "C" clip from the hose on the bottom, anywhere I could get just that clip and what is the called anyone knows?

Old 09-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Unhappy

I owns S-type 2.5 V6,02.I have a problem with coolant system, during the driving the car everything is perfect,but when I stop i switch off the engine coolant leak underneath to the lid coolant reservoir. Does anyone knows what is the problem?

Old 09-13-2012, 07:29 PM

You will need a new tank, it'll be the nipple on the small hose that is cracked.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Default Related question

I realize this thread is a bit dated now, but if anyone sees this and has an answer please let me know.

The coupling at the other end of the vent hose has snapped off on our vehicle. NOT the reservoir coupling. Does anyone know what this part is? It appears to be a 90 degree fitting the connects in to the top radiator hose. It has snapped right at the hose so the nipple part and bend is still connected by hose clamp to the vent hose and the rest is in the bigger hose.

Help?

Old 12-19-2012, 12:45 PM

Take a look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ir-hose-86654/
You will need to get the top hose assy.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Received 2,636 Likes on 1,816 Posts

You will need to replace the upper hose as the bleed screw is not a separate service part. The part has been superceded depending on the vehicle VIN.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Default Which tank???

Hey Team,

I have an 02 S-Type 3.0 and I have a crack in the bottom of the overflow reservoir. I'm trying to order a new one but can't figure out which one it is? Different sites sell different ones for the same model and year. Which shape is it??? Please help!

Best Wishes,
Josh

Old 04-18-2013, 08:02 AM

Great thread! I think you've taught me everything I need to know to pull and replace my tank. One quick question before I do. I had the top nipple problem which I attempted (apparently successfully) to patch with JB Weld. However, when the car warmed up and the pressure really increased I started to get a pretty substantial leak from the bottom hose connection area. Are there any likely culprits here and should I be prepared to have to replace hoses or connectors, or is this most likely another problem with the tank and should proceed to replace it?

We have a 2004 S-Type with the 6 cylinder engine.

Thanks guys...this board has really inspired us to hang on to the car and take on a lot of these projects ourselves. Wouldn't have tried without finding you!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 AM

It's probably the tank, but you will need to take it out to be sure.

It looks like your new member intro slipped your mind.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
It's probably the tank, but you will need to take it out to be sure.

It looks like your new member intro slipped your mind.
I've got the tank out and the lower hose assembly that connects to it. Nothing obvious around the joint between the hose and tank where it was leaking. It does wobble a bit tho, so if this is supposed to be very tight, it isn't. I'm going to just plan on replacing both unless you guys have some wisdom to the contrary?

Old 07-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Smile Coolant tank replaced with help from Jaguar forum members!

I want to start out by thanking the Forum and its members for giving me the confidence to replace the coolant reservoir tank on our 2006 Stype R.
I had noticed coolant on the garage floor last weekend and upon further inspection noticed the fitting on the reservoir tank appeared to be cracked. A quick zip tie of the two small hoses took the weight off the one hose leading to the fitting and at least we could still drive the car without too much worry.

Subsequent quotes and part searches, local garage $350. Jaguar dealer; "$300-400" but "can't be sure till we see it". Ok so I check Jagbits, eBay, amazon, other parts sites and find that the majority of replacement tanks appear to be for either an X type or an XJ. Hour of searching and trying different part numbers and double checking photos and the Jaguar Forum, I finally found part number C2C41300 on Ebay through "discountautoparts" listed as New OES Genuine Coolant Reservoir Jaguar S-Type 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004

for $134.
The photos matched what I could see on my Stype and the fittings and locations appeared to also match.

I ordered it via eBay and with shipping the total was $150 with a promised arrival of July 8-10. I got the part on Tuesday July 2 (ordered on June 29). so great shipping service!

Ok, now the fun begins. I figured if I could get the old tank out I should be able to get the new one in. right? A couple of observations:
1. The bottom hose connection is very difficult to get to. The one guy who said he did the whole change out in 30 minutes must either be an experienced mechanic or have small hands or both. I struggled to get that clip off for at least ten minutes. Finally pried it up with a long shaft flat screwdriver and grabbed it with needle nose pliers. Once that was off, I remembered the hint about having a cap to put over the spout.
Weeelllll, easier said than done. At least I put a pan under the car and captured almost all the fluid. There was no way I could lift the tank and not spill any fluid AND then remove the electrical connector. So much for not making a mess.
Finally got the tank out. Whew. Now for the new one. Tried putting the bottom hose on first then the electrical. Nope that didn't work, I could not get to the connector to push it on. Next I put the electrical connector on first then struggled for 10-15 minutes to get the bottom hose fitting to mate up and remembering to get the two tabs on the right into the proper slots.
FINALLY! got the hose started and the tank down. Then I used the same long screwdriver to push/pull the hose into position all the way onto the fitting. That's frickin' tricky! I still have to put the clip on but figured a trip to the hardware store to get extra long needlenose pliers is in order and may make the clip replacement easier. That's for another day.
Meanwhile, filled the tank, checked for leaks and the new tank is in and car is working......
thanks to all of you for giving me some confidence to do this. You saved me at least $200.
Happy Fourth of July!

Quick Reply: Coolant reservoir tank replacment